John Galt

Bushing kit or decals for V-Link?

Anyone out there have a bushing kit with which they'd be willing to part?

My bike is a 98 V-link 3.2, but I think they're the same for all years of V-Link, plus the 1998 V-6 (maybe not the team b/c of carbon fiber??), V-8 and V-10. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, if anyone knows where to get DBR decals (large ones for the 1998 down tubes), that would be a big help if I decide to re-paint or strip my frame. I'd like to keep a DBR label on it, not necessarily a model decal.

Thanks,
    Cegrover

Keep The Rubber Side Down

Call Diamondback

Quote Originally Posted by cegrover
    Anyone out there have a bushing kit with which they'd be willing to part?

My bike is a 98 V-link 3.2, but I think they're the same for all years of V-Link, plus the 1998 V-6 (maybe not the team b/c of carbon fiber??), V-8 and V-10. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, if anyone knows where to get DBR decals (large ones for the 1998 down tubes), that would be a big help if I decide to re-paint or strip my frame. I'd like to keep a DBR label on it, not necessarily a model decal.

Thanks,
    Cegrover
    For a set of decals. They'll just put some in the mail for you. 800-222-5527
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Need a bushing kit as well.

'97 V-Link 3.1

Or if you know of a substitute fix. I've called all the usual sources but nada so far. DBR promised at one point that they were still going to get the bushing kits from Japan but I've long given up on that promise.

Anyone got a source?

Not a lie

Quote Originally Posted by G-out
    '97 V-Link 3.1

Or if you know of a substitute fix. I've called all the usual sources but nada so far. DBR promised at one point that they were still going to get the bushing kits from Japan but I've long given up on that promise.

Anyone got a source?
    DBR is working on making new bushing kits for all years and models; it is difficult than first thought.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow
    DBR is working on making new bushing kits for all years and models; it is difficult than first thought.

Do you have more info on that? An ETA on when bushing kits might be available or a source to contact at DBR?

Thanks

None at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by G-out
    Do you have more info on that? An ETA on when bushing kits might be available or a source to contact at DBR?

Thanks
    I'll post here when they are dates available.

John Galt

No luck on decals

FYI: I just spoke with customer service at Diamondback. They don't have decals for any of the older DBR bikes (my frames are both from 1998 and they didn't have 'em). I also confirmed they don't have bushings. The rep didn't know of any plans to make them available again, but that doens't mean it's not in the works...

Cegrover

Not exactly true...

Quote Originally Posted by cegrover
    FYI: I just spoke with customer service at Diamondback. They don't have decals for any of the older DBR bikes (my frames are both from 1998 and they didn't have 'em). I also confirmed they don't have bushings. The rep didn't know of any plans to make them available again, but that doens't mean it's not in the works...

Cegrover
    Raleigh/Diamondback does not keep decals for the older models of bikes. Raleigh has been arond for over 115 years; Diamondback for over 25. It's impossible to have the decal set available for every bike ever made for each brand with the hopes that someone, somewhere, someday will call asking for one. The do have generic downtube decals that read "Diamondback" in several different fonts. They are free, just call and ask. They also have head badges.

As for the bushings, someone also gave you missinformation. They are going to bring them in. They are working on getting them made. Part of the problem is that Diamondback did not leave too much technical info for Raleigh when the company was purchased in 1999. Raleigh is having to basically re-invent the wheel.

John Galt
    I most certainly was not anticipating their having full decal sets for every bike ever made under either brand name. I simply wondered if there was a cutoff point (5 years, 10 years, 15 years?) for 'normal' stocking or if there was any surplus availability.

I'm still not sure there is a specific cutoff point, but the rep yesterday confirmed that the DBR decals (general or specific to any one model) are not available. I passed that info along to help others who, like me, may be considering a new paint job and would like to keep the 'stock' look.

I'd be perfectly happy if I could get just a large "DBR" for the downtube. Perhaps if enough of us ask for that, a business case will exist for their making them (as has apparently happened with the bushings). Of course, I'm assuming I'm not the only interested party out here.

Your comment on the bushings is largely consistent with what the rep said yesterday - he indicated that there was little info left from the 90s DBR days and essentially no parts. He did comment that they get a lot of requests for the V-Link/V6/V8/V10 parts. As I said before, a customer service rep not being aware of future development certainly doesn't mean said development isn't on track...

If anyone involved is reading: I'd be happy to laon out one of my '98 "V" frames for bushing development purposes - especially if it came back with new paint and decals!

Cegrover

Decals available from Diamondback

I think that cegrover and I are arguing about the same thing that we're both agreeing on . cegrover, we cool?!

Here are what the current decals that Diamondback has available are:
    Attached Images Attached Images

John Galt
    No worries at all - was just clarifying! Thanks for the decal samples.

Cegrover

Harmonius Wrench

Bushings for V-Link

I have been watching this board with interest concerning the bushing kits and the decals. I can add that our shops rep also confirmed that the bushing kits were going to be made available again. Also, when I bought my V-Link Pro back in '95, I learned that the bushings were standard hardware store issue, and would easily be had at any good hardware/ fastener outlet. I had an upper shock bolt break on me just the other day, and it was an easily replaced piece. While it may be some time before Raliegh/ Diamondback get these "official" parts out, you may be able to track down the parts today, at a good hardware outlet.

On the issue of the decals, I believe that any good vinyl sign making company could repro the originals as long as they can see an original first. We have a company locally that can do them overnight, if need be.They may be a little thicker than the originals, but would be hard to tell from more than three feet away.

I enjoy my V-Link Pro to this day, just rode it this afternoon! A very worthy design, even though it's ten years old-(well...ALMOST!) Diamondback should still be making that one!

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    . Also, when I bought my V-Link Pro back in '95

I had a 1996 V-link, I thought 1996 was the first year for the V-link?
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Harmonius Wrench

You are correct; however.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    I had a 1996 V-link, I thought 1996 was the first year for the V-link?
    The model year was released earlier in '95. I was told that my bike was in the first shipment that hit U.S. shores. I took delivery on December 15th, 1995. Ahhh.........I remember the day clearly! Riding a new bike in freshly fallen snow.

So, you are correct, the "first" year for the V-link was '96, but a lucky few got their greezy mits on one before the calendar year!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I just spoke to RaleighAmerica and it doesn't appear they have any plans to produce bushing kits - or any other parts - for the V-Links. The 5-year warranty is obviously long expired and they say they just don't get requests for V-link stuff.

Does anyone have any other info? I have heard rumors over the years that Jamis? bushings might work but could never confirm that. Has anyone ever found an independent bushing supplier or mfgr that might have something? Could a machine shop whip them up without costing an arm and a leg? Could a sealed bearing replacement work ? ( without costing an arm and a leg ).

I am emailing him this entire thread in the hopes that something will turn up. If there are any other DBR owners looking for parts/bushings, put something up on this thread now and let them know you are out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hello there,
    I just found this thread while searching the net to see if I could find suspension bushings for my DBR's. I have a green 98 V6 and a 2001 (I think) white and red XR-8 frameset I bought off ebay a while back. The XR has a little play an a "click" when you rock the rear triangle from side to side. I only noticed this after I stripped cleaned and greased the bearings so i suppose it could be I haven't reassembled the main pivot correctly. I know very little about the XR8, I just bought it because it looked like an updated version of my V6. If anyone has any info on the original build or other technical details I'd love to hear about it.

John Galt
    Nice bikes! XR-8 was DB/DBR's top-of-the-line XC bike in 1999 and 2000. It came with a mix of XTR and XT parts. The bike was technically the replacement for the V8, which filled the same role in 1998. All three are really light FS bikes, mostly due to component selection, as they shared frames with other models. Here's a link to the 1999 specs:

http://www.airfreetires.com/Specs/St...%2D8&Year=1999

You can navigate to the 2000 model on the same site.

As far as play in bearings, you can try a bearing supplier to see if those used on the frame are standard sizes and thus available. You may be able to get them fairly easily, but I don't have any direct experience with your model frame.

ground hugger

labelslabelslabels

there is a seller on ebay right now who is selling DBR decals under this name in various sizes and colors. I am not sure of the quality though.