mtbr member
    Oct 2011

'12 DB Recoil Comp...wanting to upgrade fork?

hey bros, Just got a '12 DB recoil comp and im excited. im brand new to the biking scene, i used to own GT hardtail way back before i can remember, but this is my first FS mountain bike and im excited. After all my research i found this to be the best introductory bike not to mention i really like the look of it. im a little over 5'10" and around 185 lbs. I got the M (18") frame. I also ordered the wifey a '12 DB Lux sport, got her the XS (13") frame, she is 5'1", she is very small. Few questions for you guys, i had to order online, im in afghanistan, found a good deal on them and couldnt pass it up, do these frame sizes sound correct for us? I know it gets more technical with reach and TT length, but overall from your experience, what do you think about those sizes? Also im looking at doing a little more aggressive riding, wondering how the 100mm suntour fork would hold up? Possibly thinking about upgrading to maybe a 120/140mm? fork, but i think if i go too high i will throw the geometry of the bike off, not to mention its a 4" travel. I believe the rear is a 4" as well, its hte Rock Shox BAR-R suspension. So what are you opinions? Im obviously just starting out, so i wont be going wild, but i want to have something that will hold up if i try to push a little ya know? I plan on using this bike for casual trail riding with my girl, and then maybe do a little more aggressive riding with some friends... looking for some speed and maybe some jumps? Not really like a dedicated downhill course because this is not a downhill bike, but will this bike hold up to more aggressive/more technical riding? and what upgrades should i be looking at getting to make it a better bike for aggressive riding...the last thing i need is to eat it because i landed and the fork snapped ya know? Well please hit me back, im really wanting to learn alot and learn from current DB owners! Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    anyone??

mtbr member
    Well cant speak much about FS bikes ( I ride a hard tail ) but in my opinion a brand new 12 DB Recoil fork upgrade doesnt make a lot of sense. I would upgrade other parts first ie derailer, pedals, stem, bar, seatpost. and when the front fork finally does die transfer the upgraded parts over to a new frame and fork... Forks to me are one of the most expensive upgrades to make and unless you are able to get a good second hand fork I wouldnt worry to much about it.

EDIT: To answer your first question, the frame sizes sound about right, depends more on your inseam and pedal/heel to hip while in a comfortable position..
    Last edited by Pakpal73; 10-27-2011 at 10:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    As for the sizes... just make sure you have at least 2" clearance inseam... As for the fork, changing to an air fork will do the bike wonders! both weightwise and performance. If you can sell the OEM fork and then use the funds to buy a new one then I don't think it's a bad deal. good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Sounds good guys. I think i will ride it for a while first and see how it feels and decide to make the adjustments from there. IM thinking eventually i want to get a downhill frame and build something from there. thanks for the replies

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Pics?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    ill post some up as soon as i get back, still currently in afghanistan haha. I was just curious as to how the stock setup will hold up on the trails, what kind of abuse it can take with the stock setup. i know its a trail bike but if i ride it on some decent aggresive trails how will it hold up ya know

banned
    Jun 2011
    hey i have a recoil comp and if u havent purchased a fork yet i highly recomend the x fusion velour its under 4 pouds its air and a bad ass fork to say the least if u search around there cheap as well i got mine on ebay for 238 with free shipping and its a whole new bike i even put sram xo and some mavic tubeless on it with a whole new cockpit and new crank with craank bro peddles carbon bonty rxl saddle and thonpson elite post and hayes stroker carbons with 203 mm rotors and a rp23 in the rear and im telling u what ive road everything from top fuel to fsx xc and s works and santa cruz and ellsworth i beleive my bike will hold its own against any major bike produced if youre whilling to go the extra mile with componants thid frame is bombproof i will take on any one on any course with a 5 to 8000 ride and i garauntee this bike will hold its own but for the fork check out the 2010 x fusion velour they replaced the velvet that year with velour and its amazing and dirt cheap i ride x fusion so i say any of there forks are great but this one in perticular for the money is unbeatable