mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Yeti SB-95 or Devinci Atlas

Aloha - Trying to decide between two available deals on my next 29er.

I'm 6'3"/210 and ride primarily cross country, moving to a little bit more trail. I live on Whidbey Island, WA (Ebey/Kettles is my home trail for anyone familiar)

Deal One is a 2014 Yeti SB-95 in XL.

Deal Two is a Devinci Atlas. Dealer believes a Large would be sufficient.

I'd be putting my XX1/X01 drivetrain on either.

I'm not a weight weenie (there are spare lbs around my navel), and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts, especially on the "cross country worthiness" of the SB-95.

I've coveted the Yeti for awhile (good American company, great looking), but was challenged a little bit by a dealer (in a good way) as to whether the Atlas fit my style a little more.

Many thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    cant speak for Atlas but love the sb95

mtbr member
    The Atlas is too small for you, it's even smaller reach-wise than the large SB95.

mtbr member
    I agree with Collin. With the seat angle of the Atlas, and the short CS, things could get weird. I'm 6' with shoes on, and would ride a L. See if you can get on a XL.

Both are worthy bikes. Ride 'em and see which you like better. One is bound to feel or fit better.

aka bOb
    I've been pounding the numbers as well and even though I really want to like the Atlas I can't get past the seat tube angle. To me it seems like the bike would be fairly roomy seated but as soon as you stand the reach gets short and I would be right on top of the bars. What I am really hoping is Kona comes out with a carbon Process 111.

Edit: I take that back the Yeti runs the about the same seat angle but with a shorter top tube.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I didn't expect to be very impressed, but the SB95C is really an incredible bike, particularly for an all-arounder. No experience with the Atlas. Sounds like you're able to ride them both, at least in the parking lot?

Rohloff
    I've ridden the Atlas and SB95. The Atlas has a somewhat unique geometry that may or may not be good for you and I agree that a large probably isn't the right size for you. The SB95 has a solid middle of the road geometry that just works, the suspension is good, and it'll be a little bit plusher than the Atlas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Many thanks...

Regrettably, I travel around a bit, and so I don't often have the opportunity to ride before I buy. I was in the same situation when I got my last bike (2008 Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe 29er). The Fisher is getting too flexy and I'm trying to capitalize on some end of year discounts before I head to Southern Utah for some 'ride where the snow isn't' sessions in early Dec.

The weirdness of the Atlas geometry and fitting is my biggest concern. Wrench Science is the shop I'm considering and they're fairly knowledgable, but it's still a bit odd...

My biggest concern on the SB-95 is that I'll find it too heavy or cumbersome in my majority (cross-country) setting. I'll be able to pull over my Fisher's XX1 drivetrain, which will help.

Perhaps it'd be easier to just become independently wealthy...!

aka bOb
    It really sucks that they can't get these aluminum trail bikes below 7 pounds

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    It really sucks that they can't get these aluminum trail bikes below 7 pounds
    Giant seems to manage.
    You might still find a 2014 Trance 29er.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I love my SB95. It is such a well-balanced bike in terms of climbing and descending. The pedaling efficiency of the switch is amazing. I take it out on long rides (at least in for me 35-45 miles, 5-7k climbing) here in CO. After those rides I still have plenty of energy left in the tank; I am really bummed that I have to pack it up and head home. The bike is not light by any means, but it carries its weight well. I believe the weight of the version with the carbon rear is ~.75 to 1lb lighter than the all-aluminum version. Itís not the XC type, but it does ok.

I canít comment much on the Atlas as I have never ridden one. One of my buddies is about to buy one; not sure which spec, but will probably be one of the ones with 120 fork. He has taken one out for a couple demoís. The size he has been riding is a large and he is 5í11íí and it fits him perfectly. He loves it! Our riding styles are a bit different. He is more conservative and I ride a little more aggressive. My guess is the Atlas would do better in tighter spaces whereas the SB is probably a little more fun on the downhill (I think it is a blast!).

Hope that helps out. If you can demo each one, thatís what I do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I totally agree with the assessment on the SB95 above. The pedaling efficiency on the SB95 is second-to-none. Fantastic fun bike but not as light as I would like it.

Can't comment on the Atlas. No experience there...

Old and Crusty
    Nov 2010
    I'm riding a large Atlas, love it and although I haven't ever owned anything but 26" bikes previously - I say this bike is a joy to ride. I have been ancy about getting out for another ride - work just gets in my way. I'm 6'2" 205ish the Large fits me just fine. I love the climbability of the Atlas, I've tried to get the rear suspension to bob climbing out of the seat - unable to get that. This bike accelerates awesomely so much so that I've found myself hanging on for dear life - what a blast. The CTD settings on the fox shocks are awesome too - although I haven't yet been wide open yet the Trail setting is where I keep it mostly. Anyways can't comment on SB95 - because I'm riding my Atlas exclusively now. Very Happy.
    JB

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Atlas

I would go with the Devinci. Just my own bias I suppose.

mtbr member
    I've a large Atlas (it's for sale now, actually, but I'm in Europe) and at 6"2" the sizing is good for me.

Superb bike, so much fun to ride, I'm only selling because I need more travel and more aggressive geo for my riding.