mtbr member
    Jul 2013

2014 Sortie 29s now available

I just checked the Sorties at DB.com and the 2014's are up... Not to mention I just purchased a '13 Sortie 1.... dang the '14s look nice!

It appears DB dropped most of the Shimano stuff on the new Black and went SRAM almost every where

Diamondback Bicycles - Sortie Black 29

2014 Sortie 29s now available-db_14_sortie29_black_angle.jpg
    '14 Sortie Black

2014 Sortie 29s now available-db_14_sortie1_29_grey_profile.jpg
    '14 Sortie 1

Not to mention the '13 Sortie 1s had drop outs front and rear, and the new '14 Sorties have gone thru-axle all the way from the 1 up

Should have waited one more month lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jazket View Post
    I just checked the Sorties at DB.com and the 2014's are up... Not to mention I just purchased a '13 Sortie 1.... dang the '14s look nice!

It appears DB dropped most of the Shimano stuff on the new Black and went SRAM almost every where

Diamondback Bicycles - Sortie Black 29

Not to mention the '13 Sortie 1s had drop outs front and rear, and the new '14 Sorties have gone thru-axle all the way from the 1 up

Should have waited one more month lol
    Are you sure? I just checked the comparison specs and the 13' and 14' Sortie 1's have the exact same HUBSET

I myself am ready to pounce on a 13' Sortie 1 cause it's on sale but am looking Seriously hard at that 14' Sortie 2 in blue w/SLX & XT's hmmm decisions..

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dj Royal Tee View Post
    Are you sure? I just checked the comparison specs and the 13' and 14' Sortie 1's have the exact same HUBSET

I myself am ready to pounce on a 13' Sortie 1 cause it's on sale but am looking Seriously hard at that 14' Sortie 2 in blue w/SLX & XT's hmmm decisions..

That's one issue I have with DB's website... they copy the writeups from their older bikes and drop them in the newer models, but then forget to update the specs!

Go check the Sortie Black (2014) and check the specs... look at the drivetrain, see how it says XTR everywhere? Well that's for the '13 model, cuz the '14 clearly shows SRAM XX1 drivetrain instead!

Go look at both the '13 and '14 Sortie 1 hubs, you'll spot the diff right away

I went for the '13 at $1800 from PerfBike, plus a 10% off the same weekend I went. Can't beat such deal. Then $400 later I'm at the XT level I want to be (except for the brakes, that'll come soon).... But I still wish I had me thru-axles

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    aaahhh, ok. Thx for the heads up there!! ...

I'm ready to pull the trigger on either the 13' Sortie-1 @ $1598 or the Overdrive Pro @ $1299. (Both 29'ers)

I would love to get the 14' Sortie-2 but think I'll ride one of these for a year and get the 14' Sortie-2 at years end next year...

Especially since I left riding over 1o Years ago so Either of these should get my feet wet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Looking for the weight of the 2014 Sortie Black 29er, anyone?

Thanks.
    2002 Giant Rincon
    2012 Diamondback Podium 3
    2013 Specialized Stumpjumper EVO 29
    2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced 2

mtbr member
    Hello all! I just picked up a 2014 Sortie 1 and I thought I would shed some light on the equipment spec for 2014. The spec sheet on Diamondback's website lists 2013 specs. Looking around at some different seller websites there are some more current spec sheets, but none that I saw were completely correct. Below is a spec sheet that I edited to reflect the equipment that came on my bike. There are a few instances where could not determine a model number and I made notations next to those items.

Another good place to look is the photos posted on the Diamondback website. My bike looked identical to those photos out of the box.

Frame: Sortie 29r Trail 125mm 6061-T6 Weapons Grade Aluminum w/ Taper Head Tube / Hydroformed Top Tube, Butted / Formed Down Tube / Seatstays, Under Arch Seatstay bridge, Knuckle Box Technology, 142x12mm E-Thru Axle Drop out
    Rear Shock: 2014 Fox Float “Performance” CTD Boost Valve "LV" eyelet 7.875x2.00" Air w/ rebound adj, Climb, Trail, Descend lever
    Fork: 2014 Fox 32 Float “Evolution” CTD 29 Air, 130mm travel, open cartridge, with ext. rebound / lock out, butted Alloy Tapered 1.5 steerer, 32mm Easton aluminum stanchions, magnesium lowers, QR15 Thru Axle Drop out
    Headset: FSA No57 Taper 1.5 / 1 1/8" Alloy cups, Sealed Cartridge
    Cranks: Shimano FC-M430 Alivio Octalink w/ replaceable rings, 22/32/42t* (same one as in picture)
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-ES25 w/Octalink spindle (unverified, cranks are Octalink)
    Front Derailleur: Shimano SLX M660-E High Direct Mount 3x9
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX M662 9spd Shadow type
    Shifter: Shimano Alivio 9spd Rapidfire (Alivio WTF, unknown model number)
    Cog Set: Shimano 9spd Cassette 11-34t (unknown model number)
    Chain: Shimano 9spd HG73
    Hub (F): 32h SL-7 Alloy w/ CNC Disc Mount w/15mm Thru Axle, no visible model number)
    Hub (R): 32h SL-7 Alloy Cassette w/ CNC Disc mount (no visible model number)
    Spokes: Black 14g Stainless Steel
    Rims: 32h WTB SX23*
    Tires: WTB Wolverine 29x2.2 Comp, Folding
    Brakes: Shimano M446 Hydraulic Disc w/ 6-bolt, 180mm front / 160mm rear Rotors
    Brake Levers: Shimano M445 w/ reach adj.*
    Pedals: DB Toe Clip Compatible alloy
    Handlebar: DB Lazer Series 31.8mm low rise 670mm, 15mm rise
    Grips: DB4L 135mm Kraton
    Stem: DB AL6061 Ahead +/-7°,70mm, 31.8mm
    Seat: WTB Silverado
    Seatpost: Diamondback Lazer Series Micro Adjust 30.9mm
    Extras: Knuckle Box Shock Pump, Sag Gauge, DB Key, Owner’s manual / Sortie owner's manual cover, Chainstay Protector, Clear Coat, Spare RD Hanger

The biggest surprise to me was the 3x9 drivetrain. Everywhere I looked indicated a 3x10 drivetrain. It wasn't a huge deal to me, my previous bike was a 3x9 and the gearing was plenty for my type of riding. I guess they had to save some money somewhere to make up for the awesome through axles on both ends.

I only have about 15 miles on the bike so I can't give too detailed of a write-up, but here are my first impressions: F*****g awesome! It took me a bit to get the suspension dialed in but once I did it made for a nice comfortable ride. I am really impressed with the geometry, My last bike was much steeper and I am really digging the feel of this one. Given that the spec sheet is out of date, I am guessing that the published geometry data is as well. The frame is significantly different for 2014 yet the same data is published. I have a hunch that the HT angle on the 2014 is more slack than the published 69.5. This would make sense given that the front travel was increased from 120mm to 130mm.

Kuddos to Diamondback on the packaging and factory setup. And kuddos to FedEX Ground for not destroying it in transit. With the exception of a very small scratch on the seatpost there was not the slightest blemish on the bike. Both derailleurs shift perfectly out of the box and the brakes did not require any adjustment.

Below are a few pics. The only items in the pics that are not stock are:

Crank Bros Iodine 3 bars 680mm, 30mm rise
    Lizard Skins "Peaty" lock-on grips
    WTB Pure V Pro saddle
    Shimano PD-MX80 Saint pedals
    Maxxis Ardent 29x2.25 front tire (yes, that is dog **** on the front tire)

2014 Sortie 29s now available-img_0622.jpg2014 Sortie 29s now available-img_0621.jpg2014 Sortie 29s now available-img_0623.jpg2014 Sortie 29s now available-img_0624.jpg2014 Sortie 29s now available-img_0625.jpg
    Last edited by TheDocTx; 11-16-2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Found crankset model, found chain model

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Looks awesome. Saving my pennies for a FS bike. Currently ride a surly ogre and love it but want to add a FS to the stable. These sorties are on my list, hear nothing but good things about the bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Just got my 2014 Sortie 1 put together and so far, so good. Need to tune the derailleurs and she will be ready to rock. I was looking at a couple of other bikes, but got this at such a killer deal I couldn't pass it up. Well worth the week wait for FedEx to drop it off.

TheDocTX - did you leave those little ratchet clips on the brake caliper bolts? Trying to figure out if they are actually needed. Seems pointless with thread lock on the bolts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Congrats on the bike. How tall are you and what size you get? According to the sizing on their website I'm a large but I have no place to test them. Want to get one in 6 months or so

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'm 5'09" and got a medium based on their website size finder. There's a sticker on the frame that says 5'07"-5'10" for medium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4123 View Post
    Just got my 2014 Sortie 1 put together and so far, so good. Need to tune the derailleurs and she will be ready to rock. I was looking at a couple of other bikes, but got this at such a killer deal I couldn't pass it up. Well worth the week wait for FedEx to drop it off.

TheDocTX - did you leave those little ratchet clips on the brake caliper bolts? Trying to figure out if they are actually needed. Seems pointless with thread lock on the bolts.
    I thought the same thing, I have no idea why they are there. I took them off, it seemed like they were just in the way. I did hold on to them...just in case. I have about 75 miles on the bike and no issues so far. Congrats on the bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbaj View Post
    Congrats on the bike. How tall are you and what size you get? According to the sizing on their website I'm a large but I have no place to test them. Want to get one in 6 months or so
    If you own a bike now the best thing to do is compare measurements from your current bike to measurements from the geo sheet. This is what I did and it worked out well. It does suck not being able to sit on it before you buy though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDocTx View Post
    I thought the same thing, I have no idea why they are there. I took them off, it seemed like they were just in the way. I did hold on to them...just in case. I have about 75 miles on the bike and no issues so far. Congrats on the bike!
    I was having trouble getting the front brake aligned until I took those damn things off. Seemed like they were tweaking while tightening the bolts and contacting the rotor. Take 'em off and it aligned almost automatically.

mtbr member
    Have you had it out on the trail yet?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yeah, went for about 30 min yesterday. Loving it so far. Just waiting for an email from fox so I can use their app to fine tune the suspension. Keep getting the invalid code message. Also need to keep an eye on cable stretch since it started shifting less reliably towards the end of the ride. Gonna go for another ride later today to make sure I got the cables adjusted properly.

mtbr member
    I got the error message as well, but the app says it will only work with 2013 shocks. I looked the fork and shock up on the Fox website and they are both 2014 models. My guess is the app won't work until there is an update. Let me know if you find out otherwise. I found a sweet spot after a few rides just by playing around with the pressures and rebound settings. Its amazing how this thing will soak up the bumps!

I got a stick through the back wheel on my first ride out and it damn near tore the RD off. Needless to say I had to reset the cable and tune the RD after that. It shifted just fine up until that point. Luckily there was no permanent damage, just had to readjust and now she shifts like a champ. I have not had to tune the FD, but I rarely use it.
    Last edited by TheDocTx; 11-18-2013 at 04:33 PM. Reason: fixed a dumbass typo

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Got the email back. They said they were aware and are trying to fix it, so hopefully it's ready soon. Can't see how difficult it would be to allow the app to access the new id codes. Seems like if the line didn't really change between years, just copy the specs to the new database or something. I'm not sure what needs to be done, but that sounds good.

Everything seems to be running well right now, so hopefully I'm able to dial the suspension in soon and it will be amazing.