Thread: another one!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

another one!!!

Hi all

Looks like I am destined to have no luck with Missions.

Repaired frame has cracked in a different place and the shock, even though it is a 51mm stroke, has blown through the stroke and the tyre has rubbed on the seat post and the arch on the seat stay has hit the seat tube hard enough to dent it.

I was doing about 4 to 5 foot drops to flat at speed with around 275LB in the RP23 ( I weigh around the 100kg mark).

Maybe the Goat might be a better option for my weight??? Having said that, I do ride "All Mountain" including technical up so not sure if the Scapegoat would be suitable over a Mission.

Are the later Missions better built that 2008/09 versions?

Looks like no rides this weekend - DOH!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails another one!!!-mission-damage.jpg  

Singletrack Slayer
    The new 2010 2011 frames are different... looks like your running a big tire in the back. Anything over 2.35ish will rub on the older Missions.. Might want to consider adding a few more psi in the shock. I don't see how the arch hit the frame.. Is the shock the OEM Shock?
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi David

Got me beat how it hit as well. It is the RP23 at 7.875 x 2.0 which is not the OEM but has the same Eye to Eye and stroke. I have upped the pressure a bit to around 290LB but I don't think I will risk riding it much more.

I let all the air out and compressed the shock and cannot get it ot hit. It does come close however but there is still light between.

I'm running 2.35 tyres so they are big but I was using the same size from new.

I did discover this morning that the knucklebox pivot has pushed into the downtube a bit which may have caused the travel to change. Looks like a new frame finally - just need to get the minister of war and finance to approve the funds.

Can you buy new Mission frames in North America as my sister may be travelling there later in the year?

Cheers
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    And here is the crack in the down tube with the paint removed from around it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails another one!!!-crack2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    jesus christ......... dude your not doing something right!
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

Singletrack Slayer
    Not a OEM Shock, There is your awnser.... You do realize that when you let all the air out the shock has a rubber bottom out bumper and that little bit of gap you see is because the shock is just going to the rubber bumper...So add a few more mm and BAM hits your frame. Your doing something wrong!!
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi David

Not OE shock, but, 2007, '08 & '09 Missions all ran Fox shocks. Either Float R, RP2 or RP23 and all rated at 200mm Eye to Eye and 51mm stroke.

My shock is 200mm E2E and 51mm stroke and would be OE if fitted to any of the year aboves Mission 3's.

Down tube had deflected by around 8mm causing the knuclebox to move forward and when compressed, causing the tyre to rub and chainstay arch to hit.

Not to worry. I have orderd a new Mission from Big W for $249.00. It is the 2009 frame in white so the M2 I guess. The components are very poor and will swap them all over.

Cheers

Nathan

Just roll it......
    It has nothing to do whether it's an OE shock or not. Yes, the current shock you have on there is correct as far as the sizing - both eye to eye and stroke length.

However, that doesn't take into consideration the tuning of the shock and or the canister size.

Tuning:
    There are 3 stock tunes from Fox. Those are usually decided on to match up with the bikes suspension rate.

Shock canister - you probably should be running a low volume canister on that bike to keep it from bottoming so hard or you're just going to have the exact same result. The shock you have is a large volume canister which means the shock will go through the travel and bottom MUCH easier. FYI, you can get a low volume can cheap from Fox or your LBS and it takes about 10 minutes to replace (also a good excuse to change the oil and seals in your shock).

EB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nath69 View Post
    Hi David

Not OE shock, but, 2007, '08 & '09 Missions all ran Fox shocks. Either Float R, RP2 or RP23 and all rated at 200mm Eye to Eye and 51mm stroke.

My shock is 200mm E2E and 51mm stroke and would be OE if fitted to any of the year aboves Mission 3's.

Down tube had deflected by around 8mm causing the knuclebox to move forward and when compressed, causing the tyre to rub and chainstay arch to hit.

Not to worry. I have orderd a new Mission from Big W for $249.00. It is the 2009 frame in white so the M2 I guess. The components are very poor and will swap them all over.

Cheers

Nathan
    Let us know how the big w frame compares? Do you know if they are they made the same as the regular missions? I love mine and if I could get the same frame at that price i will!!
    'keep the mission alive!'

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

im crying here!

double post
    Last edited by southvike; 07-09-2011 at 02:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I just found this same crack on my 08 MISSION last week. Trying to deal with the local DB dealer and they are painfully slow (or DB is according to them) I am not the original owner, however the shop manager stated that I “should” get a 15% discount on a new frame but they are still waiting on the quote from DB. What really gets me is that I was told they just cant sell me a front triangle (why? I don’t know.), but it has to be a new with shock complete frame, I hope that doesn’t come out to be an arm and a leg because I am really digging this bike and if the cost is to high I might just look for a better deal on a different frame/manufacturer.

I understand that they cant warranty it because I’m not the original owner (even though the frame still looks new.) but you would think that they would hook up more than a 15% discount on a crash replacement because its not like I sent the bike off a 10’ drop, just mellow trail riding that my nephews Huffy has held up to fine…it’s a design flaw on the earlier models (how many of these have to fail before its recalled?)

Keeping my fingers crossed that DB can somehow do more for me. Might try to talk to somebody at headquarters, wish me luck because it’s a great bike and I have been on a lot of bikes and can say that with confidence.

P.S. Is anybody from DB listening???
    Last edited by southvike; 07-07-2011 at 11:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi all

Anyone in Australia interested. I saw the actual Big W Mission this afternoon. It is nothing like the one pictured on their web site -
    http://www.bigw.com.au/sports-leisur...-dual-susp-mtb

Quote Originally Posted by pow77 View Post
    Let us know how the big w frame compares? Do you know if they are they made the same as the regular missions? I love mine and if I could get the same frame at that price i will!!
    It does not have the formed and hooded top tube, just plain round section.
    The head tube is narrow with external head set
    knucklebox is nasty and bigger
    knucklebox mount on down tube is dodgy looking
    Chainstay is completely different with the arch a straight box section between the stays.
    Once all of the pivots are tightened, nothing moves????

Not too impressed. Fortunatly it was my LBS who bought it before I placed my order. "false advertising" perhaps????

Looks like I will have to wait until a trip to Nth America later in the year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by southvike View Post
    I just found this same crack on my 08 MISSION last week. Trying to deal with the local DB dealer and they are painfully slow (or DB is according to them) I am not the original owner, however the shop manager stated that I “should” get a 15% discount on a new frame but they are still waiting on the quote from DB. What really gets me is that I was told they just cant sell me a front triangle (why? I don’t know.), but it has to be a new with shock complete frame, I hope that doesn’t come out to be an arm and a leg because I am really digging this bike and if the cost is to high I might just look for a better deal on a different frame/manufacturer.

I understand that they cant warranty it because I’m not the original owner (even though the frame still looks new.) but you would think that they would hook up more than a 15% discount on a crash replacement because its not like I sent the bike off a 10’ drop, just mellow trail riding that my nephews Huffy has held up to fine…it’s a design flaw on the earlier models (how many of these have to fail before its recalled?)

Keeping my fingers crossed that DB can somehow do more for me. Might try to talk to somebody at headquarters, wish me luck because it’s a great bike and I have been on a lot of bikes and can say that with confidence.

P.S. Is anybody from DB listening???
    yeah you and me both man. I just found a hairline crack in that same spot on my 09 scapegoat and since I'm not the original owner I'm pretty much s.o.l which sucks because I really like my goat. *EDIT*
    Last edited by savagenative; 07-17-2011 at 12:27 PM.