mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Adjustable handlebar, unable to tighten

Hi,
    Recently given a diamondback bike, been thinking about riding it instead of my usual schwinn, but it has adjustable handlebars which I'm unable to get to stay tight.

Even with the allen screw at the adjustable junction tightened completely, the handlebars have a lot of play in them, essentially unrideable like this. I've completely removed the allen screw on the right side and checked that all of the "teeth" are not rounded, but they appear fine, I think that the give I have in the handlebars is from the allen screw itself not being large enough to completely fill the hole, but it doesn't appear to have wore down over time.

Anyone ever have similar problem with these handlebars?

Also any ideas for the rust on the handlebars?

mtbr member
    is there a bolt underneath the stem? IF i recall correctly, there might be. if there is try tightening that

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy2854
    Hi,
    Recently given a diamondback bike, been thinking about riding it instead of my usual schwinn, but it has adjustable handlebars which I'm unable to get to stay tight.

Even with the allen screw at the adjustable junction tightened completely, the handlebars have a lot of play in them, essentially unrideable like this. I've completely removed the allen screw on the right side and checked that all of the "teeth" are not rounded, but they appear fine, I think that the give I have in the handlebars is from the allen screw itself not being large enough to completely fill the hole, but it doesn't appear to have wore down over time.

Anyone ever have similar problem with these handlebars?

Also any ideas for the rust on the handlebars?

At my store (a Dick's Sporting Goods) we see this all the time. It's like absoluteric said, there's a bolt on the bottom side of the stem that is usually (98% of the time) the culprit of your problem. Tighten that up and you should be good to go.

cycle dad
    I recommend loosening the afore mentioned bolt first, pulling the quill (that's what old stems are called) and greasing it first.

Those wildwoods are good boardwalk bikes. enjoy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    there is a 3rd bolt underneath the stem that is used to adjust the rise of the stem. loosen the bolt, set the stem to your desired angle of rise, re-tighten the bolt, then snug up the two on the sides. Then you should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have the exact same problem. The hex does not seem to fit properly to tighten, is slips. I see this is a pretty old post, did you ever solve the issue?