mtbr member
    Feb 2015

New question here. 2014 Axis Pro - 27.5 Max Rim Size Supported

Hello everyone!
    Iíve got a 2014 DB Axis Pro with the 27.5 SL-7 wheelset. Iím looking to upgrade the rims on my bike but am not sure how wide of a rim this bike supports.

I measured the clearance between the chainstays (where the tire appears that it will rub up against first, near the bottom of the seat tube) to be 67mm. The current exterior width of the rim is 26.4mm and the full width of the inflated Racing Ralph tires (side wall width size marking of 2.25in) is 53.4mm.

Does anyone know how I can calculate the maximum rim width that is safely possible for my bike using these measurements?
    Iím considering the Easton Arc wheelset, but am not sure which size rim width I can fit (including tire) on this frame.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I decided to approach this question from the aspect of how the overall width of the tire changes by keeping the width of the tire fixed and increasing the width of the rim. After reading up on a couple of sources (on this site and others), I'm getting the impression that the overall width of the tire will not change as the rim width is increased. What will happen is that the tire will essentially stretch in the middle creating a larger contact patch on the ground among other affects. If anyone has confirmed this to be true, could you please chime in?

One thing to keep in mind is that each rim width has an appropriate range of supported tire widths.

Thanks!