Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone here seen or ridden a Sortie 29er?

7K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  ftajiri 
#1 ·
Curious to see if anyone has ridden a Sortie 29er? Can't find a whole of of press on it, save for one or two internet reviews.

Bike magazine had a blurb on it in their bible issue, but other than that, it's as if no one owns this bike out there.

Curious to hear some ride impressions, fit, etc.

#5 ·
I have not seen any around here where I live either. I'm in Chattanooga, TN and no one has them nor do any of the bigger cities that I'm close too (Nashville, KNoxville, Atlanta). I know because I was interested in buying one but wanted to demo one and there were none. I called everywhere closest to me and none were on hand. IDK what the deal is on this bike and I wonder if DB may cancel this for lack of sales. The reviews seem to be good but IDK. I've never seen them on the trails either.

Don't know what to say about it...

#7 ·
Honest Review

This short review is coming from someone who has a SC Tallboy LTc on order. I sold my Salsa Spearfish that I loved cause my riding tends to be pretty aggressive and the Spearfish just wasn't enough bike for what I wanted to do. My LBS owner is letting me ride is Sortie 29er 2 while I wait for my frame to come in. Right now I am under my usual fitness level so last Thursday when my brother and I decided we would do a 3 hour climb followed by an hour descent I was a little worried that my legs would blow up. Starting out on the Sortie I immediately felt comfortable on the bike. There wasn't anything weird at all about the fit. It just felt right. While we climbed I was really impressed with the efficiency of the Knuckle Box suspension design. I had tons of traction even on the steepest climbs and the bike seemed to just motor up everything. Now, it wasn't a peppy feeling bike on the climbs and I think the combination of a stout (read a little heavy) frame and my lack of fitness played major rolls in that feeling. That being said my brother was really surprised with how well I was climbing and honestly so was I. I give a lot of credit to the bike being natural and efficient. I couldn't detect any sort of flex while standing and pedaling so the bike felt plenty stiff. I don't know what the BB height is but I only had one pedal strike on a rocky section of the climb but on the descent I felt like I could rail the corners. Going down is where the bike is at home. The beefy frame was extremely stable and confidence inspiring. It's scary how fast you can get going on this bike and thankfully it's able to handle it all. There is one thing that I wished was different on the bike. The Sortie is so capable descending that I was really wishing it had Fox's new 34 on it. It felt like the rear suspension was able to handle more than what the fork could so the addition of the 34 to me is the perfect upgrade for this bike.
To see if my impressions of the bike were correct I did another 2 hour ride this morning and everything from the first ride was confirmed. I really, really like this bike. I think this bike with a 34 fork on it would be able to handle everything that the SC Tallboy LT can just a little slower because of it's weight. If I wasn't building up my dream bike in the SC Tallboy LTc this bike would definitely make it on my short list. I hope that helps those who are considering buying this bike. I think anyone who pulls the trigger on one will be very happy with their decision. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will try my best to answer them.
Here are a few pics of my ride this morning

Attachments

#15 ·
This short review is coming from someone who has a SC Tallboy LTc on order. I sold my Salsa Spearfish that I loved cause my riding tends to be pretty aggressive and the Spearfish just wasn't enough bike for what I wanted to do. My LBS owner is letting me ride is Sortie 29er 2 while I wait for my frame to come in. Right now I am under my usual fitness level so last Thursday when my brother and I decided we would do a 3 hour climb followed by an hour descent I was a little worried that my legs would blow up. Starting out on the Sortie I immediately felt comfortable on the bike. There wasn't anything weird at all about the fit. It just felt right. While we climbed I was really impressed with the efficiency of the Knuckle Box suspension design. I had tons of traction even on the steepest climbs and the bike seemed to just motor up everything. Now, it wasn't a peppy feeling bike on the climbs and I think the combination of a stout (read a little heavy) frame and my lack of fitness played major rolls in that feeling. That being said my brother was really surprised with how well I was climbing and honestly so was I. I give a lot of credit to the bike being natural and efficient. I couldn't detect any sort of flex while standing and pedaling so the bike felt plenty stiff. I don't know what the BB height is but I only had one pedal strike on a rocky section of the climb but on the descent I felt like I could rail the corners. Going down is where the bike is at home. The beefy frame was extremely stable and confidence inspiring. It's scary how fast you can get going on this bike and thankfully it's able to handle it all. There is one thing that I wished was different on the bike. The Sortie is so capable descending that I was really wishing it had Fox's new 34 on it. It felt like the rear suspension was able to handle more than what the fork could so the addition of the 34 to me is the perfect upgrade for this bike.
To see if my impressions of the bike were correct I did another 2 hour ride this morning and everything from the first ride was confirmed. I really, really like this bike. I think this bike with a 34 fork on it would be able to handle everything that the SC Tallboy LT can just a little slower because of it's weight. If I wasn't building up my dream bike in the SC Tallboy LTc this bike would definitely make it on my short list. I hope that helps those who are considering buying this bike. I think anyone who pulls the trigger on one will be very happy with their decision. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will try my best to answer them.
Here are a few pics of my ride this morning
Where is that? Albuquerque?

#8 ·
We just got 2 demos in a 1.0 and a 2.0 and I have yet to take them out but they look awesome. Some of my co-workers have taken them out and their first impressions are that they are really stable and smooth. Only complaint is on the 1.0 it doesn't have the 12x142 rear or 15 front so it flexed a little.

#9 ·
I own a 2012 Sortie 1 29er and love it! I don't worry about flex or any like that, but the bike is fast and very fun to ride! Diamondback are not just a big box store bike, they make some serious highend equipment!
I own a 2011 Mission 1 also, that bike is scary fast on downhills!!!

#10 ·
I have a Sortie 29er 3. Also have a 2011 Anthem X 29er 1. I love the Anthem because it's very light for a 29er but I find myself always wanting to ride the Sortie 29er 3, since I have a lot more fun with that one. It's awesome on climbs and it's just impressive on descends :) I just feel that I can throw whatever the trail gives and it won't break compared to always being a bit cautious with the Anthem thinking that a big bad jump might break it. I love both bikes very much but if I had to choose right now, I would go for the Sortie 3 since it's more of my riding style (I don't race) and I can't really notice the extra weight when riding.

#12 ·
I'm 5'10" , about 168 pounds. I use the Medium size frame and it fits me 100% perfect. The seat post is the perfect height as well, I use it all the way to the max length and it's just right for my sitting position.

I was a bit skeptical at first, buying a $3500 bike with Diamondback brand due to people disliking the brand because they also sell lower end bikes I guess. But now I actually like the fact that the bikes is unique. I haven't seen another one anywhere around my city on all the trails I ride... and on the other hand, I see tons of Giant bikes :)

#16 ·
I was a bit skeptical at first, buying a $3500 bike with Diamondback brand due to people disliking the brand because they also sell lower end bikes I guess.
Why is this? I've read on many boards and heard many people on the trails and LBS's telling me "Don't buy a DB dude." I've also been told if I ever want to resell it after a year of use you'll get nothing for it. Why all the bad perception of their stuff? Seems they do make some high end stuff that no one can compete with on the price point they offer it at with the component level. The fact that they make some $300 bikes is what causes this? That is crazy if that is the case, and it makes no sense to me.:confused:

I do agree that I have never seen this bike on the trail ever! I've seen a mission once but never this bike. Even though I bought the Tallboy I will take the chance to ride one of these if ever the opportunity presents itself. My assumptions about the bike seem to be exactly what I though based on what TLD80 wrote, in comparison to the SC Tallboy.

#13 ·
I'm very biased of course, but I rode a Sortie 29'r for the first time this weekend. It was actually my first time ever riding a 29'r and I was blown away at how fun the bike was. I was coming off a 2013 Mission and the Sortie 29'r was amazing. It was light, fast, and flew down the trails. I didn't think I would enjoy riding a 29'r at all (being a DH guy), but the bike was really fun. I can't wait to get one and put some more miles on it!

-KT

#19 ·
over-all size..

one reason the sortie 29er is so much fun is when i place mine next to my mission 1, they are the same over-all size. both are large 21" frames however the the mission has 1 150mm fork compared to the 120mm on the sortie.
switching back and forth from one to the other doesn't feel that much different!!!
DT

#20 ·
I got out on a 16 mile ride on the sortie 29er today and I loved it! It climbed great, was really stable going dh, and I was still able to flick it around and jump it. This was my first time on a 29er and I am coming from a slacker more all mountain 26" bike that can be a little overkill for my regular trails but the sortie was way easier to climb and didn't hold me back on the downhills. I might be drinking the 29er kool-aid soon.

#34 ·
spent a few months here in nh on a decked out full xtr, easton 90 wheels and cockpit sortie 29 blackbox this spring. great bike on the up and down, but the big deal breaker for me was the unbelievably flex rear end. i'm 6' 165lb and i've never ridden a bike that was so flexy. you can grab the wheel and pull the thing a ton from side to side and can really feel it in the corners/off camber.

chain stays are long as well. many companies now are offering 1/2-3/4" shorter chain stays on longer travel 29ers full sussys

i'm a bike shop manager and have been for close to 20 years so i've thrown a leg over lots of bikes.

the fit, spec, aesthetics, and suspension design are top notch, just tighten up the rear....a lot.

rog

#35 ·
great bike on the up and down, but the big deal breaker for me was the unbelievably flex rear end. i'm 6' 165lb and i've never ridden a bike that was so flexy.
I went back and read a review from Guitar Ted and he also comments about the rear flex. His thought was that the low seat stay design caused this. Was it really that bad for you? I'm considering this bike but don't want to deal with a flexy rear-end. I had a Voodoo Canzo and you could grab the rear wheel and watch the whole rear tri flex. Didn't work too well on our rugged AZ trails. Bummer to hear this about the Sortie 29! :bluefrown:

#39 · (Edited)
New Ride

I know this is the Diamondback forum but I had a few people ask me to post up pics of my Tallboy LTc once it was built up so I thought I would oblige. Only change coming is a dropper post after Interbike. I want to see what 2013 has in store before I pull the trigger on one. Here she is:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.