Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2016 Models

24K views 136 replies 32 participants last post by  Szy_szka 
#1 ·
Hey all,
Been riding since last Christmas when I got a 150 dollar Schwinn from Target. Trying to ride 3 days a week to justify a new bike this year and found out I get a discount via my employer on Diamondback. Unlucky me by the time I decided to start looking all of the 2015s were gone. I have been patiently waiting and this weekend it payed off. They aren't on the site yet, but on the corporate page they have many 2016 mountain bikes listed.
Figured I'd give a heads up to everybody. I am mostly looking at the Mason Pro and the Mission 2.
For hardtails there are updated hook, line and sync'r. Also they have added a line of fat bikes, one of which has suspension up front. The new Masons are 27.5+ bikes with no new FS. The Mason Pro has 2.9" wide tires with boost hubs and a 2x11 set up.
Full suspension seems like no new Sorties yet. There is a new cheaper DH bike and the Mission 2 now has 1x11 gears.
No availability listed yet and it seems like they are adding some everyday. Let me know if anyone has a specific model they are looking at, maybe I can share some info.

Good riding all.

#35 ·
Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle fork Bicycle wheel rim

EL OSO DE ACERO MSRP 950

Frame El Oso Butted Heat Treat Steel 1-1/8"Headtube, 150mm Rear OLD, Fits up to 26x5" tire
Fork DB El Oso Custom Rigid Steel Fork, 1-1/8", 135mm QR Dropouts
Cranks Shimano Acera M3000, 40/30/22T
Bottom Bracket Sealed Cartridge
Front Derailleur Shimano Alivio M410 E-Type
Rear Derailleur Shimano Alivio M4000
Shifter Shimano Alivio M4000 9spd
Brake Levers Tektro RAL84A
Brakes Tektro Mira Mechanical Disc, 160mm/160mm Rotor
Cogset Shimano HG300 9spd (12-36t)
Rims DB75mm Wide w/28mm cutout, singlewall 32h
Tires Chaoyang Cruiser 26"x4.0"
Pedals DB Alloy w/ molded traction pins
Handlebar DB Pro Bar740mm width, 15mm rise, 31.8mm barbore
Stem DB 3D Forged, +/-7° Rise 31.8
Seatpost DB Micro Adjust 30.9mm
Seat DB Race M-series saddle w/ cromo rails
Headset Threadless 1-1/8" Aheadset
Chain KMC X9 EPT Anti-Rust
Front Hub Alloy 32h Disc, 3/8" Nutted 135mm
Rear Hub Alloy 32h Dsic, Cassette, 3/8" Nutted 150mm
Spokes 14g Stainless Steel
Grips DB High Density Foam Grip
Extras Owner's Manual, Chainstay Protector, Clear Coat, H20 bottle mounts

#57 ·
View attachment 1011483

EL OSO DE ACERO MSRP 950

Frame El Oso Butted Heat Treat Steel 1-1/8"Headtube, 150mm Rear OLD, Fits up to 26x5" tire
Fork DB El Oso Custom Rigid Steel Fork, 1-1/8", 135mm QR Dropouts

Front Hub Alloy 32h Disc, 3/8" Nutted 135mm
Rear Hub Alloy 32h Dsic, Cassette, 3/8" Nutted 150mm
s
Nutted axles? Really? I understand this bike is designed to hit a price point, but that seems an odd place to skimp to save on cost. If you want to upgrade, a 135 qr axle shouldn't be hard to find, but a 150mm? Plus, most 150mm hubs are thru-axle which this frame does not appear to be.

I'm surprised they didn't go with one of the more established fat bike standards (170ish/ 190ish)- though "standards" and fat bikes seem to be tough to nail down these days.

#36 ·
Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel

EL OSO GRANDE MSRP 1,700

Frame El Oso Butted 6061-T6 Aluminum w/ Formed Top / Down Tube, 1.5" Tapered Machined Headtube, 197mm Thru Axle, Fits up to 26x5" tire
Fork DB El Oso Custom Rigid Alloy Fork, 1.5 Taper, 150mmx15mm Thru
Cranks FSA Comet Mega Exo, 36/26T
Bottom Bracket FSA Mega Exo
Front Derailleur SRAM X5 High Direct Mount
Rear Derailleur SRAM X5
Shifter SRAM X5 10spd
Brake Levers TRP ML800 Spyke
Brakes TRP Spyre Mechanical Disc, 160mm/160mm Rotor
Cogset Shimano HG50 10spd (11-36t)
Rims DB 95wide w/55mm Cutout, Singlewall 32h
Tires Chaoyang Cruiser 26"x4.9"
Pedals DB Alloy w/ molded traction pins
Handlebar DB Pro Bar740mm width, 15mm rise, 31.8mm barbore
Headset FSA C-40 Sealed 1-1/8"/1.5" ACB Integrated
Chain KMC X10 EPT Anti-Rust
Front Hub Alloy 32h Sealed Cartridge Bearing 150mmx15mm Thru
Rear Hub Alloy 32h Cassette, Sealed Cartridge Bearing 197mmx12mm Thru
Grips DB High Density Foam Grip

#37 ·
Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel

EL OSO MSRP 2,300

Frame El Oso Butted 6061-T6 Aluminum w/ Formed Top / Down Tube, 1.5" Tapered Machined Headtube, 197mm Thru Axle, Fits up to 26x5" tire
Fork RockShox Bluto 120mm Solo Air, 32mm Stanchion, Rebound, Lockout, 150mm Thru, 1.5 Taper
Cranks Raceface Ride, 36/26T
Bottom Bracket Raceface Outboard Bearing
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore M618, High Direct Mount
Rear Derailleur Shimano SLX M615 Shadow Plus
Shifter Shimano SLX M670 10spd
Brake Levers Shimano M506 Hydraulic Disc
Brakes Shimano M447 Hydraulic Disc - 180/180mm Rotor
Cogset Shimano HG50 10spd (11-36t)
Rims DB 95Wide w/55mm Cutout, Singlewall 32h
Tires Kenda Juggernaut 26x4.5"
Pedals DB Platform CNC, w/replaceable pins, sealed cartidge bearing
Handlebar DB Pro Bar750mm width, 15mm rise, 31.8mm barbore
Headset FSA C-40 Sealed 1-1/8"/1.5" ACB Integrated
Chain KMC X10 EPT Anti-Rust
Front Hub Alloy 32h Sealed Cartridge Bearing 150mmx15mm Thru
Rear Hub Alloy 32h Cassette, Sealed Cartridge Bearing 197mmx12mm Thru
Grips DB4L Lock-on 135mm D2 Kraton

#39 ·
El Oso de Acero, El Oso Grande and El Oso.
That would be "The Steel Bear", "The Big Bear" and "The Bear". Are those the final names?

I know fat bikes are supposed to have big, fat, strong names, but this is...i don't know what the heck is this honestly.

At least they seem good bikes...

#41 ·
BTW: The dbcorp website shows the discounted prices as well (which I guess we are not supposed to put here). Pretty much all bikes show as out of stock (incl. the 2015 models). Several models don't show at all (e.g. Sortie). I got a Sortie 2 2014 back in Dec last year, which was actually cheaper via Pricepoint than dbcorp (since it is shipping and tax).

#45 ·
Heard from Diamondback. Missions are first week of October and looks like the Masons won't be available until January. Hook, Line and Sync'r are out, but not the Sync'r Pro. Pretty bummed about the Masons. Missed last years by a couple months and don't think I can wait until January.

#46 ·
A question.
Since the Hook/Line/Sync'r are out, do you have any clue if there any 2015 models left in stock...somewhere?
I'm going to explain.
Our dealer (not a dedicated DB dealer) has some models (Overdrive, Mission, Podium and Axis) but they didn't bring the Hook line this year.
So i came to them and asked about it. They said they could order one Hook, a special order, and it would come in a month.

"Great!" i thought. So i was planning to come over in November, order a 2015 Hook, and in december, the dealer would call me when the bike arrived. I have vacations on December, that's why i wanted to order it on November.

Do you think any 2015 model will be available for special order by that time? (considering that our dealer has already ordered single bikes before. Someone ordered a DB-8 in January, and it's not a model they usually offer, so i know it was special order)

If not, then i'd rather order it right now if there's still some in stock.
I don't want to lose the opportunity and order a horrendous cyan Hook. Personal taste, but i'd rather walk my trails than riding the thing.
Black and blue is just so perfect.

I can ask at the dealer personally in a week or two, but i'm kind of anxious so i had to ask :skep:

#53 ·
It makes me worried about the Sortie... They are either scaling back getting ready for a model change, or fading out the Sortie in favor for the Mission and Masson. I tried to buy a Sortie 3 last year (2015 model) and they were all sold out. I eventually contacted Diamondback and they told me they hadn't planned on making anymore 3's for the 2015 year, just 1s and 2s. We'll see! Would love to see a revamp of the Sortie that is more FS Cross-country oriented.

#64 ·
Here's some new 2016 pic's of the Atroz Comp, Found on Amazon, but not DBs site yet o_O'.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle fork Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

From what I can tell the Only thing that's really changed is the frame, though its *mostly* the same, how ever. It does look like the steerer is now tapered, which is nice, the rear suspension support got beefed up ALOT, though it was great before, and the top tube/down tubes are now welded together, where as the 2015 variant there seperately welded tubes and its not a tapered steerer either >.<' lolz.

#72 ·
I really can't let this go. I get a discount with DB through work. I had the Overdrive Pro and now the 2015 Sortie 3. for the money, nothing can touch the Sortie 3 (as far as I know). I love this bike. Knowing that down the line when I am ready for a new bike, DB will not have anymore 29rs, but most importantly not have a Sortie, really bothers me.
This means I will have to spend a TON more money for a bike with half the components.

really bummed :(

Going to have to ride the balls off this bike I guess.

#74 ·
Just took a gander at it, looks like a 150mm front fork setup *Pike RCT3*, and a 1x11 gear set. Looks like a mix between a Atoz Comp and a Mission :D, price range puts it also in the same area, with pretty solid components too. Only wished they didn't have the rear frames painted differently then the main >.<' other then that gripe they look great.

Thinking Really hard about getting a new bike with a tappered headtube >.<' my fork options for a straigh 1 1/8th is pretty slim lolz. Less I get a EC bottom cup ofc o_O' lolz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.