Thread: Axis Sport 27.5

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Axis Sport 27.5

I am curious why more people do not have this bike? I was only able to find two reviews for this model and another for one of the other Axis models.

What I was able to find was positive so I ordered one anyway. ***** sporting goods has it currently for 450.00 and it was better equipped than the Pitch 650 I had planned to buy, that would have cost 100 bucks more.

I would like to hear from anyone that owns one.

Thanks,
    Bart

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I was recently comparing the axis comp to the overdrive sport. Ultimately I went with the 29er wheel size over the 27.5 mainly because I found the 27.5 kinda blah. My current 26 was more agile than the 27.5 but wasn't nearly as fast as the 29er. I guess it just a weird middle ground till manufactures completely stop making 26 inch bikes. I picked up the overdrive sport on amazon for $450 - a $50 coupon I had on there.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Be aware that the Axis XE is not the same as the regular Axis Sport on amazon or diamondback website. I just ordered one on amazon for $449 but ship within 2 to 4 months. The price jumped back to 632 on amazon. I am going to LBS test ride some 27.5 and 29er. I might change to airborne guardian 2.0 if I like the 29er.

mtbr member
    I am considering this bike, but the Pro version. I think the extra $$ is worth it for a Fox fork over a XC30 or Suntour fork. I would probably replace the brakes and wheels though. too many bad experiences with SRAM/ Avid hydros. I would rather run mechanicals than Avid hydros.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Does anyone have any experience with the 2015 version of this bike (or even the 2014 since it's pretty similar)? I found it for what seems like a steal online but have only seen a couple of user reviews for it... would like to hear more if possible

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I just bought a Axis Sport from REI. Have not really had a chance to use it yet. I did not see much on it in general, except online sales.

mtbr member

Axis Sport 27.5

Just picked up the Axis SE from Dcks sporting goods for my teenage daughter. I think these bikes are fine for light duty trail riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Way to emasculate me........
    Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnhi View Post
    Just picked up the Axis SE from Dcks sporting goods for my teenage daughter. I think these bikes are fine for light duty trail riding.

Quiet Professional
    If your masculinity is based off what others say about bikes you need help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sorry it was a joke....... We are all talking about our new bikes.....

Oh and by the way I got almost the same bike for my daughter, and it's OK for light use..

mtbr member

Axis XE

I bought my first MTB from *****. Its a DB Axis XE... I've managed to make it into a great bike BUT i'd say spend some extra cash up front if you can but if your funds are limited then just do the best with what you can afford... thats what I did.

Heres my DB Axis XE... I bought it earlier this year and as you can see I've done a few things.

Axis Sport 27.5-axispainted.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hans I just got this bike with the intention of upgrading as I go. Mind sharing what you've upgraded?

mtbr member
    Spectre3...... Here's what I have done to my Axis XE and why.

I bought my Axis XE from DSP, got it tuned by a local bike shop, then took it trail riding 4 or 5 times. After riding and finding where the weak spots on the bike for me I did a bunch of reading on forums and watched tons of youtube vids about mountain bikes and what other people have done to improve them for trail use (bc thats the type riding I primarily do).

Upgrades/Changes so far:
    -Splatter Paint Job just to personalize it
    -Raidon front fork (I got it using the SR Suntour Upgrade program) (*This fork performs fantastically! I've read several reveiws on this fork and many have suggested that it out performs many of the entry/mid level RockShox. Whether thats true or not I can testify that this fork is wonderful on the trail)
    -Nashbar Platform Pedals (Great so far! Wish they were a little thinner tho but can't beat the price)
    -Truativ 700mm Handlebars with 20mm rise (bike had 600mm/15 rise) (*this will probably hurt me a little on climbing but I'm ok with that because it'll give me more control on descents)
    -1x8 conversions using a Raceface 32T chainring on the stock XCT crank (when riding I noticed I really only used the middle chainring, which was a 32t, so I just simplified it and eliminated the inner and outer chainrings and shifter)
    -Avid FR-5 lever for front brake (still using the Shimano EF-51 for the back brake/shifter)
    -I have some RockBros MTB EVA Foam Light Grips on the way bc I've been told foam grips are comfy and cheap to replace if they mess up.
    -Lizard Skin Chainstay guard.... because why not? Its not that expensive and looks better than wrapping the chainstay with tape or an old tube or something.

Upgrades Needed:
    -BRAKES! The Tekros Aries are horrendous. I want some Avid BB7's. I've also been told the SLX Hydros are a great budget brake but I kinda just want to stick with mechanical on this bike.
    -Tires.... I've lost traction a few time when I shouldn't have. The stock tires are a bit too hard... but I plan to use them until they're worn out.

So that's how I have mine set up but don't let what i've done be the standard on how to upgrade the Axis XE. I've merely outfitted mine to fit my style of riding, which is mostly trail riding.
    Counting everything from the price of the bike to the new parts and the little bit of labor cost from my local bike shop I've got $900 in this bike... but that's $900 spread over about three months of tinkering. I could have just bought a $1000 bike and been done (maybe) but buying this cheaper Axis XE and upgrading it to my liking has helped me figure out what I like in a bike. So now when I one day buy a $1000+ bike I will know what type components/set up I'll want.

Sorry for rambling on I just want to provide as much insight as I can. Enjoy you budget rig!
    If I crash in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thank you for the detail. Like you I'll be upgrading to a Raidon fork. I'll also be upgrading to wider handlebars as even though I'm 5' 7", I have wide shoulders and the 600mm factory ones just aren't getting it. I'm just gonna deal with the tires until they wear out at which point I'll also upgrade the brakes, probably BB7s like you for ease of maintenance. At some point I'd like to upgrade the drivetrain to save weight but it's not a necessity.

mtbr member
    Just wanted to chime in on the Axis Sport 27.5.

This is my buddies new DB bike which after a small debate I encouraged him to get the Axis over the Recoil. Yes, it's a small frame with the seat lowered. He is a fairly short guy, think Danny Devito. I don't live in his state (AZ) but I would like to see how he is positioned on the bike. We opted for the Sport as it seemed to have a slightly better components for the price range. I don't know if he will upgrade any parts on it, that all depends if he wants to get more into mountain biking or not.

Axis Sport 27.5-img_6876.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I plan on buying the same bike, I want to upgrade the forks, is there any specific specs I should know about

mtbr member
    Personally, I don't know. I would take it to a bike shop and consult with them. My friend is leaving it all stock as he is just a casual rider.