mtbr member
    Jul 2006

2013 Sortie 2 29er tires/wheels

Hello. Loving my new bike but looking to save some weight in the tires/wheels. Current idea is Stan's ztr arc ex, and Continental Mountain King on the front 2.4, x-king on the rear.

The tires that come with it. Wolverine 2.2 barely fit in the rear but seem like the largest 2.2 ever seen. Saw another bike with 2.4 on the rear and worked. Wondering if anyone else has tried this combination.

Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    How do you like your Sortie? I just picked up a 2012 Sortie 1 29er left over from last year. I got a great deal on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The main reason I bought it is because it fits me just right and the back end does great on tracking the trail. I've only had about 10 rides on it but one was 30 miles. I come into turns faster than before. It just wants to roll. Have managed up to a 3 foot drop to a very smooth downhill landing. works awesome. Still getting use to sharp turns with it. Still having trouble with tight switchbacks. The wheels are heavy but the rest works just fine. Shocks etc.. Love the brakes that came on the bike. They use to be Deore XT I think based on what my friends 4 year old bike has.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Re: 2013 Sortie 2 29er tires/wheels

How is the quality of the components? Also considering a trek superfly 100 al.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    They both look pretty close component wise, but I think the Rumblefish model is more similar in usage than the Superfly. I've ridden the Rumblefish Pro at a demo and it turned easier than the Sortie. The angles are almost the same. The trek has slightly steeper head angle and a slightly more offset in the fork. I ride on the medium Sortie and demoed the 17.5 Rumblefish but would buy a 19. I am right in between. The Sortie fits me just right. Braking better on the Trek. DRCV shocks work very well.

That said I am very happy with mine. I just feel good riding it but need to lighten the wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have read that it has a low ground clearance so the pedals hit. Whats your take on this?
    Also i can get a new 2012 sortie 1 for $1700 or a Superfly 100 al for $1800. I love the components and the looks of the Sortie! Such a hard decision!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The sortie bb height is 33 cm, the superfly is 32.5, the rumblefish is 33.8. Personally I'd prefer just a bit more height on my Sortie but not much. A higher skill level would negate that. You can really rail around corners on it but it does very much want to stay on the initial path you start. Change direction mid action etc..not the Sorties forte. On the other hand pick a line and just roll with and smile.

I run two chainrings and a bash guard as well for logs and never planning on going fast enough to need the large chainring or putting it into my calf. Seen that no thanks.

I do love the way the back end tracks the trail. It feels great, but go with the bike that feels more comfortable to ride.

The Trek has a thru axle fork, the sortie does not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

What are the advantages of a thru axle? Both feel great! Trek is $150 more than the db.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Generally a 15mm thru axle will help make the front wheel stiffer and track better over rough terrain. Also safer than a quick release because it is not in dropouts.

Discussion of this 9mm vs 15mm vs 20mm axles opinions .

and here 15mm axles are here to stay - NSMB.com Mountain Bike Reviews, News, Photo and Video

Couldn't say which one to get. More suspension on the db, rougher terrain. Mine jumps plenty good enough for me 3 feet or under, smooth easy take off and landings. Trek, better when braking, quicker handling, less suspension. Maybe compare the weight. If the weight is in the wheels it makes bigger difference than if its not rotating.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Do yoyo ow the weight of the sortie?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The sortie 2 is 32 1/4 to 32 1/2. I don't have the best scale. The sortie 1 probably weighs a little bit more. The fancy version black version wieghs in at about 27 1/2. The frame alone is over 7 per reviews I've seen. My guess is the Superfly is lower weight but no facts to back that up. My wheels are heavy at 2600 for the pair including rotors and cassette. and tire 950/tire.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Damn that is a really heavy bike!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Is it a slug going up hills

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi all! this is my very fist post haha, haven't even introduced myself, but I've been eyeballing a Sortie 1 '13 and I JUST pulled the trigger on it this past Sat... got it from one of the new Performance Bike dot com stores down here in FL. Great staff btw, and the bike is going for cheap now!

Been riding a 18" Overdrive disc '13 for about 3 months since I first got into MTBking down here (no, the medium size 29er was not really my bike since I'm around 5' 9" in height, but again, I've never seen a noob picking the right thing off the bat lol) and I'm stoked for DB honestly... so I went and test rode the Sortie 1 15.5" and was sold. Then I took it to Virginia Key (south FL) and WOW, big, big, huge difference... anyway, I'll post a proper review later, don't wanna thread-jack so here's what I'd add to bavgumbo's post:

I weighted the bike at the shop, comes in at 33.01 lbs. The FIRST thing I did was get rid of the WTBs... those are the exact same WTBs that come in the $500 Overdrive 29er... not good; got me a pair of FORTE TSALI 29x2.2s and, not only do they feel MUCH better at the trails compared to the stock WTBs, they also shed a full pound. So right out the shop my Sortie 1 weights 32.01lbs... I'm still aiming to bring it a hair under 30, I'd be happy having it around 29ish pounds.

With that said, I haven't really tested the bike properly, but so far, omg what an upgrade (of course lol!)... climbing: cake, compared to what I had before. Braking: INSANE compared to what I had before, stops in a dime, the Shimano M442s are hydraulic and are just INSANE (again, compared to what I was riding before). Bottom frame clearance: not an issue, in fact the Overdrive seemed to be hitting the bottom more often, I hit the same trail I've always rode on the Overdrive with my new Sortie 1 and not a single scratch.

Great purchase bavgumbo, honestly I'm loving this bike so far, hope you are too!

Last thing to add: Wanted to go for the Sortie 2 because of the thru-axle, but oh well, shop didn't have it and I also had to buy my wife an upgrade so I had to stay within budget; got her an outgoing '12 Scott 70 with almost the same parts as my Sortie 1 for a great deal too, awesome little 26'er ain't gonna lie!