mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Bike mechanics...help with drivetrain on 2011 Overdrive

I need a little guidance to get a new drivetrain on my 2011 Overdrive. I just bought a new chain, and it is skipping like crazy under load. On the stand, I can shift to all gears very easily. My deraileur hanger is not bent, but the crank and cassette teeth are visibly worn. I have the stock crankset on the bike, and have upgraded to Mavic wheels with Shimano disc hubs.

I want to keep my 3x8 drivetrain, as I use most gears for different duties. Can someone point me in the right direction for a new cassette and cranks? I want to get the parts and the necessary tools to do this for less than $150 if possible. I know I need a chain whip, and a cassette lock ring tool...what else?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hello? Bueller?? Bueller?? Anyone have any insight??

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Bike mechanics...help with drivetrain on 2011 Overdrive

Did you want to do it yourself? I had a problem with a cassette skipping and took it to a local shop and $20 bucks later it was fixed with a new 13t cog they had extra and a tune up. It may just need a new cassette, the cranks are fine for a while. Take it to a shop, the least they can do is give you an estimate.

If you are hell bent on doing it yourself, go on amazon, get an 8 speed cassette, avenir chain whip, and a cassette lock ring tool (total this could be about $40-50) and youtube the steps.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I did exactly as you said, but bought a new Sram crank, and Park brothers crank puller. I did the job myself, then took the bike to the LBS for a tune and going over. Next thing will be a new suspension fork...once I get the wife to ease up on the wallet.