mtbr member
    May 2010

2008 mission questions.....

just picked up a 2008 mission1 and have a few questions...

ive seaeched and couldnt find real definate answers.

im looking at getting the fox dhx air, what size do i get , 7.8x2.0 or 7.8x2.25' and what size cans?

one more thing, i want to lighten up the bike and convert to single crank, what are the options for that?

13 yrs old in my own mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey47 View Post
    just picked up a 2008 mission1 and have a few questions...

ive seaeched and couldnt find real definate answers.

im looking at getting the fox dhx air, what size do i get , 7.8x2.0 or 7.8x2.25' and what size cans?

one more thing, i want to lighten up the bike and convert to single crank, what are the options for that?
    I believe the stock shock is 216x63mm or 8.5 x 2.48, but that is on a '11 / '10 / '09 missions and Bike-pedia does not give you the actual size of the shock for a '08. You measure the eyelet to eyelet of the shock that will give you the first number and the second number is the amount of stroke. If you measured at 7.8" eyelet to eyelet that is the first number and go with the longer stroke. Maybe someone else will chime in here and let you know.

Any crank can be a single speed if you can remove the chainrings.

Just buy yourself an AM crank with bash guard, I see them all over the net for less than $100 and get your self a chain-tension / guide to hold the chain on. BAM! got your self a single speed front crank.
    Last edited by Skulltoy; 10-17-2011 at 06:18 AM.
    Too many hobbies and not the proper income to support them all. Where's my karma boat?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    thanks for the info skull, can anybody else chime in? need to get a shock this week

Let the good times roll.
    Like skulloy said, you don't need new cranks for a single chainring setup.

The 2008 Mission takes a 200 x 50mm shock. That's 7.874 x 2.0 inches.

The DHX Air is a pretty good shock. If you get one, definitely use the small air can. I tried the large one briefly, and didn't get past my driveway before bottoming out.

Have you considered the Rockshox Monarch? I have a PUSHed Monarch RT-AM and love it. It feels about as smooth as the DHX when bombing downhill, but rides higher in its travel which gives more predictable performance in technical terrain. It's also a bit lighter. Of all the shocks I've tried on my Missions (Float R, DHX Air, and RP23) the monarch is by far my favorite.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh View Post
    Like skulloy said, you don't need new cranks for a single chainring setup.

The 2008 Mission takes a 200 x 50mm shock. That's 7.874 x 2.0 inches.

The DHX Air is a pretty good shock. If you get one, definitely use the small air can. I tried the large one briefly, and didn't get past my driveway before bottoming out.

Have you considered the Rockshox Monarch? I have a PUSHed Monarch RT-AM and love it.
    I will look into the both the DHX and the Monarch.

With the DHX, when you mention small can, would that be the 4.0 or 5.0?

Also which monarch do you have? and what are its measurements?

Let the good times roll.
    You need to get size 200 x 50mm regardless of shock. That's the only size that will fit on a pre-2010 Mission. Missions made after 2010 use 216x63mm shocks.

DHX 4.0 and 5.0 refer to the available adjustments. You lose bottom out force adjust on the 4.0, and I think that's an important feature to tweak the DHX for maximum performance. In other words, get the 5.0. When I got my DHX, it was only available from the factory with a large air can. I bought a small can separately from PUSH: Push Industries - FOX

I have the Monarch RT-AM: Push Industries - RockShox. You'll have to call PUSH and describe you riding style in as much detail as possible to get the best tune. Depending on what you say, they may steer you towards a different model - maybe the RT3 or Plus.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    would it be possible to use my can from my float r and put that on the dhx?

Let the good times roll.
    Yep. That will work just fine. It's exactly the same. Are you familiar with the procedure? Detailed instructions are somewhere on Fox's website.

Another option I forgot to mention is shimming the large DHX can. I did that for a while, and it felt pretty good.
    DHX air upgraded with the RP3 air sleeve

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i just found a dhx air for a good price but the seller is not sure of the stroke. if worst case scenario would i still be able to use the 2.25" stroke? if not would it be possible to shorten it?

Let the good times roll.
    You can't use 2.25. The seatstay brake will bang into the seattube. I'm not sure about shortening. I think it's possible to convert between 2" and 2.25". Call Suspension Experts. They did a nice job tuning my DHX Air. If anyone can shorten a shock for you, they can.

Suspension Experts Home Page

mtbr member
    May 2010
    is there a way to tell the stroke of the shock without opening it?

Let the good times roll.
    I think 2" and 2.25" shocks have the same exterior dimensions. The only way to measure would be to let all the air out and see how far the shock compresses. It might need to be mounted in a frame to get enough leverage to compress the shock all the way.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    ok when it arrives, i'll just take all the air out and mount it to the frame and bottom it out then measure how long the stroke is, or ill try to do it off the frame. now i just have to wait for it to come. im hoping its 2"

Let the good times roll.
    Sounds good.

Do NOT let air out of the boost valve when you compress the shock. Only the main air can. The boost valve must be kept over a certain pressure whenever the shock is compressed, otherwise bad things can happen with the damper oil that need a complete overhaul to fix. I think the minimum is 100psi. Please double check that on the Fox website before you do anything.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    thanks for the heads up. will report back when it arrives.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    got the new shock in and installed. measured the stroke with all the air out and thank goodness it was a 2 inch stroke.

been riding it for about a week now and i really love how it feels over my float r.

will post pictures soon of the bike

More Riding Less Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh View Post
    Yep. That will work just fine. It's exactly the same. Are you familiar with the procedure? Detailed instructions are somewhere on Fox's website.

Another option I forgot to mention is shimming the large DHX can. I did that for a while, and it felt pretty good.
    DHX air upgraded with the RP3 air sleeve

If you are going to go through with all of that work, I would just get an RP23. I originally wanted to swap a DHX air onto my Mission, but was convinced to try the RP23 first. I love that shock! I have litterally beat the HELL out of my Mission. I ride it almost every day and I ride on stuff that really should be ridden on the DH bike. (See the mini-missionDH post) That little shock has been bottomed more times than I can count and it is still running strong. It feels great and pedals well. It's the best airshock I've honestly ever ridden. I just got another one and put it on the wife's bike.

-KT
    Diamondback Development Force.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i would really like to give the rp23 a try but just bought the dhx.

now im on the hunt for my bashguard..

how do you size the bashguard? i dont want to order the wrong one.

Let the good times roll.
    I've had the DHX and RP23. They are both good shocks, but for different things. The DHX is more plush and stable at high speeds over rough terrain. The RP23 is more stable on rolling terrain, more plush at low speed, and climbs better. Both are good for big hits and bottom out resistance.

A bash must be at least as big as the largest chainring you're keeping (i.e 32T bash or bigger to protect a 32T chainring), and the mounting holes need to line up with the cranks. Most modern MTB cranks have 4 holes with 104mm bolt circle diameter (BCD) for the middle and outer chainrings, so that shouldn't be a bit problem.

FYI, you might have to play around with different chainring bolts depending how thick the bash is compared to the chainring it is replacing.

I recommend this one. It's what I would get if I wasn't planning to switch to 1x10 in the near future. It's one of the lightest around, and still plenty strong.
    Universal Cycles -- E-Thirteen Turbocharger Black Bashguard - Black

BBG bash makes some good stuff for cheap if you don't mind having a metal bash. Those are really light too, and warranty if they break.