mtbr member
    Jun 2009

2011 sortie 3 frame sizing fitment Q?

My LBS has a sister store that has a sortie 3 17" frame that has a "cosmetic blemish" and are willing to hook me up with a sweet deal but im hesitant because I can't sit and test the bike unless I decide to buy it due to shipping and whatnots. Im 5'9" and have been riding a 19" frame but want a 18" because I feel to stretched out on my bike. Online it says that a 17" is Medium size and should accomodate a person my size. If it does feel small would a longer stem be able to fix my woes and make the bike feel more comfortable.
    I've never ridden a diamondback mtb so any input from current or past riders on how the frame sizing was for them would be appreciated. This is a sweet deal on the bike and if it the size can work for me i'd be a happy biker

mtbr member

Top tube

Compare the top tube lengths (effective or horizontal) of what have to the Sortie medium. If it's with in 1/2"-3/4", you can easily dial in fit with a longer or shorter stem. Any top tube difference larger than +/- 1/2" and you may run into problems.

It the TT is too long, your stem will need to be overly short to compensate to avoid low back hyper-extension (I' had this from a road bike that was too long).

If the TT is too short, you'll need a LONG stem and this will/may make you feel really cramped and alter the handling of the bike.

FWIW, I ride a 2010 Sortie Black L/19" with a 24 inch TT and a 90mm stem. I am 6'1/2' with longer legs and shorter torso. 24" is my absolute max TT length and 90mm is the shortest stem I'd want to run. It fits perfectly. Before it, I had a 2008 Mission also in L/19 with a 24" TT that also fit well.

I would prefer a slightly shorter TT (23.5) and a 100mm stem, but the Sortie L works fine.

Also, evaluate the seat tube to make sure you don't have an absurd amount of host hanging out, because that's not the safest way to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Go with the medium trust me. I researched this topic forever. I'm 5'10" and just ordered my Medium 17" Mission 1 , I actually sat on a Large 19" Mission that my buddy has and its HUGE!

The sortie actually has a longer top tube than the equivalent mission does, so you'll fit more than perfect on the medium frame.

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkoMTB View Post
    My LBS has a sister store that has a sortie 3 17" frame that has a "cosmetic blemish" and are willing to hook me up with a sweet deal but im hesitant because I can't sit and test the bike unless I decide to buy it due to shipping and whatnots. Im 5'9" and have been riding a 19" frame but want a 18" because I feel to stretched out on my bike. Online it says that a 17" is Medium size and should accomodate a person my size. If it does feel small would a longer stem be able to fix my woes and make the bike feel more comfortable.
    I've never ridden a diamondback mtb so any input from current or past riders on how the frame sizing was for them would be appreciated. This is a sweet deal on the bike and if it the size can work for me i'd be a happy biker
    I ride a Med Sortie @5'10" w 32 inseam.. perfect fit. has a 23.5 Eff TT length and the Large is a bit bigger but only 1/2" longer TT @ 24". I have an 09 19" frame and it is big, the 17" for me is much better fit and rips! If your shorter more than likely a medium without a doubt will fit you perfectly. I have a Layback Thomson post and 70mm stem on my Med sortie..... The large and med Sortie both have 28.5 standover height! I think you'll find the Large too long and won't like it, too big for ya IMO
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the info guys. I wasnt looking at this bike but when my buddy who works there told me about the deal they could do for me on it my interest was peaked. I think the 17" will be good for me and reading what some actual riders are using helps in the decision making. Lets just hope I can sell my bike soon so I can dish out the cash for the Sortie. It looks like its a bike that doesnt get much recognition and hides behind all the big 3 bike brands but is a slayer on the trail and thats the type of bike I like to ride.
    Lets hope everything works out for me =)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    does anyone know the weight of the sortie 3?

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    I am interested too in the weight. I found a killer deal on these and am hesitant to buy w/o riding. I am putting it up against a Specialized Stump and Santa Nomad but am having trouble justifying the price difference.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Singletrack Slayer
    So which model DB exactly are you comparing to what exact speced SC and Stumpy models? That would help a ton.....

Skier by trade
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles View Post
    So which model DB exactly are you comparing to what exact speced SC and Stumpy models? That would help a ton.....
    Well, since the thread was about the Sortie 3...but I can understand the SC and Stump part...The SC Nomad (or Heckler) R AM and the SC in the Comp.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Singletrack Slayer
    http://www.hucknroll.com/santa-cruz-...S|b|9029477585

This is the SC Nomand R AM It is like a Mission with 160mm travel and Lyrik fork... Sorite would be a lighter bike for sure.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...d=46578&eid=99

The Stumpy would be a good match to compare...weight would be around the same IMO.

http://www.diamondback.com/bikes/mtn...n/sortie-3-11/

Specy is Sram X9 X7 and Diamondback Sortie 3 is XT SLX equal level components, fork, brakes. Very similar bikes, and would both weigh around ~28ish lbs IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hey guys,

I hate to bring an thread back from the dead like this, but I have a question to ask regarding sizing. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a 2013 Sortie Comp and I'm wondering what size I should get... DB's website says I ride a size small (16"-17"). But size small on the Sortie is 15.5"... Size medium is 17". BTW: I'm 5'7" with a 29ish inseam.

Thanks!