mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Listen! 2008 Mission hardware

Hello Mission-riders.

I'm looking for the main bolt/nut that connects the knucklebox to the downtube.

That's the only bolt I need and DB has been no help. They have a rebuild kit that includes all hardware but it's approximately $150 and a local retailer needs to order it in.

If you have one you can spare from an unused/broken frame, please let me know.

Many thanks.

from StL
    I am in a similar situation. I have a 2008 Sortie 3 and need the connecting bolt from the knuckle box to the "seat stay". I think it has to be from this model year, as I bought a "rebuild kit" on e-bay, and it was NO help.

Same as Derrick, if you can spare one, I have this useless kit that I haven't really used as the parts are different sizes.

The bold is a hex head, threaded at the end to connect to the knuckle box, but smooth closer to the bolt head where it rotates inside the bearing for the "seat stay".

Help a brother out with any info, or something else that might work. Using a makeshift bolt I don't trust right now.

THANKS

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    DB customer service is pretty useless. Any replacement parts must be ordered in by a DB dealer, and the dealer will set the price. I found a shop somewhat near my area that would get the knucklebox rebuild kit for me for $125+ tax. Psh. I needed one bolt.

Turns out the knucklbox bearings are the same size as skateboard bearings. I took a skateboard wheel with me to Home Depot and found that a grade 8, 5/16" x 3 1/2" shoulder bolt had just enough smooth shoulder to clear the knucklebox bearings with a washer on both sides, plus the washers fully cover the bearings. Put some locktite on the threads, torqued up and cut off the excess threads and I'm back in business. $4 fix.

mtbr member

I did the bearings on 2008 mission

I used to have a 2008 mission and I did all the bearings with replacements from Enduro for $35.

This was for 8 bearings, including those in the Knucklebox.

The bolt is another story......

You can find my port as well and those by David Niles in this forum if you look for "bearing"

Good hunting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Sortie hardware source

Go to: BC Multisport

They sell a complete take off knucklebox "kit" - take off from 2010 and newer Sortie for $24.

The hardware may or may not fit the earlier Sortie - they should be able to tell you.

from StL
    Yeah, pretty sure that's the kit I ordered. It does not work for the 2008 Sortie 3. The bolt diameters are different. Thanks just the same though! Maybe I'll just shell out the $$$ to DB for the right part...

Will a continuously threaded bolt hurt the inside of the bearings (cylindrical metal part) on the knucklebox, compared to a bolt with a slick surface? That's the "band-aid" I have right now, but not sure I trust it.

from StL
    And thanks for that info Derrick, I'll have to check out Home Depot I guess. Good find, hopefully that is similar to the bolt I'm looking for!