Thread: spartan carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

spartan carbon

does anyone know the real weight of the spartan carbon frame?

mtbr member
    My small, with shock and rear axle was a little over 7 lbs. Maybe around 7.15 lbs if I remember correctly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That is a solid half pound heavier than they report on their website. Especially given that most would assume a manufacture uses the medium as standard for reporting weight.

Meanwhile, flipnidaho how do you like the small Spartan? How does the frame suit your height?
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    That is a solid half pound heavier than they report on their website. Especially given that most would assume a manufacture uses the medium as standard for reporting weight.

Meanwhile, flipnidaho how do you like the small Spartan? How does the frame suit your height?
    Maybe they weigh the frame without the rear axle or shock. I'm not sure. I do love the way the small rides. And for me, big bike less than 30 lbs is perfectly acceptable...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Is it standard practice to weigh with a rear axle? I can understand expecting a seat post clamp, skid plate, rear shock.

mtbr member
    No idea if it's standard practice or not. I also weighed mine with the skid plate as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yah, you offering your info and qualified it by saying what was mounted. I was more questioning whether this was truly a half pound heavier than advertised. Either way, it's not marketed as a light frame so I'm curious about the weight of mine but not too concerned.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just giving my datapoint for devinci weights, my troy was advertised at 2.76 kg. I weighed my XL at 2.91kg w/ shock, axle, lizardskinz patches, and clamp.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    ok, I weighed my newly arrived frame.

Devinci says 6.6 pounds for the spartan carbon with no details on size or what that includes.

I removed the rear axle and added the seat collar (it doesn't come installed) and my XL weighs 7.547 pounds. This does include the shock and part of the headset installed. So the XL is nearly a full pound heavier than whichever size they advertise, in whichever configuration they weigh. I'm not worried about it. I'd rather have a little more material if it means a tougher frame.

The stock XP kit wheelset, with tires, tubes, valve caps (no rotors attached) weighs 10.4 POUNDS by itself. THATS where I want to lose weight! Oh and on my waistline too!

Hans Dampf pair: 4.4196 pounds (a little over 1000 grams each)
    Tubes pair: 0.9706 pounds / 440.2563952 grams
    wheelset with regular rim strip: 5.0072 pounds / 2271.2258624 grams

I borrowed a scale from work and weighed EVERYTHING. :-)

I'm waiting for upgrade parts so if I can't ride it, I might as well nerd out while it is still in pieces.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita Handle View Post
    ok, I weighed my newly arrived frame.

Devinci says 6.6 pounds for the spartan carbon with no details on size or what that includes.

I removed the rear axle and added the seat collar (it doesn't come installed) and my XL weighs 7.547 pounds. This does include the shock and part of the headset installed. So the XL is nearly a full pound heavier than whichever size they advertise, in whichever configuration they weigh. I'm not worried about it. I'd rather have a little more material if it means a tougher frame.

The stock XP kit wheelset, with tires, tubes, valve caps (no rotors attached) weighs 10.4 POUNDS by itself. THATS where I want to lose weight! Oh and on my waistline too!

Hans Dampf pair: 4.4196 pounds (a little over 1000 grams each)
    Tubes pair: 0.9706 pounds / 440.2563952 grams
    wheelset with regular rim strip: 5.0072 pounds / 2271.2258624 grams

I borrowed a scale from work and weighed EVERYTHING. :-)

I'm waiting for upgrade parts so if I can't ride it, I might as well nerd out while it is still in pieces.
    Nice. Thanks for the taking the effort to weigh your bike for us. Been wondering how much my XL weighs. I too like the fact that this frame feels durable and very stout when riding. Probably ruffle some feathers by saying this, but anyone who's been at this long enough (especially us bigger guys) realize that all frames break eventually, however I will be suprised if I have to take up Devinci on their lifetime warranty with this one.