Thread: 2009 Mission??

mtbr member

2009 Mission??

Hey guys. I found a 2009 Mission (not sure if it's a 1, 2 or 3) frame with RP2 shock, Easton seatpost, seatpost clamp and bars for $325. I am looking to build up an AM rig and have been leaning towards the Mission. Do I buy it or what? Any help is appreciated. I can PM the link if anyone wants to look. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i dont think you should get it... go ahead and pm me the link and i'll take it .....lol jk....Id do it.

mtbr member
    Joey- Do you have any experience with these bikes? All I know is what I have been reading on this site and a couple other places with reviews on it. Seems like a pretty solid bike if you put in a little money and time.

Let the good times roll.
    The 2009 Mission is a good bike. I had one and liked it a lot. Now I have a 2010 and like it even better.

Butts Up Fast!
    Im still riding my '07 M2 and upgrade as I break or wear things out. When the frame finally goes I'm just gonna get a new one.

mtbr member
    Well I bought the frame this morning. Its an M2. I'm pretty excited about it. I have spec'd out the drive train and I'm gonna got with al SLX with a 2x10 crank. Looking at getting a Float fork and prolly a nukeproof wheel setup. Let me know what you guys think.

Let the good times roll.
    SLX cranks and front derailleur are great. Consider a chain retention device if you ride on rough terrain often. I has the Blackspire Stinger with ISCG-05 and liked it. I'd personally go with X9 shifters and X7 rear derailleur for the best shifting performance, but SLX is OK for that too.

What kind of riding are you planning to do? I'd recommend a 160mm Rockshox Lyrik with the Mission Control DH damper for aggressive riding. For milder trail riding and XC, a 150mm Rockshox Sektor or Revelation (depending on budget) will be awesome. Floats are good quality, but I've never ridden a Fox air fork that fully met my performance expectations for a high end fork. That's just a matter of opinion. Lots of my buddies have Foxes and love them. The X-Fusion Vengeance seems pretty good too.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. I plan on doing mostly aggressive All Mountain type riding. I like pedaling uphill only to find some gnarly single track for the way down. I need something with some play and I was leaning towards a 160mm fork. I am not set on Fox. I don't know a lot about forks, but I am learning as I go. I guess I am just gonna have to go off of trial and error in that department haha.

Is the X7 rear derailleur that much better? I am pretty new to the whole bike build up thing. I have only bought complete bikes in the past, so this is my first go. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I also prefer Sram shifters and derailleurs but I think its just because that is what I'm use to. If your use to Shimano from your previous build and liked it stick with it. I personally feel as if Shimano is smoother where as Sram is a little "clunkier". I like that though because it really lets me know when it has shifted. where as with Shimano sometimes I am not completely sure.

Singletrack Slayer
    Go SRAM!!! Shimano is not as good as SRAM IMO... X9 shifters and der and get a 36 Talas 120/160. It is such a great balanced fork for the Mission. I have XO drivetrain and it has exceded every thing I want from a drivetrain. solid, smooth, reliable, bombproof....2+ yrs and going strong... I would build up a wheelset with Hope Pro2 hubs, DT spokes and Stans Flow Rims. You can't go wrong. Running a 2x10 or 1x10 on the Mission would be perfect IMO... Have fun
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    My Rockhopper has all SRAM except for the crank and that's only because I just replaced it with an SLX 3x9. It was recommended by my LBS. I really don't have a preference, I just need advice on what to go with. What is SRAM's equivalent to the SLX line? I was also looking at the 36 Talas, so I'm glad you brought it up. Thanks for the input and I can't wait to build it up!!

Let the good times roll.
    Shimano SLX = SRAM X7. I recommend stepping up to X9 shifters if you can afford it because the difference in shift quality is noticeable. Stay with X7 for the rear derailleur because it's essentially the same thing as the X9 version just with different colors and a bit extra weight. The SLX front derailleur designed specifically for 2x9 systems is really nice.

Do you have any buddies with nice forks? You might want to hop on a few and see what you think. Personally, I prefer coil forks with separate high and low speed compression adjustments to maximize downhill performance. My Lyrik U-turn feels just like a mini Boxxer coil, which is exactly what I wanted. I also have the flexibilty to change it to a fixed travel 170mm coil in the future if I want. The TALAS is a great fork too, but it has less small bump plushess and lacks high speed compression on the 160mm version.

mtbr member
    Thanks for clearing that up on the Shimano and SRAM differences. I will be going with X9 shifters. Still looking at derailluers though.

I don't really have a lot of mountain biking buddies with high end forks on their rigs. I guess I can go to my LBS and see if I can ride around on some of the bikes there to maybe get a feel for them.

Let the good times roll.
    You probably already know this, but the shifters and rear derailleur have to be from the same company. SRAM and Shimano are incompatible. However, the front derailleur standards are the same, so you can mix those.

mtbr member
    Actually I didn't know that. Thanks. For the rear, do I want a long, medium or short cage? What are the advantages? On the front derailleur, which kind do I need? Top swing, high clamp, conventional.... Or does it matter? Sorry for all the noob questions and thanks

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh View Post
    Shimano SLX = SRAM X7. I recommend stepping up to X9 shifters if you can afford it because the difference in shift quality is noticeable. Stay with X7 for the rear derailleur because it's essentially the same thing as the X9 version just with different colors and a bit extra weight. The SLX front derailleur designed specifically for 2x9 systems is really nice.

Do you have any buddies with nice forks? You might want to hop on a few and see what you think. Personally, I prefer coil forks with separate high and low speed compression adjustments to maximize downhill performance. My Lyrik U-turn feels just like a mini Boxxer coil, which is exactly what I wanted. I also have the flexibilty to change it to a fixed travel 170mm coil in the future if I want. The TALAS is a great fork too, but it has less small bump plushess and lacks high speed compression on the 160mm version.
    NO NO, the Sram x9 is way better and a few bucks more, no composite crap, all alloy and stronger and more durable.

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbks View Post
    Actually I didn't know that. Thanks. For the rear, do I want a long, medium or short cage? What are the advantages? On the front derailleur, which kind do I need? Top swing, high clamp, conventional.... Or does it matter? Sorry for all the noob questions and thanks
    Short cage for a 1x, med for 2x, long cage for 3x. If you go XO you can change the cage lengths for different builds!

Let the good times roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles View Post
    NO NO, the Sram x9 is way better and a few bucks more, no composite crap, all alloy and stronger and more durable.
    The 2010 SRAM X7 and X9 rear derailleurs were identical in design. The only difference was different materials in a coupe places to save weight. At least that's what a CS rep at SRAM told me. I called the company when I was shopping for a replacement for my busted X9, and was pretty much told to get X7 unless I really cared about a few grams. I might have been given bad info though. Wouldn't be the first time...

Of course things might have changed for 2011.

mtbr member
    Awesome. Thanks again. I was gonna go with X9 all the way around. Maybe X0 on the rear derailleur but X9 everywhere else. Should I go with a 10 speed cassette or a 9 speed cassette? I was thinking 2x10.

Singletrack Slayer
    Your choice, I love the beauty of 1x and you can ride just as fast or faster..

Let the good times roll.
    The number of speeds doesn't matter much for performance, but 10 speed will allow you to get an 11-36T cassette if you're interested in having that low ratio. Whatever you decide now, you'll be stuck with it since the whole drivetrain is different for 10 and 9 speeds. With that in mind, 10 speed might be better since it's the newer standard. I'm thinking about availability of parts a couple years from now.

Butts Up Fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles View Post
    Your choice, I love the beauty of 1x and you can ride just as fast or faster..
    Agreed

I'd go 10spd rear unless budget dictates otherwise.

mtbr member
    I am going to go with 10spd rear.