Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    252

    SC Bronson Aluminum R AM vs. Devinci Troy Carbon XP (2015 build)

    I have a parking lot ride on the Bronson and will take a spin on the troy shortly, so fit and feel obviously trump all else, but for a paper analysis what do you guys think?

    I will require some sort of bash protection on any bike I own, so the Bronson has a triple and I can just transfer my bash-guard on and be good to go. The Troy I would need to buy a taco/chain guide. I would swap my 30t RF NW ring onto the front of either bike so I don't care about the front shifting, but the Bronson seems like its got the better rear with the SLX vs the X7. Both have bottom end breaks though the Bronson has deore which I would consider better than the elixir 3 on the troy. The troy comes with the Pike though so that's a big win. The troy is also carbon, so there is another win. The troy is also a bit more pricy. What about the other spec's? Wheels?

    Thoughts? Opinions? Bored ramblings of bike obsessed procrastinators at work?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    470
    Wow man, this is a tough call. If I could have afforded a carbon Bronson, I might have pulled the trigger, but I couldn't. LOL So...I have a troy now.

    Unfortunately I don't have any seat time on the Bronson, because the only SC dealer near me was 2 hours away and wanted $200 to demo one for a weekend. That was their policy. Beh.

    I can tell you a few things about the troy. For one, I am running the X7 on the 30T NW and its shifting flawlessly for me at this point. I haven't found a real reason to upgrade that kit on the bike. The Elixir brakes on the bike are a downfall but I had XT's to swap on so for me that didn't matter. I've also heard that most are having success running the Elixir 3's over many other higher Elixir models for some reason. In addition to that, the new 2015 XP kits appear to be shipping with the Deore Shimano's as a switch anyway, so your concern may be washed there.

    The wheelset is heavy and not real stiff feeling, but I have beat the snot out of it so far with no issues. I plan on upgrading once I blow them up. I also put a reverb in. Sure there are some heavier parts on the bike but its stuff that can be worked up down the road.

    In addition, I have my troy down to almost 29lbs, and that Aluminum Bronson base build is heavy!

    If you haven't already, you need to read about the last 10 pages of this thread for some solid information on the troy.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-650b/201...882710-37.html

    I'm super stoked about my bike man. I just think in that range the Troy offers an extreme amount of value in the sub $3500 range. The bike has a STRONG core (carbon, pike, CTD Kash which is now the Monarch as indicated in the above thread). Those are all items that are expensive to swap out or upgrade down the road. The rest of the goods I figured I could upgrade down the road. For me, the Pike was a non negotiable and the rest fell into place. I've got less than $4K in the bike right now and she is built to shred!
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    252
    Thanks for the review, I keep waffling back and forth. Ill have to get some seat time on the troy for comparison. I have read most of that thread, at least the first and last few pages and there are a lot of good things. Some of the reviews I have found have been less than stellar though. Vital only gave it 3.5 stars. Your right though the carbon frame and pike fork are big and not things that can be easily swapped out.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    470
    First hand....the reviews are ****. Plain and simple bro. The builds that were sent out for those reviews were just silly and most folks riding them will tell you that the fit issues that were brought up don't translate. Maybe if they were as large as TREK then they could have demanded "new" reviews with different builds on the backside. LOL That being said, I have experienced a superb fit on some bikes and others that just didn't feel right at all to me.

    I'm not going to lie, the BronsonC is a sexy bike - probably one of my favs, but I just couldn't get excited about the aluminum version. This bike was a major reach for me so I needed to be in love with what I bought.

    On the pike....I just knew the second I got a bike without one, I would be obsessing over it forever, so I put it on top of the list. Being an oldschool hard tail guy, anything moving in the rear of the bike is a plus for me and I just don't dwell about that. This bike is far more efficient than my old FSR set up for sure.

    Yes, I am bored at work today. LOL
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    37
    I had the exact same dilemma when I was looking for my new bike. I was looking at the bronson, troy, and Trance. I went with the Troy as well. The two things that are the most expensive to upgrade are the frame and fork. I chose the troy for the carbon frame and pike fork. I upgraded the seat, wheels, and brakes. Like chuch said the new troy comes with shimano brakes, I went with SLX as my upgrade. I think Santa Cruz makes great bikes and I have ridden my friend's heckler but I do not have any time on a bronson. The pike is so buttery smooth. The best feature is that is has the ability to switch from full downhill mode to full climbing mode within 2 seconds. Somehow this feature is somewhat lost in the reviews but it is my favorite. I too was coming from a HT 29er which climbed really well. Some climbing ability is lost with the troy over the HT but the adjustments on the fork make it really close. The downhill with the troy over the HT is not even a comparison.

    Both bikes are going to be great options. If you can demo both then do it. I only had parking lot rides on all three bikes. Pick the one that feels best to you.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    252
    I have ridden the Bronson and Trance for parking lot rides and would go Bronson over Trance, but I need to ride the troy still. I can ride the aluminum troy this weekend, so we will have to see how that goes.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,148
    Troy has a PF BB FWIW.

    That's a deal breaker for me.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    470
    Every Santa Cruz fan chooses that as their first point. Lol. To me I could care less. I agree it's a great feature but it sure isn't keeping anyone from buying up other options.
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    37
    I have two bikes with press fit bottom brackets and haven't had any issues. My Devinci dealer is 10 mins from my house so I don't see it ever being an issue that I will have to deal with by myself.

  10. #10
    Big Test Icycles
    Reputation: Hangtime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,436

    SC Bronson Aluminum R AM vs. Devinci Troy Carbon XP (2015 build)

    The Troy comes with a lifetime warranty on the frame. That's a huge selling point. If BBs are a worry invest in a Chris King PF and grease injector and be done. Just my opinion. I rode a Troy last week and loved it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    588
    If both fit well, buy the best frame/fork you can. The parts don't matter as much, as you can replace those more easily. I'd personally go with the carbon frame and pike.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,937
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyWilliams View Post
    I have a parking lot ride on the Bronson and will take a spin on the troy shortly, so fit and feel obviously trump all else, but for a paper analysis what do you guys think?

    I will require some sort of bash protection on any bike I own, so the Bronson has a triple and I can just transfer my bash-guard on and be good to go. The Troy I would need to buy a taco/chain guide. I would swap my 30t RF NW ring onto the front of either bike so I don't care about the front shifting, but the Bronson seems like its got the better rear with the SLX vs the X7. Both have bottom end breaks though the Bronson has deore which I would consider better than the elixir 3 on the troy. The troy comes with the Pike though so that's a big win. The troy is also carbon, so there is another win. The troy is also a bit more pricy. What about the other spec's? Wheels?

    Thoughts? Opinions? Bored ramblings of bike obsessed procrastinators at work?
    I have ridden both on fairly technical mixed trails, flow-style AM kind of terrain. My overall impression between the two is that Troy is bit more plush/active throughout it's travel and feels like more than 5.5" that eats the chunk nicely. Split Pivot suspension is very Evo floater (Trek) like to me with nice bottomless feel. With that said, I thought the Bronson climbs much better and with combo of 6" travel and bigger wheels is enough to ride thru chatter decently but not as plush as the Troy. The Troy rides more like a cushy AM bike, whereas the Bronson a sporty, fast accelerating do-all trail bike. I recently bought a Bronson C as a go to trail bike, and kept my stouter built Banshee Rune for more aggro terrain (AM/FR stuff). If after absolute trail speed and efficiency for a 6" bike, the Bronson is tough to beat. I hit 41mph on flow style AM trail today with it and I feel like I can pedal to almost no end on it. An outstanding, versatile trail bike indeed, even though not the cushiest of suspension platform. Wide carbon rims help out a lot though.
    Ride On!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,742
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    I have ridden both on fairly technical mixed trails, flow-style AM kind of terrain. My overall impression between the two is that Troy is bit more plush/active throughout it's travel and feels like more than 5.5" that eats the chunk nicely. Split Pivot suspension is very Evo floater (Trek) like to me with nice bottomless feel. With that said, I thought the Bronson climbs much better and with combo of 6" travel and bigger wheels is enough to ride thru chatter decently but not as plush as the Troy. The Troy rides more like a cushy AM bike, whereas the Bronson a sporty, fast accelerating do-all trail bike. I recently bought a Bronson C as a go to trail bike, and kept my stouter built Banshee Rune for more aggro terrain (AM/FR stuff). If after absolute trail speed and efficiency for a 6" bike, the Bronson is tough to beat. I hit 41mph on flow style AM trail today with it and I feel like I can pedal to almost no end on it. An outstanding, versatile trail bike indeed, even though not the cushiest of suspension platform. Wide carbon rims help out a lot though.

    41 mph on a "flow trail"?! that's "flowing" right along , alright
    breezy shade

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,937
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    41 mph on a "flow trail"?! that's "flowing" right along , alright
    I know, it is quite a speedy trail in Bend, Oregon called "Tiddlywinks" that has tons of doubles and some gap jumps as well. A section of the Oregon Enduro series in Bend as well. I haven't ridden that trail in a year since the last race and checked the Garmin right after that section and was pretty amazed to see 41 mph since my fastest top speed on any trail was 31 mph prior since getting a Garmin a month ago, not long after I got my Bronson. I am here in Bend on vacation right now and left my glasses at home and eyeballs were bleeding in bliss last night. The Bronson is definitely a fast bike, even faster than my more aggressive stanced Banshee Rune, which I have Enduro won races on.
    Ride On!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    78
    OP said Troy is quite a bit more pricy, but it's the other way around. Carbon XP build is $3600 versus $4200ish for the cheapest Bronson C.

    Appreciate the comparison, jgusta, though it sounds like you were riding a Bronson with high end components and carbon wheels. What about the Troy you rode?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,937
    Quote Originally Posted by VQuick View Post
    OP said Troy is quite a bit more pricy, but it's the other way around. Carbon XP build is $3600 versus $4200ish for the cheapest Bronson C.

    Appreciate the comparison, jgusta, though it sounds like you were riding a Bronson with high end components and carbon wheels. What about the Troy you rode?
    Troy was the Alu XP build with Pike fork and I did rent a Alu Bronson R that was about the same weight as Troy XP and still felt the Bronson climbed and pedaled the trails some better, chunky or smooth while still descending nicely (what I was looking for in a balanced aggro trail bike). Troy XP is a great techy trail descender though and climbs good enough. I just thought the seat angle with 150 fixed fork was a little too slack for seated steep climbing for me and suspension is a lot more active (single pivot like) than dual linked type bikes such as VPP or DW.
    Ride On!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulpwoody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    428
    I have a carbon Troy and LOVE IT!!!!!!

    I wish I had a chance to ride a Bronson during my testing run, but Santa Cruz was about the only brand I didn't get a chance to ride.

    Really, I think that you'll be happy with either one, but the big factors for me, was the value of the Troy and the lifetime warranty. The lifetime warranty was HUGE. I've broken every frame I've had(minus the last frame, which got stolen) and I appreciate that warranty.

    I ride my bikes really hard, so I know I'm in good hands, AND the Devinici customer service is outstanding. These are things you'll need to consider, since you're dropping this much coin and if you plan on having a bike more that a couple of years, which I will.

    Church is right, the bike mag reviews are a starting point, if anything. Everyone raved about the Yeti SB66, but when I rode it, I didn't like it at all. When one mag rides the Troy, they don't like it, but this is the best all around bike I've ridden. It accelerates like a rocket, climbs like a cog rail car and is sharp as a whip.

    Put some trail time on both bikes and best of luck.

Similar Threads

  1. devinci troy?
    By RosedaleReaper in forum Devinci
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 03-14-2016, 05:55 AM
  2. SC Bronson vs Devinci Troy vs Pivot Mach 6
    By ccie6460 in forum Devinci
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 06-23-2014, 06:59 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-02-2014, 10:27 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2014, 08:40 AM
  5. STOLEN: Devinci Carbon Troy from Auburn
    By AuburnBikeCompany in forum Devinci
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2014, 06:31 PM

Members who have read this thread: 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •