mtbr member
    Apr 2014

2014 Diamondback Sortie 1 - Opinions?

I posted this in the "general 29er" forum but maybe you guys could help me out.

I currently ride a 2011 Trek Cobia 29er hardtail. I've got the itch for full suspension bad! My budget is considered "tight". I'd like to stay under 2 grand whilst still getting Fox suspension and decent components. I've scoured used ads but my frame size is hard to find (small / 15.5"). And older used bikes can be problematic especially when dealing with full suspension.

So yesterday I stumbled accross the 2014 Diamondback Sortie on REI ? Top-Brand Clothing, Gear, Footwear and Expert Advice for Your All Outdoor Adventures... It has nice fox suspension and OK/Decent components. Then I noticed REI had a 20% off sale which brought the cost of the bike down to $1750... this seemed too good to be true! I jumped on it and placed and order which will arrive for "in store pickup" on thursday. I figured I'd do my research / comparisons before thursday comes around and cancel if I need to. I just wanted to lock that price in.

NOW! I'm a Trek rider at heart, and if finances permitted I would be riding a Trek Fuel EX 7 or EX 8... but finances do not allow so the Sortie 1 is looking mighty tempting.

Who rides one of these 2014 Sortie models? How heavy is it? Are the decals removable or painted in? Will I regret not saving a few extra bucks for a Trek?

I mainly ride singletrack/trail. rocks, roots, small drops, equal amount of climbing and decent. I'm a short and light guy (5'6 and 145 pounds) so I'm not too worried about cracking any frames or a tremendous amount of stress.

I'd just like to hear som success stories... or horror stories. What should I do!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for posting this, I too am looking at those 2 bikes and will greatly appreciate the feed back on the Sortie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hello. I own a 2013 Sortie 2 29er. Love my bike. Bought it because it fit right and the back end flowed up and down with the trail. It is heavy. My rig was about 32-33 pounds. Change out the WTB Wolverine tires (the version on my bike weigh in at 1kg each) for the cheapest way to lighten up that bike. Rides like a monster truck over everything. Took a bit to figure out how to turn it coming from a 26" wheeled bike. Was coming into everything faster with a slower turning bike the first several rides, but can now manage most turns. Does not turn as well as a Trek Superfly. I got mine because it fit me the best. Love the brakes on mine. Way better than the Avid Juicy's in noise and control.

mtbr member
    Seems like a screamin good deal, looking at the components, even if it is a little heavy. I am looking for something in this price range myself. Be sure to post up what you think of the bike dills84.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurion_ View Post
    Seems like a screamin good deal, looking at the components, even if it is a little heavy. I am looking for something in this price range myself. Be sure to post up what you think of the bike dills84.
    I retract anything bad i said about this bike. Took it out on some hard trails for 7 miles yesterday. It KILLED it! Climbed great, descended great, went off some pretty decent drops and barely felt it. Huge upgrade from my hardtail. the fox suspension was fantastic. Very plush suspension design but still allowed proper pedalling without soaking up too much bounce. Glad I bought this bike! pretty amazing deal for the $$.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Diamondback Sortie 1 - Opinions?-img_20140419_181428.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. And I think I agree with you. Thought I had my next bike all figured out, but this looks like the best deal going in my price range.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Same experience I had on a demo ride and finally bought one. After my first mountain ride, those big wheels saved my face on an unexpected drop with roots and my suspension did it's job. Nice pic. Are you riding on a coastline?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bavgumbo View Post
    Same experience I had on a demo ride and finally bought one. After my first mountain ride, those big wheels saved my face on an unexpected drop with roots and my suspension did it's job. Nice pic. Are you riding on a coastline?
    No coastline here, just flooded trails of North Eastern New England. Thanks!