Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2007 Diamondback Coil EX - Opinions

35K views 60 replies 16 participants last post by  Durdy Cheech 
#1 ·
I am interested in the Coil EX. Dicks has it on sale for $350, marked down from $600.

Basically will be doing a variety of riding, not just trails Is this a pretty good bike for the $$. Does anyone have this bike? Pros, cons, etc.? Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

#27 ·
I ride a 07 coil ex and have enjoyed it. I will warn you that you will catch a ton of crap for riding one i get at least one sly remark everytime i hit the trails. For a beginner getting into the sport it is great and can be easily upgraded to Meet your needs as you progress. It is not a downhill bike by any means though and i am telling you form expieriance. you'll find yourself walking anything too gnarely. but it all depends on you, the frame is solid and the more parts i put on it the more i like it.

Answer 40mm 6degree stem
31.8 bars
shimano deore brake levers
bontrager ranger rims
Bontrager earl tires
wellgo platforms

#28 ·
800 at once is also harder and keeps him off the trails longer. I found that upgrading mine as i progress has done good for me. Although i did kill my rear shock this last weekend. luckily the ridiculous 850 lbs spring will keep me from having to buy a shock right this moment lol.

#29 ·
I currently have the 08' and to be honest I love it. I'm nowhere near a DHer, so for what I do (mainly XC with a few DH-like sections) it does fantastic. Now, before I go too far, the only parts really left of the bike that are stock are the seat, levers, and rear derailleur.

Here's what I got:

Rock Shox Recon 351 Solo Air (140mm)
Fox Float R
(White) Velocity Blunt Rear Wheel (Quick Release)
(Black) WTB SpeedDisc Front Wheel (Thru Axle)
Avid BB7 Brakeset
Truvativ GXP Crankset
(Gold) Odyssey Pedals
Ritchey Rizer Handlebars
Ritchey Lock-On Grips
Kenda Klaw XT Tires
Kenda Presta Tubes (26" x 2.125")

#30 ·
I think maybe that's a 2007 since they don't show it on their site for 2008 :skep: Oh and small FYI, that frame was designed around a 80mm fork, so going to 100 would be OK, 120mm pushing it and 140, well just downright "Hope you have great medical and funeral coverage" :skep: I'd suggest you save up and throw those parts on a suitable frame designed for such a fork and with a better suspension design - loads of last years frames on sale or better yet search for a used GIANT Trance.

#31 ·
DB doesn't put the Coil on there site, in fact I can't remember ever seeing any year Coil on there. As far as the fork, John at Sickler's (LBS) suggested this fork stating how it had no effect on angles and would only improve the ride. Also, this frame came with a 100mm fork, so by that, a 120mm fork would be ok, and 140mm pushing it, or at least by your account (although it sounds like you've never ridden a Coil EX). Again, I've ridden the paint off this bike with this fork, and in no way has it felt unstable or "too much." I have ZERO complaints about my setup, I did it exactly to my liking and would rather not be judged by someone who reads a little about a bike and thinks they know all about it. Until you ride my setup, I would appreciate you keeping your negative opinions to yourself.

#32 ·
Hey little boy, go play in some kiddie sandtrap or something if you don't want opinions. This is an internet forum and if you post up pics of your bike you'll get opinions, sorry if your little ego can't handle someone saying negative things about your bike - grow some thicker skin.

As to not riding one of those bikes :skep: guess I never have :rolleyes: it was a figment of my imagination that I rode one for almost a year and 1800 miles. Guess you know everything :rolleyes: Enjoy your bike and post up pics when the HT breaks off :thumbsup: of you and the bike ;)

Oh and actually they used to, back when they didn't have anything really much better suspension wise, or maybe I imagined that too :skep: :roleyes:

mchale20 said:
DB doesn't put the Coil on there site, in fact I can't remember ever seeing any year Coil on there. As far as the fork, John at Sickler's (LBS) suggested this fork stating how it had no effect on angles and would only improve the ride. Also, this frame came with a 100mm fork, so by that, a 120mm fork would be ok, and 140mm pushing it, or at least by your account (although it sounds like you've never ridden a Coil EX). Again, I've ridden the paint off this bike with this fork, and in no way has it felt unstable or "too much." I have ZERO complaints about my setup, I did it exactly to my liking and would rather not be judged by someone who reads a little about a bike and thinks they know all about it. Until you ride my setup, I would appreciate you keeping your negative opinions to yourself.

#33 ·
LyNx said:
Hey little boy, go play in some kiddie sandtrap or something if you don't want opinions. This is an internet forum and if you post up pics of your bike you'll get opinions, sorry if your little ego can't handle someone saying negative things about your bike - grow some thicker skin.

As to not riding one of those bikes :skep: guess I never have :rolleyes: it was a figment of my imagination that I rode one for almost a year and 1800 miles. Guess you know everything :rolleyes: Enjoy your bike and post up pics when the HT breaks off :thumbsup: of you and the bike ;)

Oh and actually they used to, back when they didn't have anything really much better suspension wise, or maybe I imagined that too :skep: :roleyes:
Uh oh, sounds like someone's getting mad. Funny, but you say I should expect opinions and take them a little better, well, maybe you should take some of your own advice and not cry over what I have to say, which happened to actually hold truth whereas you tried to prove how my setup was wrong and didn't make sense. It appears as though you have nothing to say about that I see. What happened to you saying how I shouldn't have the fork I do? Or needing to make sure I have good health insurance? You tried to make my setup seem bad because you look down on a bike like this, and it appears I've proved you wrong. This, in turn, proves that what I had to say was merely a correction of your incorrect statements. And how would playing in "some kiddie sandtrap or something" effect how I view your opinion? You attempted to string two completely different thoughts together, when it made your statement make no sense whatsoever. But valid attempt,"A" for effort. Also, I had originally owned an 05' Coil X (which in no way compares to the newer models), and even that was not on their site. Now if you're done trying to make your mediocre life seem better by fighting with a "little boy" as you called me, i'll let you go cower in your poor attempt to make me look bad. :thumbsup:

#34 ·
And as for your opinion, it was very respectable and made sense except for this:

LyNx said:
Oh and small FYI, that frame was designed around a 80mm fork, so going to 100 would be OK, 120mm pushing it and 140, well just downright "Hope you have great medical and funeral coverage" [/I]
Which was obviously an attempt to say "your wrong by doing that to your bike, and I'm right." Really, medical and funeral coverage? Are you saying I'll die if I ride my bike? That's a rather odd thing to say for an "opinion." Did you have this Exact setup on your 2008 Coil EX? Do you have ANY idea how it would ride whatsoever? If not, that just sounded like an attempt to put down my bike and nothing like an "opinion." I respect the opinions of people willing to give positive, and even constructive criticism, not yours which is an attempt to either make you feel good about your setup, or make someone else feel bad about there's.

As for your "year" of experience, congrats man, that's awesome, you know something about your old Coil (with none of the upgrades the 08 has), but that doesn't mean you know ANYTHING about the newer Coils. And you obviously appreciated it enough to ride it for a whole year, or 1800 miles. It seemed to do you well. So please, take your naive, ignorant thoughts to someone who gives a damn about what you have to say.

P.S. You seem to be using smilies in place of punctuation marks. Is that due to your lack of grammatical sense? Maybe you should evaluate your situation instead of trying to place judgement on me.

#35 · (Edited)
Dude, it's OK to admit you dumped a load of money into a not worth while frame, everyone has to start somewhere and learn, so call this your learning experience. With what you spent on it you could just have bought one of their knuckle box bikes and have a much better, multi pivot bike instead of an antiquated single pivot.

mchale20 said:
.........................yada, yada, yada ..........................:thumbsup:
I hated that bike, it's a POS and was only ridden that long until I knew better and could afford something better, but you have fun with yours ;)

And you obviously appreciated it enough to ride it for a whole year, or 1800 miles. It seemed to do you well. So please, take your naive, ignorant thoughts to someone who gives a damn about what you have to say.
Yeah, my grammar is really lacking, I use emoticons on an internet forum :skep: oops I did it again!

#36 ·
mchale20, I would suggest mounting the rear shock on there the other way. Much more cleareance. I had a Coil EX frame back in 07 and built it up with some nice parts laying around. Rode it for about 6months then sold it to buy a Mission. Did not weigh a ton, 28lbs totally, But I was running a xt drivetain , light wheels and air suspension. It was a ok riding bike , what I expected out of a single pivot frame. You can always sell it and buy a nicer bike or swap to a better frame in the future. But if you happy with it just enjoy the trails, Ohhh why are you running that crazy high stem? Might want to change that to get better handling.

Everyone has to start somewhere..:thumbsup:

#37 ·
DavidNeiles said:
mchale20, I would suggest mounting the rear shock on there the other way. Much more cleareance. I had a Coil EX frame back in 07 and built it up with some nice parts laying around. Rode it for about 6months then sold it to buy a Mission. Did not weigh a ton, 28lbs totally, But I was running a xt drivetain , light wheels and air suspension. It was a ok riding bike , what I expected out of a single pivot frame. You can always sell it and buy a nicer bike or swap to a better frame in the future. But if you happy with it just enjoy the trails, Ohhh why are you running that crazy high stem? Might want to change that to get better handling.

Everyone has to start somewhere..:thumbsup:
Thanks Dave, very sound advice. By "other way" what do you mean? Like this [ ]===
instead of this ===[ ] ? Yeah, the stem is rather high. I'm going to fault my LBS for that one. They stated that they needed to cut the tube when I first gave it to them, but I don't think they ever did that. Maybe I'll bring it to them and have them shorten it for me. And thank you, I am happy with it, she takes everything I have to give her, and just keeps on going.

#38 ·
LyNx said:
Dude, it's OK to admit you dumped a load of money into a not worth while frame, everyone has to start somewhere and learn, so call this your learning experience. With what you spent on it you could just have bought one of their knuckle box bikes and have a much better, multi pivot bike instead of an antiquated single pivot.

I hated that bike, it's a POS and was only ridden that long until I knew better and could afford something better, but you have fun with yours ;)

Yeah, my grammar is really lacking, I use emoticons on an internet forum :skep: oops I did it again!
And still, he just continues to b*tch. Lol, grow up old man and learn to avoid arguments you have no place in. Instead of coming on here daily b*tching and moaning about this and that, get your old ass out there and ride. No one wants to hear the flaccid statements that keep spewing out of your unintelligent brain. Instead of offering helpful suggestions to those in need, you try to put them down. I would bank that you're still single, lmao. Go find yourself a life big guy, because you're beating your head against a wall here.

#39 ·
Nice bike Mchale20,

Im looking at upgrading my forks too. Do you recall what the steerer tube diameter is and what the minimum tube length is? I know yours is real long. Also does the tube need to be threaded?

Anyone else can respond if you know what dimensions I need. Thanx! Im dont get any luck when I tried calling DB directly.

#41 ·
Yes its 1-1/8th. Length varies a bit by size. All new forks come with a 10" or so long steerer tube.

Procedure is to either measure the old one and cut to length or install the lower crown race. This will need to be pounded down with a special tool until it is absolutely flat and even with the fork crown. Then install the lower bearings, put the tube through the head tube, install the upper headset cup/bearings add spacers to preference and stem. Then make a mark in marker at the top of the stem. Remove it all but lower crown race. Measure 1/8th or below the stem line and cut. Install the star nut.

The above is just for fit you don't have to tighten the stem down. Be sure the star nut is at least 1/4" to 1/2" below the top of the steerer tube. Then install your headset as you normally would, the spacers, and the headset cap as well.

Tools needed:
Bi-metal hacksaw
Vice
Half round metal file
Mallet, or large hammer
Threadless saw guide
Starnut setter
Crown race setter
Crown race puller

The last 2 can be optional, but you risk mangling your crown race. The crown race setter can be made with a 10" 1-1/4" steel/iron pipe, the removal of the crown race can be done CAREFULLY with a hammer and long flat head screw driver.

You may want to let your local shop (probably not Dick's unless you're lucky enough to have a good tech like me or David there) do it.

Incidentally Marzocchi 44 tst 2 That's the fork I just bought for my hard tail. Its 120mm, and I would go anywhere beyond that for the Coil Ex. Seems to be a great mid level fork, but its been raining on my days off consistently so I haven't tested it yet on real dirt.

David. Feel free to add or subtract anything I said here. :thumbsup:

#42 ·
Energetik said:
Yes its 1-1/8th. Length varies a bit by size. All new forks come with a 10" or so long steerer tube.

Procedure is to either measure the old one and cut to length or install the lower crown race. This will need to be pounded down with a special tool until it is absolutely flat and even with the fork crown. Then install the lower bearings, put the tube through the head tube, install the upper headset cup/bearings add spacers to preference and stem. Then make a mark in marker at the top of the stem. Remove it all but lower crown race. Measure 1/8th or below the stem line and cut. Install the star nut.

The above is just for fit you don't have to tighten the stem down. Be sure the star nut is at least 1/4" to 1/2" below the top of the steerer tube. Then install your headset as you normally would, the spacers, and the headset cap as well.

Tools needed:
Bi-metal hacksaw
Vice
Half round metal file
Mallet, or large hammer
Threadless saw guide
Starnut setter
Crown race setter
Crown race puller

The last 2 can be optional, but you risk mangling your crown race. The crown race setter can be made with a 10" 1-1/4" steel/iron pipe, the removal of the crown race can be done CAREFULLY with a hammer and long flat head screw driver.

You may want to let your local shop (probably not Dick's unless you're lucky enough to have a good tech like me or David there) do it.

Incidentally Marzocchi 44 tst 2 That's the fork I just bought for my hard tail. Its 120mm, and I would go anywhere beyond that for the Coil Ex. Seems to be a great mid level fork, but its been raining on my days off consistently so I haven't tested it yet on real dirt.

David. Feel free to add or subtract anything I said here. :thumbsup:
Good right up there...but if I were hime (who doesn't have a heck of alot of knowledge), I would just pay the bike shop to do it, probably cost $25 or so. Being a former Dick's lackey, I'd be curious to know how many of their techs could do it... ahh, part of me misses those Dick's days...

#43 ·
I would take it to a shop if your'e a newb. $25-40 is about what you'll pay. It is really easy to do with the right tools! I would leave about 25-30mm( 5-6 5mm spacers) of room when cutting the steerer tube, usually the old fork is a good point of reference. At Dick's it cost $25 bucks and I personally do a fair amount of fork installs, lots of customers that buy a fork online and upgrade their Response Sports for example. lol

Just go somewhere you feel comfortable with, I customer I know bought a fork a few years back and it a hurry ran to the LBS down the street to have them install it, the LBS cut the steerer tube so short it was flush with the top of his headset :madman: !!! The shop had to order new upppers from Marzocchi and they lost some money and gave me a good laugh. He never went back and now just comes to see me for service now. LOL

#44 ·
Thanks for the details gents. Im new to MTB'ng and got the 09 at Dicks for $250!! Could pass it up. Upgraded to SRAM X7 comps so far and will b getting shocks soon too. Now I know what size to get thanks again. Oh there are Several LBS in my area and have been around for over 15 years.

#45 ·
jbl_91762 said:
Nice bike Mchale20,

Im looking at upgrading my forks too. Do you recall what the steerer tube diameter is and what the minimum tube length is? I know yours is real long. Also does the tube need to be threaded?

Anyone else can respond if you know what dimensions I need. Thanx! Im dont get any luck when I tried calling DB directly.
Thank you. Sorry no action shots, I tend to ride alone, but I will be getting some dirty shots up soon.

#47 ·
jbl_91762 said:
Sorry gents need another question answered. Im shopping fleabay and need to know what is the least length the steerer tube can be cut? Most on ebay are cut to about 7.5 inches. Will that work on the Coil EX?

Thanks again!
I don't know what kind of fork (size of travel), but if you're ok with your handlebars being right on your HT, it will fit.

#51 ·
LyNx said:
I think maybe that's a 2007 since they don't show it on their site for 2008 :skep: Oh and small FYI, that frame was designed around a 80mm fork, so going to 100 would be OK, 120mm pushing it and 140, well just downright "Hope you have great medical and funeral coverage" :skep: I'd suggest you save up and throw those parts on a suitable frame designed for such a fork and with a better suspension design - loads of last years frames on sale or better yet search for a used GIANT Trance.
Forgot to mention that the Coil EX after 07 was a Dick's exclusive model, so you would not find info anywhere on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.