mtbr member
    Oct 2009

1998 DBR V8 Decals help...

I am looking at/and possibly buying a very nice used 1998 DBR V8 today after work. The ONLY problem with the bike is that the decals are gone.
    I need to find a source for the decals or I am not going to purchase the bike.
    Any help would be great. Pic attached for reference.
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Honestly if anyone owns one and has any detailed pics , I can have the decals re-created. The one on the top tube, kinda looks like flames or something, but I cannot tell.

John Galt
    I have a fairly high-res catalog photo here: http://home.comcast.net/~cason.grover/V8_brochure.jpg

And I imagine Velocals can make 'em. They've made a couple of sets for me.

http://www.velocals.com/servlet/StoreFront

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks a lot cegrover. I purchased the bike last night, and although the decals are gone, it is in excellent shape.
    Temporarily may go another direction with the original decals... I work at a decal company, and as luck would have it, we are starting to produce old vintage Captain America Vinyl for the upcoming movie. I am possibly going to re-size some of these and make a tribute bike of sorts. Unbelievable, but the blue and red in the old Comic Book stuff matches almost exactly to the DB colors on the bike. Not to mention as a kid I was a huge fan of those Comic Books
    Also thinking of buying some blue or red Panaracers, stay tuned...

John Galt
    Sounds cool to me! Good find on the V8 - I think it's an under-appreciated bike, given what it was (25-pound FS bike) and when.

Be sure to check it for cracks: http://www.geocities.ws/cegrover/vlink_issues.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks, luckily there are no cracks anywhere, just a handfull of scratches, checked that out before the buy. All original except for the Thompson Elite Seatpost, new Rear Derailleaur, and has some nice Velocity Deep V wheels with Front Red Chris King Hub, Machine Tech Rear. I think I totally stole this thing considering it was a $2,200.00 bike when new...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Also posted in the VRC Thread, but here it is! A few scratches here and there, and has no decals, but overall very nice shape, pivots are great and both Front and rear suspension work perfectly. Has a few nice upgrades on it as well. I did swap out the original Titec 120mm Stem for something a Little more upright, and added the RL Saddle. Has Chris King Front Hub, Machine Tech Rear Hub, Velocity Deep V Wheels. Thomson Elite Post, etc...... Not too sure if I am gonna keep it or not, but for now I plan to at least for a while... This thing is insanely light...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1998 DBR V8 Decals help...-racing-dbrv8-067.jpg  

1998 DBR V8 Decals help...-racing-dbrv8-068.jpg  

John Galt
    That's pretty cool. If you're considering selling, don't bother with a unique decal theme. Either don't worry about decals at all, or duplicate the originals to help document what it is. If you're keeping it, on the other hand, go for it!

I saw you asked about value on the Vintage, Retro, Classic Forum here at MTBR. Note that that forum has a "what's it worth" sticky thread at the top. You won't get answers outside of that thread.

Anyway, on value, I sold my '98 V-Link 3.2 a few years ago locally and I believe I got around $400 or so for it. It was a lower model than yours, but had been completely upgraded (SRAM 9.0 shifters, RD and levers, XTR V-brakes, Mavic 517s on XT hubs, MX Pro ETA fork, Stratos Helix Pro shock, Thomson stem and post, etc). So...it was pretty comparable (all V-Links and V-6/8/10 have exactly the same frame, but V8 has shorter rear travel). I also sold my '98 V6 with a Marathon S fork and otherwise stock for around the same money.

So...you can assume you'll get something like that, but it could take awhile to sell and, of course, all it takes is the right buyer to pay a little more or wrong buyers and the price goes down. Basically, you're selling to someone who wants full suspension and wants to pay a lower price for an older bike. These aren't really collectible bikes, so interest on that end is limited to a few people, and those few will want the original decals and more original components, or will expect to pay less.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The VRC Thread will not load on either my computer at home, or at work. Way too many posts I guess, I tried it on numerous occasions, so I figured I would just ask and see if anyone would help me out. Not to mention this bike is kinda on the edge of being in that Forum anyway. I figured it did not have disk brakes, so that may help... Thanks a lot for at giving me some idea. Honestly I have no intention of letting this bike go, at least not for a while anyway. The decals I will be making are completely removeable with no residue, so when I can find another set to match the originals I will be able to swap them out easily.