Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2011 Mission 4

10K views 82 replies 25 participants last post by  d_read 
#1 ·
The bike came in today! It looks so sick in person. I love everything about it. I just changed the stem and bars to Thomson and FSA. I like the top tube has to mounts for a seatdropper built it! sweet! The Talas in a 160/120, which I like better. The specs said 160/130/100. no biggy. Plan to change the tires to Maxxis soon. Maybe sell carbon post for a dropper.....But this bike is light and I can't wait to ride it:D Custom DB4L lockon grips from DB thanks to Jon Kennedy!! Thanks bro!

DB4L

PS Heard the grips might be stock next year on Mission

Attachments

See less See more
#32 ·
Looks good David! I need to single ring mine, I never really use the hammerschmidt. 1X10 is all you need!

I just picked up a set of DB4L grips today too!

-KT
Hells Yes:band: DB4L I have the big 2.5 up frt now... After DH @ Windrock on Sunday will go with 2.1 r Nevagal and 2.3 front, all tubeless ofcourse and this bike will be my for sure ALL MTN bike and I think I might get to 29 lbs! I love 1x10 After riding the Sortie SS for a long time w 32/18 ratio I really have gotten faster and shift better w gears, I can climb crazy stuff on my SS:D Removing the HS helped the weight a ton, the system weighs in at ~1700grams! ~3.5 lbs I have had to dropped a good 1.5-2 lbs. Then with lighter tires it should be super light and still a beast :)

I was thinking about getting a specialized command post on it, I work at a lbs and can get a great deal! what you think KT. I like the idea and the fact that the frame has pimp cable guides, or should I get some nice cranks for this 1x Like Saints or find a Raceface if any are still around:p These cranks work, but I would like to build up my Sortie SS I stole these off of:confused: lol I am still not sure, I am really liking a dropper post idea but those Saint cranks w/ gold highlights are nice, going to add a gold Hope seat QR and rear QR, What about that Gold KB Jon talked about for 3k likes?! I could bling out this sexy lady! What you think!???

DB4L

#33 ·
Looks cool David! I like that you can change the cage length of the XO derailleur without buying a whole new unit. I 1x9'd my mission when I got it. Only way to go for sure. I was planing on a Atlas crank or even a saint but the Firex is holding its own.

#35 ·
Hmm so quick to assume! Maybe I have more than 1 job;)
I am proud to say I run one of the top Bike depts in the company, Out of 430+ some stores I am Ranked #1 in sales and volume as well as service work, all of my loyal customers and new ones say they feel like they are shopping at a bike shop with the way I run things, Not your typical DSG... But I do understand where you are coming from, I totally understand ;) DSG is not a "LBS" I wish it could be because Health INS is very nice!:D

#36 ·
1 x 10 all dialed in, love the bike! Should be around 29lbs.:D Will weigh it soon to see. Still keeping the Hammerschimdt, just trying out something different.

Stylo SS Crankset, 34t FSA DH SS ring, E13 LG1 chainguide.

Attachments

#40 ·
Were you able to shorten your chain any by going to a single chain ring? Also do you know if the 2010/2011 Missions run ISCG or ISCG 05? I most definately will be converting my 2010 to 1x9 looking at the E13 XC SS Crank. Still up in the air on type of chainguide as I don't really dig the bash guard. May just run the E13 chaingude without bottom bash guard.

I took your previous advice on wheels and tires Sunringle/Maxxis tubeless, love them both.

Thanks Chris

#41 ·
Were you able to shorten your chain any by going to a single chain ring? Also do you know if the 2010/2011 Missions run ISCG or ISCG 05? I most definately will be converting my 2010 to 1x9 looking at the E13 XC SS Crank. Still up in the air on type of chainguide as I don't really dig the bash guard. May just run the E13 chaingude without bottom bash guard.

I took your previous advice on wheels and tires Sunringle/Maxxis tubeless, love them both.

Thanks Chris
Cool man:thumbsup:

I had to add a link of chain! it was 22t Hammerschmidt and now a 34t FSA DH ring.

It is ISCG 05 tabs !!!!!!!!!! YES

I love the E13 LG1 You could run it with out the bottom taco gaurd and pulley, but you'd want a bash ring to cover the chainring IMO. I think this is a clean setup, shows off the chain and ring, and the bash ring is not needed and pulley is a sure thing when it gets rough. And it functions even better then it looks, and I think it's pimpin' lol
I ride up behind people and they can't hear me, my bike is so quiet! No chain slap!! I need a bell on in;)

BTW I installed a SS E13 crank set on a cutomers bike, super pimp crankset and comes with all the goodies you can imagine! I would have gotten that crank but got a better EP on the Sram stuff, but the STYLO is a solid crankset IMO Looks really good too.

#44 ·
First time on some real Downhill trails

Took my Mission up to Windrock near Knoxville on Sunday. Some really hardcore DH with lots of ladder drops, 45 degree slopes with rocks and super techy gnar. It was really fun, For riding the bike with a slightly different setup, (changed out back wheel for insurance) put bigger tires on. I felt pretty good, I feel like I can hit just about everything with a little more practice.

But overall the bike was just amazing.. big drops, fast rocky descents with off camber switchbacks, the bike was so easy to move around. I was riding with 6 others on DH bikes! I was doing well for not doing downhill riding in a long time and I rode clipped in!! Some guys didn't notice till later on, They were impressed;) I really was super stoked !! The Mission can hold it's own! Scapegoat would be ideal for everyday there... A 160mm + fork is a must there

Windrock Downhill - YouTube

Attachments

#45 ·
Sweet looking trail! :thumbsup:

They need to make a "Steady CAM" version of those cameras, cause watching videos like that and your head bobbing was like watching "Clover-field" again and made me nauseous..............and barf :arf:

#48 ·
Sweet!!

:band::band:
Awesome!!
Correct, the HS will be queit in the low gear,not engaged w 22 t; and loud, or engaged in overdrive or 36t, As for brakes, pretty easy to setup. Common thing with avids is people and or the factory can overtighten the washers too much, Loosen up the mounting bolts and spin the conical washers around in a few rotations, then lighty snug them and back of some to let the capliers move. Squeeze the brakes on and off a good 5-10 times will spinning the wheels then hole the brake lever and snug the caliper bolts. Lots of times this will get a near perfect brakes set up. But I sometimes you just got to use a good eye and fine tune it a little. You can also try the business card trick, tear it in half in put it on either side of brakes and that can help too.:)

#49 ·
I just got a Mission 4 as well this week. Stoked! Brakes needed a bit of adjusting as well. Dont forget the pad contact adjust on the lever itself, that can also fix the issue. It could also be that the pistons are a bit extended, which means you would need to push them back in by removing the brake pads.

#52 ·
I hate to thread hijack but this bike is rather "untalked" about and it fits here. I come to the Mission 4 from a Jamis Dakar > Specialized Enduro > Yeti ASX, Ironhorse Sunday, Giant Glory. As my experience increased I wanted to go faster and lost my will to peddle so there's been a lot of shuttling and lift assisted riding over the last few years. However, I have a great mountain in my bike yard that can't be shuttled and after I came to my senses I realized I needed another bike similar to my Enduro...something all mountain... something I could peddle up hill and then bomb downhill without having to dodge jumps and drops. To be honest I was sort of scared of Diamondback. Press is few and far between and every "Which AM bike" thread seemed to point towards another Enduro, Mojo, etc. I qualified for a massive discount on the Mission 4 so I went with it, really couldn't lose at the price point.

So how's it ride? The bike has been a pleasure. It's a single pivot but a well sorted one. The bike has great small and medium bump compliance and seems to track thru anything if I stand up and get on the pedals..thru whatever...way better than my ASX, which is also a single pivot. I'm still getting used to the feeling of the bike with the seat up high but downlow I feel at home. I wouldn't mind if the headtube was slightly slacker, but I also have no hesitation pointing the bike downhill and going. There are certaintly stunts that I feel more comfortable hitting with my ASX and that I currently ride around on this bike ( 2-Pack Evolution Drop on Galbraith - YouTube ) but there are many booters and drops that I haven't hesitated with on this bike. The Hammerschmidt is something else, shifting is instant and really comes in handy on an AM bike, couldn't say enough about it.

I can't speak to long term durability, yet ;) I may go to a shorter stem but that's really the only thing I can see changing at this point.

So why so little press on this bike? Poor marketing on DB's part? Trouble getting away from the department store reputation? Who knows.. but this one seems to be a diamond in the rough. I'll update if anything changes ;)

#53 ·
I'm loving it!

I am really loving this bike a lot. Been riding it moslty and Sortie only on one local trail here in Chattanooga. The bike is just so smooth and pedals just plain amazing. The Geo is spot on and I find myself running the Talas @ 120 alot for more flower singletrack and use 160 on just long dh runs! It feels like a Rocket and slices and dices the tight twisty singletrack here in the southeast. I have had the chance to demo other bikes and find the Mission always right at home. From going big, DH, to a long XC ride this bike does it all, and really well! You can build this up so many ways to suit your style of riding! I LOVE the Mission 4 !!:D:D

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.