mtbr member

Annual teardown/cleaning/maintenace of my mission + Pics

It was time to tear down my 2010 Mission 1 and clean or lube everything in sight. After a year of riding and 300 miles on AZ trails, there was dust in every nook and cranny. I thought it would be a good idea to share what I did with pics. The entire rear end was taken apart, the bearings were cleaned and I added new grease. I started another thread a little bit ago asking about bearings being seized up but after I serviced them and reassembled the bike, it rides much smoother, like new. The back end is real plush again. The derailleurs were cleaned and lubed, however I also had to replace the little wheels on the x-7, they were cracked. I got some off of amazon for 20 bucks. The wheels got new grease and new stans, that stuff drys quick here in the heat. I also changed out the stupid 105mm stem for a 60mm raceface stem. I did a bunch of other little things that I can't remember at the moment. Basically, everything got touched except for bleeding the brakes and servicing the shocks, they all work fine so I'm not in a hurry to get that done. The bike rides like it is fresh out of the box. Maintenance is definitely key! Here are a bunch of pics.

This is before I started the tear down. She is nice and dirty.

Marked the blackspire stinger so I can realign it again later.

New grease in the rear suspension bearings. Enduro uses cheap grease, this stuff is much better.

Putting the dust seal back on the bearing. Yes, I did clean off the excess grease.

mtbr member

Coming back together.

Much cleaner!

mtbr member

Raceface 60MM stem. Makes it handle much better!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to post those pics. A clean bike is clean.
    2002 Giant Rincon
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

tear down

last weekend i was also able to clean my bike, after 1 year of use with conditions of dry, wet and muddy.

i noticed there is no grease left in all the bearings.

specially the 4 small bearing in the rear pivots. i used WD40 to degreased the bearing and applied pressurized air to dry them before applying Phil wood bearing grease.

OT: it seems like the eyelet connected on the knuckle box do not have DU bushing at all?

but if i will install a DU bushing the bolts will not fit, i think....

mtbr member
    My bearings were in similar condition. According to some other threads I read, the enduro bearings are of decent quality but they don't use a high quality grease or very much of it. Once they are opened up and have some good grease in there, they perform very well. I noticed that after I cleaned and greased all of my bearings, my bike seemed much more plush. Your right, there is no bushing on the rear shock. If you put one in, the bolt wouldn't fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Great pics!