Pushing 60
    Jul 2010

2007 Coil EX Frame Broke - Now What?

Background: I bought a pair of 2007 DB Coil EX FS bikes (large and medium) for my wife and me about 4 and a half years ago. I found that I really took to mountain biking (go figure!) and have been upgrading components with nice stuff ever since. (The only original equipment left is the frame and seat tube.) A few days ago, I heard some creaking and discovered the weld on the swing arm that connects to the main (and only) pivot was cracked all the way through! Since I had it apart anyway, I cannibalized my wife's bike and installed her good swing arm on mine. (She wants hers restored!)

Now what?: Should I pursue warranty replacement or purchase of a replacement swing arm or just bite the bullet and get a better frame -- such as a Yeti 575? My concern is that the swing arm is only supported at the one pivot point, and I am about 220 lbs. Am I just postponing another, perhaps catastrophic, frame failure if I stay with the Coil EX? Also, what should I expect as a response from Diamondback? (They were pretty abrupt thus far -- I had to contact an LBS, who is still working it.)

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Ken.

Let the good times roll.
    DB will most likely help you if you're the original owner and if the bike is still under warranty. They've sent me several Mission frames so far with no fuss.

I don't think riding the Coil EX is putting you at unreasonable risk. Any frame can fail, and I've seen plenty of high-end bikes need warranty replacement. Regardless what you ride, you should be in the habit of carefully checking welds every few rides to spot cracks before they fail completely.

But if you want a nicer bike and can afford it, now is a good time. There are some good deals as shops try to get rid of lingering 2011 stock.

Pushing 60
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwisejosh View Post
    DB will most likely help you if you're the original owner and if the bike is still under warranty. They've sent me several Mission frames so far with no fuss.

I don't think riding the Coil EX is putting you at unreasonable risk. Any frame can fail, and I've seen plenty of high-end bikes need warranty replacement. Regardless what you ride, you should be in the habit of carefully checking welds every few rides to spot cracks before they fail completely.

But if you want a nicer bike and can afford it, now is a good time. There are some good deals as shops try to get rid of lingering 2011 stock.
    Thanks for the input. Yes, I am the original owner, but it has been a full (and fun!) 4 1/2 years ago -- but I would expect they should cover a broken frame. It is comfortable for me so would like to make it work going forward, if at all possible. Hopefully they will make it right and life will go on... I guess broken welds will just be another item to check and add to my list of things to worry about. Thanks again!

Ken

Let the good times roll.
    Full suspension bikes are covered for 5 years

Pushing 60
    Jul 2010
    That's great news -- there may be hope!

But still no word from Diamondback or the LBS they referred me to...

Here are a few pictures of the broken swing arm weld:
    Thanks again.... Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2007 Coil EX Frame Broke - Now What?-dimndbk-broken-swing-arm_10.jpg  

2007 Coil EX Frame Broke - Now What?-dimndbk-broken-swing-arm_9.jpg  

2007 Coil EX Frame Broke - Now What?-dimndbk-broken-swing-arm_7.jpg  

Pushing 60
    Jul 2010
    DRAT! Just called the LBS back... Diamondback told them the swing arm is only covered for ONE YEAR! (The front frame is 5 years.) They did offer a meager 15% discount on a new frame!!

So.... Goodbye Diamondback... (and thanks for all the fish)

Ken

Pushing 60
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kstovesand View Post
    DRAT! Just called the LBS back... Diamondback told them the swing arm is only covered for ONE YEAR! (The front frame is 5 years.) They did offer a meager 15% discount on a new frame!!

Ken
    Oh -- and of course they do not offer the part anymore, or I would just buy one....

Singletrack Slayer
    If you read the warranty info throughly it states all that info. It is in full discloser. 5yrs on frames and with FS bike, not the swing arms, some companies only cover the front triangle and the rear end is usually several components like a chainstay or seat stay, in ur case the whole rear end... It's not too uncommon. I know a friend how broke the chainstay clean off a 06 Stumpjumper FSR and Specialized sold him the chain stay for 140, new bearings, 30, and he need a newbolt kit which was 60. Plus labor, He got a deal but it was a bike he wanted to keep and could not afford a new bike. So it can be costly but that is not uncommon on FS bikes! You should really try out a Sorite Frameset if you can get a good discount on it if you want. Otherwise, sorry u are so mad and hope you find a bike you like...

~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    buy mission
    I'm from Ukraine, Kiev
    I'm graphics and web designer
    Follow me on Behance

mtbr member

Ken
    That sucks! If money is an issue, I would feel completely comfortable taking that swingarm to a good tig welder and having it re-welded. It is a FACT that a good weld is stronger than the original material and the original material lasted you this long.

Having said that, I am happy that I am a GIANT owner; though I do have a DB hardtail too. I ran into my regional GIANT representative at the trailhead a month or so ago and asked him if my 2001 GIANT DS-1 WARP frame had a lifetime warrantee and he confirmed that it did and that if my WARP frame broke he had several to replace mine with even though they stopped making the bike some years back...But he said he has had very few WARPS needing a warrantee replacement. I'm down to 260 now but have been riding this bike even upwards of 320 and haven't broken this bike...and that's impressive to me as I jump this thing as much as I can. I've cleared table tops up to 20' long and taken several drops up to 4'; so I'm not easy on it.

Good luck to you whichever way you go.

Pushing 60
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles View Post
    If you read the warranty info throughly it states all that info. It is in full discloser. 5yrs on frames and with FS bike, not the swing arms, some companies only cover the front triangle and the rear end is usually several components like a chainstay or seat stay, in ur case the whole rear end... It's not too uncommon. I know a friend how broke the chainstay clean off a 06 Stumpjumper FSR and Specialized sold him the chain stay for 140, new bearings, 30, and he need a newbolt kit which was 60. Plus labor, He got a deal but it was a bike he wanted to keep and could not afford a new bike. So it can be costly but that is not uncommon on FS bikes! You should really try out a Sorite Frameset if you can get a good discount on it if you want. Otherwise, sorry u are so mad and hope you find a bike you like...

Thanks for the warranty explanation and best wishes, David!

I ordered a new 2011 Yeti 575 XL frame yesterday... guess will try "The Tribe" and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Ken

Singletrack Slayer

I ordered a new 2011 Yeti 575 XL frame yesterday... guess will try "The Tribe" and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Ken
    Sweet, Love Yetis I have owned a few a long time ago. If you every want to consider DB in the future, the Sortie or Mission Framesets are now for sale in 2012, In the mean time, have a blast and enjoy the trails most of all
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

Let the good times roll.

Ken
    Sorry I got your hopes up for nothing. I forgot about swingarms only having one year warranty. All my frames failed in the main frame.

Have fun on your new bike!

mtbr member

Ken
    the tribe can be equally frustrating. I had the Der hanger screws back out on my asx and instead of selling me the .50 pieces or providing the hardware size so I could pick it up locally I had to purchase an entire new hanger set. And while it was only $20 bucks, I felt pretty put aside.

Pushing 60
    Jul 2010
    Sorry I got your hopes up for nothing. I forgot about swingarms only having one year warranty. All my frames failed in the main frame.

Have fun on your new bike!
    No problem Josh! Just expectations... I REALLY appreciate your inputs -- take care!

Ken

{Believeland}
    question, so if i were to break my rear triangle after 1 year, is it still replaceable whatsoever? i would be okay with paying for it of course, but i wasn't really sure how that worked.
    ride fast.... live slow