mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Catch 2 tire question(s)

Just got my Catch 2 in today and got it built. There's a lot of firsts for me with this bike--first Diamondback, first full suspension, first 27.5 (plus), first 1X....you get the picture. In fact, I'm coming from 26" hardtails. Most of the stuff I "get," but the tires have me scratching my head.

I need some advice on the stock tire PSI. I'm currently running with tubes although I'm strongly considering changing in the next few weeks if time allows. But until then I'll be riding with tubes.

What PSI range should I be running with tubes? The tire lists a pretty wide variable and I just have no experience with 27.5's, let alone 27.5+ tires. If it matters, I weigh ~190lbs. I put 25 PSI on them and rode in my yard briefly--it seemed squishy, but then again, my suspension wasn't set so maybe that affected my perception. I almost never ran my26"s that low, but I'm ignorant about this new platform.

My secondary question is about running tubeless (I suspect I'll end up having multiple questions). I've read some comments in these forums that folks are running ~17 PSI. Is running plus-sized tires at sub-20 PSI fairly standard in a tubeless configuration? I know I'll have to dial it in, but I'm trying to figure out a good starting point. I've never run any bike tires at that low of a PSI, so I'm concerned.

Dave's not here.
    Like you, I came from a FS 26er and this is my first 650b+ bike. I have a Catch 1 and immediately switched to tubeless. The pressures I am running are 16R/15F and I weigh 240 with gear. I can't comment on the pressure for tubes, but if I were you, I would ditch them ASAP. The tubes that came out of my bike weighed nearly a pound each and I am sure it's no different for your bike. You will need to experiment with pressures and find out what's will work for you. It took me some time, and without reading a lot about plus tire behavior at certain pressures, I finally nailed those numbers. If it's too inflated, you will bounce off the terrain. Too low and the tires will feel squirmy.
    Yo no hablo inglÚs