mtbr member
    Jul 2011

2009 DB Mission 1 - Should Beginner buy this?

Hello all,

I have been lurking in this forum for a few days now. I have decided to try to dive into MTN Biking again and need to replace my 20 year old Trek 820. The main reason for an immediate replacement is I bought a 20" years ago and the correct size for me seems to be 17".

I have been digging around here and Craigslist for something used and ran across this new:

2009 Diamondback Mission 1. It is stock brand new from an authorized dealer. I feel pretty confident I can buy it for $600 on the low and $800 on the high. This seems like a great deal and more than enough for a starter like me. Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I own that exact model. It is a great trail/AM bike. A little heavy for strictly xc, but capable. I upgraded to better wheels shortly after purchasing it. I would snatch it up for $600-800!

mtbr member
    i bought my 07 for 850.00 2 years ago.. Its a fine bike.. just put on new slx cranks on.. feels way better.. its heavy.. but worth the down hill.. if you just want to ride.. its fine.. if you dont care about weight.. u want it lighter.. prepare for $$

for 600 to 800 its worth the price.. the forks alone is 3-400.. my 07 came with cheaper forks and a older fox float rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bpowa View Post
    i bought my 07 for 850.00 2 years ago.. Its a fine bike.. just put on new slx cranks on.. feels way better.. its heavy.. but worth the down hill.. if you just want to ride.. its fine.. if you dont care about weight.. u want it lighter.. prepare for $$

for 600 to 800 its worth the price.. the forks alone is 3-400.. my 07 came with cheaper forks and a older fox float rear.
    I am not worried about weight as a beginner, but at this price even if it is $$ to decrease the weight, it would still be a great price overall right?

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by bpowa View Post

The Fox Van is worth msrp ~600 ish dollars and the rear Fox RP2 is not cheap. The suspension alone is worth it!! That is really cheap, they are losing money on that deal... I got one left in my shop and its $1200 still, Small frame.... IF that is brand new for that price from a bikeshop with a warranty=SOLD

Eventhough it is not a super light bike, which doesn't really matter...It will pedal really well, go fast downhill, and in turn make you a better, stronger rider!
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles View Post
    The Fox Van is worth msrp ~600 ish dollars and the rear Fox RP2 is not cheap. The suspension alone is worth it!! That is really cheap, they are losing money on that deal... I got one left in my shop and its $1200 still, Small frame.... IF that is brand new for that price from a bikeshop with a warranty=SOLD

Eventhough it is not a super light bike, which doesn't really matter...It will pedal really well, go fast downhill, and in turn make you a better, stronger rider!

Thanks! It is brand new from an authorized DB dealer. I went and looked at it tonight. It is a medium, just my size. The Price I was told originally was a little off. It looks like now worst case scenario $1000 plus tax and best case $750 plus tax. I will find out my best deal from owner when he is back on Saturday.

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by mc4nam View Post
    Thanks! It is brand new from an authorized DB dealer. I went and looked at it tonight. It is a medium, just my size. The Price I was told originally was a little off. It looks like now worst case scenario $1000 plus tax and best case $750 plus tax. I will find out my best deal from owner when he is back on Saturday.
    Yeah, that is below cost at 750, If they offer great service with the sell 1000 is a steal,
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have the same bike purchaced new 5/10 for $1400. Im no expert but I am very happy with it. That sounds like a very good price.