mtbr member

2010 Mission frame bearings

I am recovering from a double hernia surgery and have plenty of downtime from riding so I am taking apart my bike and cleaning it, sort of a major annual tune up. I did this last year and it went fine. However this time, I noticed that after taking apart the rear suspension, most of the bearings seem to be seized. Some move freely and smooth, some still move but feel gritty, others don't move at all. Maybe they need to be under a load? I dunno. It is a 2010 Mission 1 and it is one year old with 300 miles on it. Has anyone else had this issue with their mission? What route did you take to replace the bearings? I'm thinking of ordering the enduro bearings and finding a bike shop or machine shop that will remove the old bearings and press the new ones in. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

More Riding Less Internet
    Try cleaning the bearings first.

-Using a sharpened spoke (or anything pointy), pry up the rubber dust seal on the bearings.
    -Spray them out with degreaser and get them moving again.
    -Wash and THOUROUGLY dry the bearings.
    -Fill them with fresh grease.
    -Reinstall the dust seal.

This should save most of them and save you a few bucks too!

I usually do this 2-3 time a year on my bikes to keep the suspension feeling good. It really makes a big difference.

If you need to replace the bearings, the ID number should be printed on the dust seal. You can usually order them from Mcmaster-Carr. McMaster-Carr

-KT
    Diamondback Development Force.

mtbr member
    I'll have to try that. It is a much cheaper option than replacing the bearings. I just hope I don't damage the seal in the process.

mtbr member
    So I took the seals off of 3 bearings. They are all very clean with plenty of grease. They look brand new, no scoring or pitting. This is after 300 miles of riding in dusty Arizona, the dust here is very fine and can sneak into small crevices. I wasn't expecting any scoring at all, but I was expecting some dirt. So now I'm completely stumped. There is no reason for these bearings to be seized. I can't figure it out. Here are some pics.

This is one of the small bearings on the knucklebox, it is seized and refuses to move. Not dirty at all and has plenty of grease. I thought that maybe it had too many bearings. It has 18, which is the same amount as the other bearing which is exactly the same but moves freely and smooth. Maybe when it is pressed into the knucklebox, the tolerance is too tight and it can no longer move?

This is the big bearing on the knucklebox, it is clean, and moves just fine. Thought I would take the seal off to inspect it.

This is one of the small bearings in the rear of the swing arm. It is exaclty the same as the small ones in the knucklebox. However, these 2 on the right side, function just fine.