mtbr member
    Apr 2013

2015 Diamondback Overdrive Pro wheels

Hi everybody,
    I'm thinking about buying a Diamondback Overdrive Pro 29er (apparently for 2016 they are 27.5). It looks like a nicely specked bike, but since they are house brand wheels I cannot find much information about them.

Do any of you have experience with the wheels: "Diamondback SL7 29" Doublewall, 32h Alloy Disc/Sealed bearing 15mm Thruaxle Front hub, 32h 142x12 Sealed cartridge bearing, 12mm Thru axle"

I Assume they are not superlight, but hopefully they are a reasonable weight and strong. I'm not a heavy guy, but I ride pretty fast, in a lot of rocky terrain with small drops and stuff mixed in. I would need them to be able to last a little while.

Also,if anybody would like to comment on any other impressions they have after ridding an Overdrive I would appreciate it, as I have not seen one in person.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    How much do you weight?
    I got the Diamondback Hook 2015 which has the same wheelset but on 27.5. SL7 Double Wall 32h with 9mm QR. I'm a 150 lb rider.
    I don't really ride "pretty fast" but I usually have experiences where I kinda lose control or im going too fast to brake properly, so I have to hold on to the bike with death grip while going through really chunky sections just to survive, which means the bike has going to take all the hammering because in those moments I forget about technique and just try to make it through the section. Had to do that around 5 times so far, and one even had a 2 ft drop that surprised me and couldn't react so I landed pretty hard with my body stiff as a 20mm axle, then crashed into some bushes.
    The wheels held up each time, and didn't need to true them. So far, they are going strong.
    I guess a 29er wheelset would be slighty weaker, but you got a stiffer hubs so that's better. Not sure if that plays a role in wheel strength though. But in my opinion, if you have a good enough technique and line choice so you're not death gripping and getting stiff so the bikes takes it all during rough section, they will last enough time until you either swap them for something better or get another bike.

Hope that gives you a slighty better idea of what this wheelset can stand, because I'm pretty sure it's the same, just different size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Well I just ordered the bike! I am Super excited but won't get it for a couple weeks, as I had to delay shipping due to being out of town.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hope you enjoy the bike! Have fun riding.