Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Broken Mission

8K views 94 replies 19 participants last post by  nath69 
#1 ·
Today I was washing my bike and I noticed that I've got a nice long crack across of the front of the bell crank mount. Total bummer. I don't know how this happened. Bad design maybe? It seems like there is a lot of force put on that small section of welding/material. Hopefully I can get a new frame/front triangle from Diamondback without much hassle. I hope.

#27 ·
Cracked my '08 Mission in the exact same place last week.

It has led a sheltered life until I decided to clear out the bike shed and keep the Mission and one hard tail. I had read about these failures prior to it happening so checked regularly. Funnily enough, it cracked on a moderate single trail any Walmart bike I'm sure would have survived without failing. I weigh 100kg and was riding gently as I had my 7 year old boy riding with me.

My LBS has taken photo's and sending off to the importers for Wararanty claim. I did like the feel of the bike but if it is going to happen again and again on each frame I may consider building up a Reign as my all mountain bike. Hopefully DB has now gussetted the frame where the mount is attached.

#28 ·
I wouldn't worry about broken frames becoming a repeat issue. I've been riding the heck out of my frame for more than a year with no problems. I'm the same person who killed my first two (2007) frames within a couple months. I'd say that Diamondback has defnitely fixed the issue as of the 2009 frames:thumbsup:. As mentioned above, I believe they changed the welding in that area to make it more robust.

Giants are great bikes also though. I don't think you would be the least bit unhappy with a Reign as your AM rig. I'm thinking about building up a Reign X or Faith in the next year or 2 as a heavy duty AM bike with coil suspension front and rear. That will be sweeeeet!

#29 ·
It was a early batch of 08's and 07's with that problem, The frame was beefed up and there haven't been any issue that I've heard of. With the warranty replacement the new frame might be an 09 Mission 3, I had one customer crack one and he got a new M3 frame!! Minewisejosh knows about that too. The replacement I got has been ridden longer and harder than before and no problems.

#31 ·
Good and Bad

News back from LBS.

GOOD: My LBS has informed me news from DB importer is good and the warranty will be honoured as it is a manufacture and design fault (not the first).

BAD: Diamondback Mission no longer distributed in Australia and as a result may have to accept another brand from the former DB distributer. A whole bike at a discount which I don't really want, just the frame to swap components over, not spend more money I don't have due to kids, motgage, insurance etc etc etc. The minister for war and finance will not be happy.

On another note, anyone have any thoughts on the Haro Xeon or Norco Fluid?

Ride safe - where ever you go, there you are!!!

#32 ·
I rode a Xeon and didn't like it one bit. The geometry felt tall and awkward to me, and the suspension didn't feel very smooth. That could all be due to bad set up of course, but my first impression was not good.

I don't know much about Norco AM bikes, but I think you'll want a LT 6.x not a Fluid as replacement for the Mission. One of my friends has a Norco DH bike and absolutely loves it (he also has an Ellsworth freeride bike, so pretty high standards there). That's about all the experience I have with the brand. They do use the Horst link design wich can be pretty good if designed right. Between those two options, I'd go with a Norco. Any other options? Maybe GT, Giant, Trek, Mongoose...?

Why can't they just sell you a frame instead of the whole new bike?

Good luck with resolving this issue.

#33 · (Edited)
Mission Frame

Looking like maybe a 2010 front triangle replacement at this stage.

Apparently Pacific Brands still imports Diamondback but only for Big W (Australian version of Walmart I guess) which will do nothing for the Australian perception of the brand other than compare it to Huffy.

Would anyone know if there is much difference between the 2008 and 2010 Mission frames? I noticed the top tube does not have as much bend in it which I hope does not compromise the good stand over.

Will the rear shock, knucklebox and rear swingarm fit the 2010 front triangle?

It looks like the frame mount for the knucklebox is quite different and hopefully beefed up. Also head is tapered (1.5 to 1.125) meaning they are serious about the bike and its intended use.

Cheers all

#34 ·
I think that's something to ask your shop to be sure, but I don't think your swingarm will work. The 2010 Mission is a complete redesign. It doesn't even use the same size shock (longer eye to eye and stroke). They really get you a whole frame. A new shock would be nice too, but I guess that's probably asking for too much.

#36 ·
I just broke my 08 Mission 2 frame in the same exact spot. I got the bike on closeout and have only had it for 5 weeks. Diamondback has been awesome and is sending an 09 Mission frame as a replacement but unfortunately I have to have my LBS swap the parts over for liability reasons so its going to cost me about a $100. I have only ridden the bike 5 times so to me its like I just spent an extra $100 for my bike.

#37 ·
Bad news Roostfactor.

I have heard another Mission owner in Australia has just had their frame crack within the last week as well.

Kind of stinks that you still have to spend more money to fix a manufacturing and engineering fault that the manufacturuer has acknowledged and will warranty.

So far my joy is limited. Seems Pacific Brands are d!cking around the issue and are having problems finding a frame. I have made it clear to the LBS it will have to come with a factory rear shock if it is a 2010 frame, they can have the old shock back with the broken frame.

Good to hear DB is looking after you there.

N

#38 ·
Yeah, the 2010 frame does take a longer shock with a longer stroke. Another concern is the 1.5 to 1 1/8 head tube on the new model. Plus the fact that all the new bikes have at least a 150mm fork on them so I wonder if there is a difference in frame geometry to compensate for the added suspension travel.

Diamondback is being awesome with me and giving me a new shock and an 09 mission 3 frame so I am getting a big bonus with the fox rp23 free upgrade (i now have a float r) but I am still a little weary of breaking another 09 frame and then incurring the cost of the LBS building up another bike again.

#39 ·
Liability? That sounds a bit silly to me. I built of my second frame up and nobody complained about it. My shop was going to do it for free, so that was just so much less work for them. Anyways, I wouldn't worry about breaking that '09 frame. I haven't broken mine yet, and I'm not exactly gentle on parts. I just screwed up yet another wheel today...

#40 ·
Would anyone have the DB email address? The website only directs you only to a USA dealer.
Seems everyone in Nth America has great wraps on DB customer service but I cannot get any answers here via my LBS from Pacific Brands. I may have to contact DB myself or via the shop rather than through the importers.

I've been without a bike now for 3-4 weeks - getting a bit restless!!!

#41 · (Edited)
Hey thanks for the heads up on the 09 frame. Well Diamondback doesnt know me or my mechanical capabilities so I can understand to an extent, and since I didnt buy the bike from the LBS they understandably arent going to do the work for free.

I understand the situation but am pi$$ed off that I have to pay $100 extra for a 5 week old bike.

nath69, did you see if your local distributor will let you return your bike and maybe just pay the difference (if any) with a different model since you cant the Mission anymore?
I understand your predicament....I also have two kids, mortgage, etc. My military Chief of Staff was smoking hot after I told her my brand new bike was going to cost $100 to get it fixed! It was a thing of.......um....um........beauty?

#42 ·
nath69,
this is posted on the US Diamondback site. They may or may not be able to help but at least its another contact direct to the source.

If you have specific questions or concerns about your Diamondback or any other Diamondback, check first with your local authorized Diamondback dealer. Our dealers are very helpful and are prepared to answer most questions that come up and in a timely manner.

If you have a question or concern that could not be addressed and / or resolved at your local authorized Diamondback Dealer, and you live within the United States, give us a call at(253) 395-1100 and ask for customer service or send us some snail mail using the address above.

#43 ·
Ah, I understand better now. When you said LBS, I figured, incorrectly, that's where you got your bike. In that case $100 isn't really that bad for a full build. I hope they do a good job for you.

My shop knows me pretty well, so they may have just not enforced that policy knowing that I'd do a safe job with the assembly.

#44 ·
Yeah, I got my bike mail order as an 08 closeout and not from the LBS.
The full build is using all my parts as carry over from old bike so there wont be any need to run new cables, housings, or anything.
At least I feel comfortable with the shop, they are all pros there.....no part time inexperienced personnel.

#45 ·
Roostfactor said:
nath69, did you see if your local distributor will let you return your bike and maybe just pay the difference (if any) with a different model since you cant the Mission anymore?
They did indicate maybe a full Haro Xeon plus cash but some upraded components (XT etc.) on the Mission I would not want to lose. I think the Mission is a better bike anyway. Only Diamondback's available in Australia now are nasty Big W (Walmart) models. I'm really hoping for a new Mission frame (I do like look of the 2010 frame).

#48 ·
My LBS called and said they had a frame for me. Turns out Pacific brands sent a 2010 haro Sonix (one that looks like a Xeon) Frame only.

My LBS can send it back - it is not even close to same style of bike.

Only 120mm rear travel - no shock included - need to buy shock.
Designed for 100mm travel fork - will not suite 160mm fork I have
Only 18" , I specified large 20"
Need head set
Need seat post
need new front derailler
BB and crancks not suitable

Looks like I will have to call them myself. Another week without a ride!

#49 ·
Well I joined MTBR not too long ago but have only been hanging out in the Arizona forum. Nice to see a Diamonback forum for us, but too bad my first post is about cracked frames. I too have an 08 Mission. Bought it new over a year ago. Rode it pretty mild until recently. (Til I joined MTBR and found some riding bros) I will check the frame as soon as I get home and report back asap.

#50 ·
WTF!? Someone must not be thinking straight to send you a Haro XC bike as a replacement for a Mission without at least checking first. I could maybe see sending a Xeon, but it would make sense to check with you for that too.

Anyways, like I said before, I think you'll be dissapointed with any of the Haro FS bikes after riding Mission. There aren't many bikes that ride like the Mission...

#51 ·
zukicidal said:
Well I joined MTBR not too long ago but have only been hanging out in the Arizona forum. Nice to see a Diamonback forum for us, but too bad my first post is about cracked frames. I too have an 08 Mission. Bought it new over a year ago. Rode it pretty mild until recently. (Til I joined MTBR and found some riding bros) I will check the frame as soon as I get home and report back asap.
That's always a good thing to do periodically. I've cracked 3 frames so far (not just Diamondbacks), and I caught them all before it became a safety issue. I've also seen first hand what happens to folks who don't check for cracks. Ouch....:nono:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.