mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Clicking Sound from Knucklebox

I noticed today that my knucklebox linkage is making a clicking sound at the beginning of its travel. The sound isn't coming from the shock, but the pivot point. Could this be a faulty bearing?

I do constantly bottom out my rear shock on big hits, maybe that has something to do with it. Here's a video of the noise, you can see that the sound is made only at the beginning of the shock travel

Let the good times roll.
    Ah. Noise. My favorite bike problem. I've spent many hours tracking down creaks and clicks on my Missions.

First, you shouldn't bottom out the shock often. That's bad for the frame. What are you calling big hits? I took my Mission with RP23 off 20' gaps and head-height drops without bottom out issues. I think either you aren't using enough pressure, or your shock is malfunctioning.

To address the noise, first inspect your frame for cracks and check that the pivot bolts are all properly tightened. Also check that the seatpost and seatpost clamp are clean, well lubed and tight. Those are the most common sources of noises in my experience, and they are easy to check.

If that doen't help, undo all the pivots (not just the Knucklebox) and inspect the bearings for grinding or excessive roughness. www.enduroforkseals.com has replacements if you need. I don't remember the bearing sizes, but you may get them for free if you can find out (call DB) and pass the info on to Enduro. While everything is apart, you might as well check the BB shell too. Be sure to use appropriate grease and torque when putting everything back together

Post back if none of that works. There are other possible sources of clicking sounds, but nothing worth investigating until you've checked the most obvious and accessible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the info, I definitely go through and check everything tomorrow. I run around 160psi in the rear shock, which is on the higher side for a 170-180 pound rider.

I've taken some big hits with it, 8-10 ft to flat, and some big gaps. I always run the propedal lever on 3 on jumps/drops and I still bottom out (as shown by the o-ring). I've been experimenting with faster rebound settings which have helped but not all the way.

Let the good times roll.
    You're welcome.

What exactly do you mean when you say bottom out? Using full travel and pushing the o-ring off the shaft is fine. Landing and hearing/feeling a solid bang through the frame is what will cause problems.

What sag are you getting? I only use pressure as a means to replicate shock settings in the future. I prefer sag when hunting for my ideal setup. If it helps you any, I had my RP23 just below 25% sag, rebound near the middle, and PP off for freeriding. I weigh about the same as you. That put the o ring off after most big hits, but never gave me a nasty bottom out. Sounds you're going a bit bigger than me, so you'll probably need a more aggressive setup.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I would check the DU bushings. If they develop play the result it noise in some cases. Wow your going huge on your mission. Once a long time ago I did 6 foot to flat on a bullit thought I compressed my spine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well that was a simple fix! One of the allen head bolts on the knuclebox came loose. Soundbegone

Let the good times roll.
    great!

I forgot about the DU bushings issue. If you ever have trouble with those in the future, consider switching to needle bearings. They last longer and give a bit of extra small bump plushness.