Thread: 2005 Ram 4.0

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

2005 Ram 4.0

I am looking at buying a new bike and am somewhat confused. I looked at a 2005 Raleigh RAM 4.0 and was looking at customizing it. The thoughts so far are Full XT (Shifters, Front and Rear D, and Hubs), Hydraulic Discs (unsure which ones), Possibly Tubeless Rims (Again unsure which ones), and a couple other weight savers (different seat post etc). Currently it is selling for $1299 (down from $1699). Would it be worth the increased price ($1500 to 1800) to get these upgrades from the stock setup or would I be better off getting a different bike? What kind of quality can I expect from Raleigh? Are Raleigh bikes comparable to the other bigger manufacturers? I like the Ram frame and extra travel better than the Inferno, but would I better off starting with an Inferno frame and customizing it? Sorry for all the questions, but I just can't find a lot of information about Raleigh, and the places I am finding information makes them seem like a lower end bike manufacturer.
    Thank you
    Jacob

John Galt
    Raleigh actually is a pretty big brand and is a sister brand to Diamondback. Both used to make some really high-end bikes and now I would say both are mid-range brands, but opinions may vary. Most feedback on the Ram has been quite positive - MTBR reviews and this forum being two of the best sources for info. Everything I've read indicates the current bikes are of high quality and that the customer service is good when there is a problem (any company's frames can have some problems).

The question of upgrades is always one of what you're after. You mention weight savers - will you race this bike (XC)? Unless you're racing and want to get it under 25 lbs. or some target like that, the best plan is to find all the outside reviews you can, test ride the bike, buy it if you like it, ride it as-is and then upgrade over time based on actual experience with the bike and the specific parts. This will probably save you money in the long run and definitely will in the short term.

Also, before investing in full XT or something like that, I strongly suggest testing out SRAM triggers and twist shifters at bike shops or on friends' bikes - try everything you can when customizing so you can get exactly what you like best.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

can't beat the price/value mix

The Ram 4.0 is a great value at the $1299 price. You get better components than Raleighs current offerings Phase and Phase1. My LBS liked my 4.0 so much he bought one for himself. He changed the forks and put a Marzocchi bomber on it and some aluminum bars because he does more downhill and the team carbon bars are not really rated for downhill.

Check out mine on the show us your Raleighs sticky,

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the quick response. The main reason I had doubt was when I found 2004's Ram 4.0 specs and it weighed in at 35 lbs. The 2005 didn't seem to weigh as much and comes stock with much better parts, but it still makes me wonder. I like the way it rode, and it seems like the right price, but I don't want to be buying a bunch of good parts on a heavy, crappy frame. Have you had any problems with the frame since owning yours? Any thing else you would recommend before buying the bike? Thanks for any input you guys can offer
    JACOB

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Ram 4.0 weight

I weighed mine and it was 31.8lbs ready to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The 05 Ram 4.0 is a great riding bike and the spec is better than anything else in that price range. The easiest and cheapest way to drop a little weight on that bike is to add kevlar bead tires, Stans and a light seatpost. The frame is not the lightest but it will last and Raleigh will actually stand by their lifetime warranty unlike most companies. The quality is also very good on their products.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Rear shock

I just got a Ram 4.0 frame. It is a bare frame right now. I have been riding off and on since around 1995 but this will be my first full suspension frame. I need to buy a rear shock for it but don't know what size to look at. Any suggestions?

Sorry to hijack this thread but it is so old I didn't think anyone would mind.

Thanks for any help.

Andy