mtbr member
    Feb 2010

best budget fork

So I am starting the planning process of my buildup of my base response. I want it to have better components and durability than my 08 comp. Im on a budget.. so first thing is what kind of fork do you recommend? I hear about the tora 302 etc... Keep in mind I am an average rider that does not do any serious drops. I rode the crap out of my base response and I think the front fork is finally done. I just would like an honest opinons and prices for forks ..

I do mainly xc.. In Ohio... Great fast tracks.. and trails.
    I like to ride my bike.

Fat-tired Roadie
    What fork do you have now?

I remember the 318 getting a lot of good buzz a couple years ago. I think the 302 had a plastic damper that some people broke. Read about turnkey vs motion control.

I killed my last fork recently enough to have looked at current-generation stuff. At the time, I decided it was Recon Gold or go home. Then a friend hooked me up with an '01 Marzocchi Bomber. So, older forks can be a feasible option. It takes a bit more research.

For semi-disposable, the Manitou Match is getting good buzz lately. I haven't tried it.

Last but not least, a rigid fork rides better than a cheap suspension fork.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Marzocchi MZ Comp, 120mm travel is for the 08 comp. thats stock. Its prety good. The base response has a rst gila.. garbage..

Did you see the rock shox gold?
    I like to ride my bike.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Wait, are you saying you have a nicely functioning Response and you bought an additional but crappy Response? Why??

I never looked at the Recon Gold. Bear in mind that RS attaches the same level references to lots of forks, so "rock shox gold" is ambiguous. I think they used the precious metal names on a couple different models at the time.

My shiny new bike has a Reba RL. This is the Motion Control damper that has compression to lock, and it's quite nice. Though separate adjustments or a separate adjustment and switch are a little easier. (Not much - it's easy to go to the same compression setting every time.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have several bikes for different occasions. I like the 07 base response I wanna build up as my "bad ass bike" The comp I will use most, in stock configuration. Once the 07 is done, I will use that for new exciting. perhaps challenging places.. The comp is my "daily driver"
    I like to ride my bike.

Fat-tired Roadie
    What would you do on the '07 that will make it more badass but no longer a good everyday ride?

I think the fork is actually a pretty good place to start. Are you going to "fork" this new bike with something big - 140+? It'll be more expensive, but if you're going to throw a bunch of parts with this thing, at least do something different. Otherwise IMO the money would be better spent on the bike you already like or on wine, women and song.

When I bought my shiny new bike recently, I was thinking that in going FS, I might compromise on climbing. But when comparing to an older, lower-end hardtail, getting a bike that's better at everything is not that hard. It climbs better too, and the old bike is now a backup, and a bike I can leave at my office for lunch rides. So another thought would be to improve upon whatever you're not as happy with about the bike you like, and leave the '07 as a backup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I live in Cleveland and love the Browns. Thats why I want the 07 orange peel response to be bad ass. It was also my first diamondback. Sort of a corny sentimental thing. Also the reason why I want more strongboxes to build..

250 is probably my limit on a fork. I was reading on the rock shox recon gold 30 affordable fun.. now another question I have is..

my comp is 120 mm of travel and its ok,, unless it really is rough.. The base response has a 100 mm but doesnt offer much comfort. The gold30 is 100mm. Will there be a serious difference.? I never had a bad ass fork before.
    I like to ride my bike.

Fat-tired Roadie
    For me, it's more about quality of travel than quantity. Granted, it's hard to have both plushness over small bumps and good bottom-out resistance in 80 mm of travel. But 120 mm isn't an improvement if the fork has a lot of stiction and too soft a spring. Then you'd get a harsh ride over small bumps and the fork would blow through its travel. Lame.

Anyway, more travel does mean you can set up your suspension to sag a little more and have a little softer initial response without also bottoming out easily. So that's good.

I don't even know what "bad ass bike" means to you right now. What kind of riding did you have in mind for this one, as opposed to what you'd do on your '08?