Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2010 Mission

6K views 55 replies 12 participants last post by  Zeckgx 
#1 ·
Spoke with my shop today and they are out of 2009 frames. They say the 2010's are due out soon and the updates are "worth the wait" as I'm told. Anyone have any news on this/ pics? The diamondback blog tells me nothing nor twitter.

#6 ·
2010 Sortie

WOW, the 2010 Sortie is on the Diamondback.com blog. It is claimed to be 1/2 lbs lighter than 09 and the knuckle box looks a little different. It looks like the rear end has smaller tubing to save weight. Just found it today and thought I'd share.

#8 ·
Check out the August BIKE magazine.On the third page in there's a pic of the new Mission bike.Looks like a totaly different animal.I like the frame shape better on the 07-09 but this knucklebox looks intriguing,not sure if I should wait and see or just get what I know works well.

#9 ·
Cool

I just bought the August BIKE mag for the picture! It looks freaking awesome. I can't wait to see more pictures of it and to see one in person! I still love the way my 08' Mission looks! I see the new Mission has the same parallel chainstays, but the Sortie has unparallel chainstays like drorn stated.

#10 ·
I looked at the ad here is what I found:

The knuckle box is a cleaner forging or casting that looks stiffer.
The seat tub has a jog in it for tire clearance( not sure on the tube angle).
The top tube is straighter and there is an additional tube bracing the seat tube.
The shock mounts to smaller tabs under the top tube
The rear triangle uses tapered upper tubes.

Just my observations!

#12 ·
It is a full doublepage spread, hard to scan. The frame appears to be a little lighter :idea: I am thinking they stiffend up the rear a bit with the new design. Just guessing. I like the look of the knucklebox and the bigger pivots and newer mount for the shock on the toptube. I do love the graphics:D

We need more pictures Diamondback!!! Paulie G. where u at!!

#13 ·
Sory 'bout the lag time here, guys and gals... No good excuses.

Anyways, 2010 Mission - it's a large-volume air can FOX shock - designed for an air shock only. Yep, both the Mission and Sorite platforms are refined designs all around, but still single-pivot 4-bar systems. Attached images show the new Knuckle Box bell cranks.

The Sortie does have asym. stays, too.

Both frames are stiffer, lighter, which ultimately means higher stiffness-to-weight ratio (which is awesome), and the leverage ratio on the rear shock is lowered with the new shocks and chain stays designs.

I'll have some to look at and demo at the next race here in WA (Rosalyn MTB fest) this coming weekend if anyone wants to come out/fly out and try 'em! :)

Attachments

#16 ·
It's not that it's confidential, but that we lack imagery to put up on the web right now (short of going out and taking pics myself - which I have done a bit of already)... We just finished the catalog, so there will be web-happy and usable images here shortly.

For now, here's one for ya! A little DB Mission 3 action..... Rumor has it we'l have an even hotter version, too :)

Attachments

#25 ·
paulieg said:
Sory 'bout the lag time here, guys and gals... No good excuses.

Anyways, 2010 Mission - it's a large-volume air can FOX shock - designed for an air shock only. Yep, both the Mission and Sorite platforms are refined designs all around, but still single-pivot 4-bar systems. Attached images show the new Knuckle Box bell cranks.

The Sortie does have asym. stays, too.

Both frames are stiffer, lighter, which ultimately means higher stiffness-to-weight ratio (which is awesome), and the leverage ratio on the rear shock is lowered with the new shocks and chain stays designs.

I'll have some to look at and demo at the next race here in WA (Rosalyn MTB fest) this coming weekend if anyone wants to come out/fly out and try 'em! :)
I love the colors!!

#26 ·
Yeppers - ALL Missions and the 'Goat have tapered 1 1/8" to 1 1/2" headtubes.

Point of clarification: more and more manufacturers are offering "frame kits" as the frame, headset, seat tube clamp, and in some cases a seatpost. AND some are offering frames without shocks, which is a bummer because frame-specific tuning goes into lots of the shocks out there these days - ours included, and that makes it tough to get the right shock for a frame in the aftermarket. Our plan is to offer just the frame and shock for the Sortie, Mission, and 'Goat models, but if we can get costs down far enough we'll put the other accessories mentioned above in the kits. But the ultimate decision is still TBD.

Hey, all of you need to get out and ride this weekend - we'll be in Roslyn, WA for the MTB fest - riding lots - coincidentally with the Nothern Exposure Fan Fest - Aye, that'll be a treat - I wonder if Northern Exposure fans are like Star Trek fans. Anyways, for anyone who wants to come out (or can realistically show up) - we'll have some 2010 models to ride.

I don't care if I have to leave the tent unattended - I am riding!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.