mtbr member
    Mar 2010

2010 Sortie Black

I just pulled the trigger on a new 2010 Sortie Black. Paid $2900, I'm having buyer's remorse, did I get a good deal?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Are you buying it new or used. The cheapest i've seen it new is like 3500. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Greg

Singletrack Slayer
    That is a steal of a deal. Great price for top notch components on a awesome suspension platform. I love mine
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bballboy388
    Are you buying it new or used. The cheapest i've seen it new is like 3500. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Greg
    It's new, I used two coupon codes on the Performance Bikes website to get a big discount.
    I must have got the last one, it's not listed on their website today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles
    That is a steal of a deal. Great price for top notch components on a awesome suspension platform. I love mine
    I'm glad to hear you like your Sortie. I have an '08 Mission 3 and I really like it, it's just
    a bit on the heavy side though.

mtbr member
    its a $5200 bike, some of the best componets around, if it were a yeti same part spec it would have been $8000 or more

mtbr member
    I also purchased my Sortie Black about two months ago from Performance. I also paid $2900 AND I got double points. I also have had buyer's remorse. For me, it is totally natural to have buyer's remorse about paying that much for a bicycle. I mean, it is a BICYCLE!

It is a great bike but maybe I thought having it would make me a pro-level rider. I have been improving my lap times on my local trail, which might be because I am in better shape, but it most certainly did not magically make me a pro-level rider. Most importantly, I am having more fun on the trails with this bike.

Before I purchased the Sortie Black I took a Pivot Mach 5 out on a demo ride. Nice bike and definitely worthy of the praise it receives. I realized after that ride that no bike will magically make you a better rider. It had the XT package and had a retail price of $4,400. IF I was lucky, I might have found a shop that would sell it to me for $3,900. Was it worth $1,000 more than the Sortie Black? No way.

Have fun on your new bike and just enjoy it! By the way, what tires came on your bike?

mtbr member
    Great deal! I wish I have 3k to get a Sortie Black or a new GT fs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinone
    I also purchased my Sortie Black about two months ago from Performance. I also paid $2900 AND I got double points. I also have had buyer's remorse. For me, it is totally natural to have buyer's remorse about paying that much for a bicycle. I mean, it is a BICYCLE!

It is a great bike but maybe I thought having it would make me a pro-level rider. I have been improving my lap times on my local trail, which might be because I am in better shape, but it most certainly did not magically make me a pro-level rider. Most importantly, I am having more fun on the trails with this bike.

Before I purchased the Sortie Black I took a Pivot Mach 5 out on a demo ride. Nice bike and definitely worthy of the praise it receives. I realized after that ride that no bike will magically make you a better rider. It had the XT package and had a retail price of $4,400. IF I was lucky, I might have found a shop that would sell it to me for $3,900. Was it worth $1,000 more than the Sortie Black? No way.

Have fun on your new bike and just enjoy it! By the way, what tires came on your bike?
    Thanks for encourgement, I've been looking at the Sortie's on-line all summer waiting for a good deal so I could'nt pass it up. I think I like the 2010 SB better than the 2011.
    I'll let you know about the tires, it should come tomorrow!

Singletrack Slayer
    No disrespect but the GT FS are not that great, too many small links and I see there linkages wear out fast. Stick with the DB Knuckle box, much more solid design! Diamondback is specing there bikes better and great prices to. You don't want a GT and have to deal with Pacific Cycle warranty IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Spinone

The bike came today, about an hour ago. I think I'm going to really like it.
    It feels so much lighter and quicker than my Mission 3.
    I'll get in lots of riding tomorrow and Sat, I'm going riding (camping) with my mountain bike club.
    Oh, it came with small block V8's, they're going to have to go.
    I'm going to go tubeless anyway,(continental mountain kings)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhan
    The bike came today, about an hour ago. I think I'm going to really like it.
    It feels so much lighter and quicker than my Mission 3.
    I'll get in lots of riding tomorrow and Sat, I'm going riding (camping) with my mountain bike club.
    Oh, it came with small block V8's, they're going to have to go.
    I'm going to go tubeless anyway,(continental mountain kings)
    Congratulation on getting the bike! My bike also came with the SB8 tires. I had Performance switch them out for Conti Trail King 2.2 tires. They are great tires, if not a little heavy, for the trails in Colorado. They also just barely fit in the rear, rubbing over rough terrain. After only two months I got a 1 inch slash on the rear tire. I am replacing that tire with a Nevegal DTC 2.1. Let me know how you like the bike and the mountain king tires. I really do like my Sortie Black. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Update: Got in a full weekend of riding in the hills of Southeast Ohio, this bike is GREAT!
    The weather was perfect, dry, sunny and around 80f. This was the most fun I've ever had riding a mountain bike (and we're talking about 18yrs).
    The SB is a perfect combination of weight, suspension travel and components.
    I love the scram XO's, it's as close to an electronic shifter as you can get. IMHO.
    I'm over my buyer's remorse, anybody want to buy an almost new '08 Mission3?

Butts Up Fast!
    Pics please.....

Singletrack Slayer
    Sweet, I knew you'd love it