mtbr member
    Jun 2010

07 Coil EX Upgrades

Hey guys, new to the forums and relatively new to the MTB world.

I got a '07 a CoilEX a few year back as a gift and was fine riding it around town but I recently moved to Colorado for school and started doing some more intense riding.

First off, I know the Coil Ex's are low end bikes to begin with, but it was a gift so no initial money was invested so I see upgrading it as I go as a good option. I know the forks are going to have to go eventually but the stock ones are working fine right now so I will leave those to next season if I can.

Immediately, I think the most critical improvements need to go into the most critical parts of the bike, those being the drive train, brakes and pedals. The stocks drive train is garbage and I constantly have to tune it after every ride. So...

I found this deal for the SRAM X 7 drive train and Avid BB7 brakes for $337.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm...20SRA7D6%20KIT

Any ideas suggestions would help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have that setup on my 09 Ex. and love it! Also have a RS318 Solo air fork and Manitou SPV rear. Rides like a champ!! Good luck with your build! Try ebay!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the reply, I ordered it yesterday, can't wait to build it. Curious, why did you choose those particular shocks?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by max.mecklenburg
    Thanks for the reply, I ordered it yesterday, can't wait to build it. Curious, why did you choose those particular shocks?
    I did alot of research on the review section on forks and for the price, u can't go wrong. My son has one in his Specialized also. I wanted a rear shock with a coil and air cause
    there is a good post here comparing the two. Scored on eBay on both shocks. You will not be disappointed w shock upgrades total joke w stock. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have a 07 ex and i put a marzocchi 44 rlo on the front and a manitou swinger 4 way on the back. Changed the bike completely! Now i ride confident, i was instantly faster, and im not questioning if the bike can handle certain obstacles. I have been building mine up as i go for awhile and i have not been disapointed yet. the x7 drive train is leaps and bounds better too. im still running the stock brakes so idk about those.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Swoll, try the Avid BB7's after reading up here its leaps and bounds better! single finger pull and you can lock up the brakes! How do you like the Swinger 4way? I do like the SPV but its only 3 way, it does great but I wonder what the 4 feels like

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ill have to look into them, i kinda wanna go hydraulic though. idk its just money right... lol. I love the 4 way, i only weigh 135-140. i put like 70 psi in it and slapped a 500 lbs spring on it [ i may have lowered the air pressure i dont remember] It is awesome, the bike still aint a downhill bike by any means but it soaks everything. I found a neighbor with a 5ft brick retaining wall around the front yard and it is a straight drop to asphault. I hit it when he wasnt home and the landing didnt feel harsh at all, i didnt even bottom. Not to mention when im gettin into a good rythum over rock doubles on the trail it works w/ me so im not fightin rebound or slop or anything. The marzocchi 44 rlo i put aint no joke either, i've been slowly building up confidence to go bigger and bigger and it hasn't givin in at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    thanks swollI have the older 3way spv and looking into the 4way. Hydraulics are nice if you get the right ones. But from what posters here have said, if you dont get the bleeding or adjustment right its not gonna work as expected. the Avid BB7 are definetly a cheaper way to go and for your weight, you wont need hydros. You wont be dissappointed in the BB7, trust me and everyone here who has them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah guys, after putting the X-7 train and the BB7's the Coil's performance has been a lot better. Cant afford new shocks right now, but you're giving me a clearer picture. Thanks. @ Swoll, everyone I talked to says they like Hydraulics but can't ever give any definite benefit over mechanical disks. Plus, if they go out, you can't repair them easily at all. Point in case, Mechanical disks are just as good, and are more reliable and can take a better beating.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thats a good point. I never thought about that. The definite advantage is clamping force. hydraulic brakes use valving to multiply the pressure your fingers create to achieve a higher amount of pressure at the piston in the caliper. basically it takes less work from you to lock them up. mechanicals also multiply the force, they just dont multiply it as much. I think i might go w/ mechanical though cuz i cant afford to break hydros. Thanks for the insight you probably just saved me mucho deneiro lol