Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

anybody here have the overdrive?

i have a 2012 overdrive 29er i got back in november. The front fork is terrible, and the chain likes to jump when i pedal hard climbing.

is this frame worth putting upgrades on? any advice on what fork works well with this bike? i am a newb at biking so at this point, buying a better bike isnt really an option. i would prefer to upgrade anyways as I like the bike as a whole.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    agreed the suntour forks are pretty horrible, suntour offer a program for upgrading forks. I was planning to get the raidon, which i heard it decent fork for the money. however i end up getting a used rockshox recon gold
    Diamondback Overdrive Sport
    Airborne Sabre

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    yeah i thought about doing the upgrade program, but after having this fork, it is hard to go with a suntour again. i know it is their bottom of the line, but it is just that awful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

I ended up going with the xfusion slide and I love it so far. It made a huge difference

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Which overdrive did you get and where? I'm thinking of getting one myself also.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

I just got the 2012 overdrive. It is just the basic one. Got it off amazon since I have free two say shipping

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gregers05 View Post
    I just got the 2012 overdrive. It is just the basic one. Got it off amazon since I have free two say shipping
    Yeah I have prime too. So you got the V? How has it held up? How often do you ride?

Thanks!

Its just that I don't see overdrives in the trails I go to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

It's been a good starter bike, the stock sun tour fork is crap and the derailers and brakes will be upgraded soon but good bike for the money.

I did a time trial series race at the local park and it did fine, my slow times were mostly due to being a noob still but actually ended up winning my class.

When the weather allows I try to ride 3 times a week

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gregers05 View Post
    It's been a good starter bike, the stock sun tour fork is crap and the derailers and brakes will be upgraded soon but good bike for the money.

I did a time trial series race at the local park and it did fine, my slow times were mostly due to being a noob still but actually ended up winning my class.

When the weather allows I try to ride 3 times a week
    Thanks! Hopefully you can post a pic of your upgraded bike :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Yeah I need to take one, don't have one since I put the new fork on

bass playing IT monkey
    I just bought one and have put about 40 miles on it I think. (Will have to check my app, I have tracked every ride)
    Had it tuned up when I bought it and did nothing else so far. I am a total newbie and it makes me happy. I ride in Arizona, so we have trail options of all kinds... I am taking it slow. I am not sure how to judge the forks yet, but I would like a little less force transfer I think. I am a large guy though, so that may not be possible at my budget.

Adding the Ergon GP2 grips I think. But so far that is my only upgrade want.
    Last edited by BassBastard; 07-23-2013 at 08:12 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My '13 OD Disc has been more than great... was my entry level bike at the trails and I've had a blast on it... obviously entry level parts but my friend who also started with me on a 26" Hardrock has had more issues with FR getting all out of place and chain dropping gears on uphills than I have on my OD. Only issue I can think of is... wait, I can't think of any issues!

Here's a pic at one of our local trails (Virginia Key - Key Biscayne, FL)

PS: Would like to add, one of the dudes at the PerfBike shop has the '12 Overdrive Pro frame (in white) and has done an incredible job at upgrading it... While I was there he showed me his work of art, that OD is weighing in a mere 27.2 lbs! Wish I had taken a picture though...

bass playing IT monkey
    That is the exact model I have!
    I love it

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jazket View Post
    My '13 OD Disc has been more than great... was my entry level bike at the trails and I've had a blast on it... obviously entry level parts but my friend who also started with me on a 26" Hardrock has had more issues with FR getting all out of place and chain dropping gears on uphills than I have on my OD. Only issue I can think of is... wait, I can't think of any issues!

Here's a pic at one of our local trails (Virginia Key - Key Biscayne, FL)

PS: Would like to add, one of the dudes at the PerfBike shop has the '12 Overdrive Pro frame (in white) and has done an incredible job at upgrading it... While I was there he showed me his work of art, that OD is weighing in a mere 27.2 lbs! Wish I had taken a picture though...
    That at is awesome! I ride there too! Wish I ran into you before I had to get my 29er.

See you around!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    That at is awesome! I ride there too! Wish I ran into you before I had to get my 29er.

See you around!

Haha awesome! who would've thought lol!

Next time u go to Virginia Key, look for perhaps the only DB Sortie 1 2013 in the park, that should be me lmao!... Not everyone rides DBs down here, but I've seen more and more entry level riders go for the Overdrive (this one in particular) as their weapon of choice.

I honestly think it's a pretty good bike for the price

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BassBastard View Post
    That is the exact model I have!
    I love it
    Yup same here... gonna miss it... I wish I could keep it as my hardtail, I think it's a better bike for that park in particular (the one in the picture) than my Sortie 1... well, I've not even really put the Sortie to the test yet but I think the larger and wider trails at another local park (Amelia) will serve my Sortie better.

I'm only lacking space at home though tehe

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jazket View Post
    Yup same here... gonna miss it... I wish I could keep it as my hardtail, I think it's a better bike for that park in particular (the one in the picture) than my Sortie 1... well, I've not even really put the Sortie to the test yet but I think the larger and wider trails at another local park (Amelia) will serve my Sortie better.

I'm only lacking space at home though tehe
    I ride there too! Aha! And at oleta. Yeah I will approach someone with a db when I get the chance! I'm riding a 13 marlin but I could be anyone here.

See yah around!

mtbr member
    I got the same bike about 3 weeks ago and so far love it. Yes, the forks suck but work for now. I am up grading the breaks to BB7's with GS3 rotters and Speed dial 7 levers and Jagwire Mountain Pro Derailleur and Break kits (Ergon Green).

I love my Ergon GS3 Grips
    anybody here have the overdrive?-gs3c.jpg

Also looking into replacing the derailleur hanger with something stronger, some people have broken it. It sounds like a hard part to find right now, so be careful and don't break it (see post #18 below)

Where to buy a new derailleur hanger?

anybody here have the overdrive?-1090637_10151756154849266_202225135_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Probably the first upgrade to mine was that god aweful Suntour fork. Replaced it with an X-Fusion Slide and what a difference. Bike feels a lot more sturdy up front. The 32mm stanchions really made a differece in my opinion. Great bike for the money though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedmtb View Post
    Probably the first upgrade to mine was that god aweful Suntour fork. Replaced it with an X-Fusion Slide and what a difference. Bike feels a lot more sturdy up front. The 32mm stanchions really made a differece in my opinion. Great bike for the money though.
    I did the exact same thing. First upgrade was the xfusion fork. Made a huge difference. I just converted to a 10spd cassette and x9 derailleur and x9 shifters. Brakes are next.

As far as replacing the hanger with something stronger, it's not going to happen. It is hard enough to find a stock replacement

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    well ill let you know how i like it next week... ordered on amazon, free two day shipping after a nice price drop! Got the blue OD sport and an 18 inch frame! unbeatable price! Soo excited!
    2013 DB Overdrive sport 29r
    2001 DB XSL Race=Garage queen
    2003 DBR XTS Moto=sold
    1998 DBR Vlink 3.2=sold

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I bought Overdrive Sport on Saturday. It is stock. My first 29er.... I am new to MTBs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice! Not new to MTB but my first 29er. have a project Full suspension that i may sell and just live with the hardtail. We shall see! getting here wednesday! I went with the sport for the hydraulic brakes vs cable! plus is was 250 off and free shipping! Ride on!
    2003 DBR XTS Moto=sold
    1998 DBR Vlink 3.2=sold

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

That was smart. The stock mechanical brakes are terrible. I feel like I have to adjust them almost every ride. The brakes are the last stock part on the bike. Mechanical part at least. It has an xfusion fork, x9 derailluers x9 shifters, and has been converted to 3x10

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thats awesome! Kinda the way im going to go as far as drivetrain/fork! I may do the suntour upgrade where it's like 200 or less for the better air fork! I forget the model name but did some reading on here kinda late!
    2003 DBR XTS Moto=sold
    1998 DBR Vlink 3.2=sold

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast