Appalachian Highlander

06 XSL Trail delimma

So, I have a whole stable of bikes. One of them is a 2006 Diamondback XSL Trail. In '06 it was the most capable Diamondback Mountain bike you could get....and I had an itch to try full suspension. I was later lucky enough to nab an '08 Sortie 3, which is perfect for me, because I like the steeper geometry vs. the '09 and '10 models.

The problem is, my XSL Trail has become something of the odd man out. I made a lot of improvements (Cane Creek wheels, Ritchey Stem, Handlebar, Seatpost, Avid BB7 discs, Marzocchi Rocco Air R)

I have no intention of getting rid of the bike, but I really don't know what to do with it. Do you folks have any ideas for me? The best I can come up with is to make it my AM bike. It definitely descends better than any of my other bikes, and the wheels are strong enough.....
    let me know what you think.

Thanks

Appalachian Highlander
    Really? Nothing? I know you guys are more creative than that.

Singletrack Slayer
    My 2 cents on the deal. Sell the XSL and get some money to use towards the other bikes you got. That is what I would do in your shoes. Maybe a nice handbuilt wheelset for that Sortie.

Appalachian Highlander
    Thanks much for that very reasonable suggestion. I might just do that.....I have some Easton XC Ones I'm putting on the Sortie (and crossing my fingers they don't fall apart. The reviews on here seem to suggest they'll either be awesome or they'll collapse instantly. It's been 10 years since I broke a wheel, though) I might get some X.0 drivetrain stuff for my WCF, though. And if there's any left over, I'll put it into a new crank for my '96 Apex SE.

Singletrack Slayer
    Why don't you have me build you a nice handbuilt wheelset for ya! Come on down to Chattanooga and lets hit up some trails and build you some nice durable wheels. What would you like to use. I would go for Hope hubs, dt spokes 14g black, and Mavic 819= Bombproof. Plus you can customize ur colors.

Appalachian Highlander
    Some anodized blue would look awesome on that Sortie, don't you think? I was thinking about outfitting it with a lot of ano blue stuff, if I can find stuff that's the same blue. You know, headset, bar ends (I'm a flat bar guy), pedals, crankarms, quick releases, etc.

Appalachian Highlander
    Also note worthy, I'm in Iraq until at least April. I'm just daydreaming about my bikes back home until then. I may come down to Chattanooga, as work brings me through there on occasion, and I'll be sure to check in. You have a shop down there, right?