mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Angleset or similar for 2012 Sortie?

Wondering if anyone has fitted an angleset or similar headset to slacken out a Sortie. Can't figure it out based on the interwebs.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    check with the diamondback website if your sortie has a tapered headtube. I had the sortie comp 2013 and used a works components angleset ec 44 zs 44 traditional 1 1/8 -1.5 degrees. I got the HA from 70 down to 68 ( measured using Iphone app and my lbs did a little more tinkering). The angleset worked very well and is very stable without any creaking sounds. I had 2 rides in and did downhill with more confidence. The bike felt more stable even though visually, the physical change in the fork angle was minimal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbmyep View Post
    check with the diamondback website if your sortie has a tapered headtube. I had the sortie comp 2013 and used a works components angleset ec 44 zs 44 traditional 1 1/8 -1.5 degrees. I got the HA from 70 down to 68 ( measured using Iphone app and my lbs did a little more tinkering). The angleset worked very well and is very stable without any creaking sounds. I had 2 rides in and did downhill with more confidence. The bike felt more stable even though visually, the physical change in the fork angle was minimal.
    I ended up doing the same thing earlier this summer. With a 2.35 on the front, 2.25 in the rear with a smaller profile and the 1.5 degree works headset the bike is much more stable on the down. I was shocked at how much 1.5 degrees makes...made me want to go a little further, but I think its right in the zone now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Im glad you did the same thing kudos to works components! They made my Sortie comp a better bike.. All the reviews stated that you cant put an angleset on the headtube but that's not true.. I almost sold my bike and tried my friend's trek fuel ex 8 27.5 for a couple of rides. I cant really tell the difference between wheel sizes but im not happy with the suspension. I guess im used to the knucklebox. The 68 HA works best i think. My LBS told me not to go further. Anyways, going downhill is so much better! Im keeping the bike a little longer. By the way, i have the same set up 2.35 front And 2.10 rear.