Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    41

    Giant Trance 275 or Devinci Troy 275?

    I'm thinking the Trance or Trance SX has proven technology? The Troy looks like a nice option? Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    507
    Tough decision there. There are pages on this forum with person after person raving about both. I don't envy you there. I bought a Troy carbon and have no regrets. It climbs and descends both really well, and for the money, you can't beat the carbon frame with the XP build kit. I will say, I like that I don't see any Devinci's on my local trails as opposed to seeing 2 or 3 giants every time. Its shallow but I like having a unique bike. Good luck with your decision. You're welcome to pm me if you like. Also there's a great thread on this forum; Devinci Troy Quick Review

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: phattruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    440
    I think both are great bikes, but the Troy is a bit on the heavy side. My LBS has a large carbon XT build at 31#. I'd go with the Giant Trance as it's a bit lighter in the same build.
    The Truth will set you free.

    ....but it might offend you first!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    507
    Wow. That's surprising. Mine is 29.2 ( including pedals)with an x7 drivetrain and clunker wheels. No dropper though.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    320
    I like the trance have owned 2 of them . I ended up getting the troy with the xp build. Carbon frame with a Rock shox pike the trance at the same price just didn't do it for me. I dont think you would go wrong with either. Both great bikes

    Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    67
    Another one for the trance here. I have the sx. I feel the Deore brakes are very weak for an "enduro" build. Mine weighed in at just over 30lbs with tubes. I've been diggin the maestro design (my first maestro set frame).

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Serotta b1kr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    279
    Make sure you spend a little time on both bikes before you buy, even if it's just some parking lot time. I just took a troy out for a parking lot test and the top tube/reach felt short. The Giant on the other hand, felt to me like it has a bit of a longer tt (maybe because of the slacker seat tube angle?)

    Both the Maestro and Split Pivot suspensions work well, firm under pedaling uphill, yet are active when pointed down. I am seeing more and more Troys out here in the PNW and every rider I have talked with was super happy with their purchase.

    Get the bike that fits best and if they are both fit well, you can't go wrong with either.
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

  8. #8
    gravity fighter
    Reputation: Mikecito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    546
    PNW rider here with a Troy. I've had a Trance 26 and still have my Reign. The Troy feels like the best of both and I like the single/split pivot suspension feel a little better at my portly 240 than the maestro (especially with the Pike).
    Yes they run short, but it makes for a fun, agile bike.
    The Trance, Sight and Process are all great too. Can't go wrong with any of them really.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    113
    This is my exact dilemma. Went into my local LBS to demo the Troy but they were sold out. Demo'd the Trance1, fell in love, and left a deposit. The Trance seemed to fit me like a glove (I'm 5'6" on a medium), decent specs, and includes a dropper. The only thing that has me thinking twice about my decision is the fact that I could probably get the carbon Troy with the XP build for the same price, maybe even a tad better which includes the Pike (over the Trances Fox 32 Talas CTD Evolution) but no dropper. Just worried that the Troy will cramped which is what I've been reading based on all the reviews. This is the last bike that the wifey will let me buy for a while so I have to make this one count but I'm terrible at making decisions... Thoughts?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    507
    I wouldn't say the Troy is cramped. Cramped compared to a XC setup like I had, but trail bikes are supposed to be more upright. I'm 5'9 and change and I am really comfortable on a medium. If I wanted to go with a shorter stem(currently 50mm), I would have gone up to a large. There's quite a disparity between the bike mag review and what people that actually own them say about the sizing. No one says it's long, but it's not cramped. If you have time, you might want to look at the Devinci Troy quick review thread. It's 22 pages long. You'll find most people say it fits them well and aren't needing to upsize. The trance would be a great bike, but I'm simply saying don't discount the troy because of that one review.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    56
    I have a medium Devinci Troy Carbon w XP kit on order. I guess it's my snobby-ness that has prevented me from going to back to the big manufacturers. (Giant, Trek or Specialized) Since one of my first Trek (Fuel EX8) I've stayed small boutique brand bikes. I've owned a Turner 5 spot, Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon, and an Ibis mojo HD. I like having a unique bike. That being said my local shop (Bikeworks Albuquerque) sell both Giant and Devinci. They have plenty of Giants in stock but the troys are selling like hot cakes. They can't even keep a demo in stock. Hard to beat the value of the XP kit with a Pike. I'll keeping some bits from the HD and moving them over. Hopefully after the wheel upgrade I'll have a 26-27lb speed machine. Should help me a bit over my current 30lb HD.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by tokarsky268 View Post
    There's quite a disparity between the bike mag review and what people that actually own them say about the sizing. No one says it's long, but it's not cramped. If you have time, you might want to look at the Devinci Troy quick review thread. It's 22 pages long. You'll find most people say it fits them well and aren't needing to upsize. The trance would be a great bike, but I'm simply saying don't discount the troy because of that one review.
    Thank for the reply! I am not placing much stock on BikeMag's review. Problem is, I was able to demo the Trance 1 and absolutely loved it. Wanted to demo the Troy but there is really only 1 dealer (which happens to be my lbs) that carries them but is sold out at the moment and does not expect them back in for at least 2 -4 weeks. Normally, the Trance would've been a no-brainer but the carbon Troy with XP build has more than piqued my interest and I would like to at least give the Troy a chance. Pricing isn't a factor as my lbs is offering either bike for the same price and giving me a hell of a deal! What has me confused is that it is my understanding that the carbon Troy with XP build weighs in at 30 pounds which is a bit heavier than the Trance 1 (which is alloy)??? The pike is definitely better than the Fox 32 Talas CTD Evo. Also, am I correct to assume that because of Giant's propriety head tube design, it is more difficult to change out forks?

    Yellowmenace: I am also coming from a Tallboy which I still plan to keep. Honestly, I've never been much a fan for the big brands either but I've heard so many good things about the Trance and the Maestro suspension, it's hard not to be. And it fit me like a glove. Owning a Troy because it is less likely that I would see too many of them on the mountain is definitely a plus but I look at it more of a lack of availability. The number of Giant dealers over Devinci dealers in my area are like 10 to 1.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by w1kk3d View Post
    Thank for the reply! I am not placing much stock on BikeMag's review. Problem is, I was able to demo the Trance 1 and absolutely loved it. Wanted to demo the Troy but there is really only 1 dealer (which happens to be my lbs) that carries them but is sold out at the moment and does not expect them back in for at least 2 -4 weeks. Normally, the Trance would've been a no-brainer but the carbon Troy with XP build has more than piqued my interest and I would like to at least give the Troy a chance. Pricing isn't a factor as my lbs is offering either bike for the same price and giving me a hell of a deal! What has me confused is that it is my understanding that the carbon Troy with XP build weighs in at 30 pounds which is a bit heavier than the Trance 1 (which is alloy)??? The pike is definitely better than the Fox 32 Talas CTD Evo. Also, am I correct to assume that because of Giant's propriety head tube design, it is more difficult to change out forks?

    Yellowmenace: I am also coming from a Tallboy which I still plan to keep. Honestly, I've never been much a fan for the big brands either but I've heard so many good things about the Trance and the Maestro suspension, it's hard not to be. And it fit me like a glove. Owning a Troy because it is less likely that I would see too many of them on the mountain is definitely a plus but I look at it more of a lack of availability. The number of Giant dealers over Devinci dealers in my area are like 10 to 1.
    I definitely understand the whole availability aspect. I'm also looking at the tech aspect. It was hard for me to move from a two bar system like the DW-link and even the VPP. The Troy is a more simple Single pivot system but still developed by the suspension wiz Dave Weagle. What really sold me was the pike + Carbon + Lifetime warranty. Also I change bike like a change underwear. And the Troy I would think would have a higher resale value in the end. Giants are a dime a dozen. I typically HATE (I mean hate) to wait any time. But have been paiently waiting for a month for the green ones to be shipped to my lbs. I'll post an update when it arrives any day now.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FlavC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by w1kk3d View Post
    ...Just worried that the Troy will cramped which is what I've been reading based on all the reviews. This is the last bike that the wifey will let me buy for a while so I have to make this one count but I'm terrible at making decisions... Thoughts?
    Devinci recently updated their geometry charts on the website. I think this explains the earlier complaints and should make it easier to compare geo to the Trance you demo'd.

    I've demoed both a Trance SX and a Troy. I went with the Troy and am just waiting on parts to come in to finish my build. The Pike is also a HUGE improvement over any Fox 32.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,646
    Quote Originally Posted by FlavC View Post
    Devinci recently updated their geometry charts on the website. I think this explains the earlier complaints and should make it easier to compare geo to the Trance you demo'd.

    I've demoed both a Trance SX and a Troy. I went with the Troy and am just waiting on parts to come in to finish my build. The Pike is also a HUGE improvement over any Fox 32.
    yeah, it looks like they measured TT from a virtual SA using a setback seatpost, which is lame IMO, any virtual SA should assume a straight seatpost.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    113
    Going to try and demo the Troy this weekend if possible. I'm really diggin the Trance but having a Pike come with the Troy is definitely swaying my decision...

  17. #17
    Good, green, Oregon.
    Reputation: Giant Chachi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    789
    Another vote for the Trance here, althought the Troy looks so nice too. I have a Giant shop near by that takes excellent care of me, so it was an easy choice. But really, loving this Trance 27.5 1. It really is an amazing bike.
    *2016 Transition Patrol Carbon (aka: Sweet Pea)

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    I just got my Troy carbon XP today! Honestly mine doesn't feel all that heavy. It is a small and is probably close to 29lbs but rides like a feather weight. (On the street of course) I'll take an exact weight before I put on my I9/flow wheels, carbon bars, shimano XT brakes, lev integra seatpost, and my 1x10 drivetrain. I figure it will be good to see the difference those parts make.

    I will say, I rode a trance advanced SX and thought it rode great as well. However, I had a lot of parts already and for the price the Troy definitely won out. For what it's worth, even if they were the same, I would have went with the Troy.

    As far as sizing goes, mine fits perfect! In fact, the numbers on the site show it is a hair larger than my stumpjumper evo of the same size and it feels exactly like that. It fit me like a glove! Can't wait to hit the trails this weekend!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,646
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant Chachi View Post
    Another vote for the Trance here, althought the Troy looks so nice too. I have a Giant shop near by that takes excellent care of me, so it was an easy choice. But really, loving this Trance 27.5 1. It really is an amazing bike.
    like others, I'm liking the Troy XP build for the Pike fork, and am leery of the Talas CTD Evo that the Trance 1 comes with (I don't use lockout and much prefer a good compression damper).

    GC - what's your feedback of the fork so far?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: QuikLikeABunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by w1kk3d View Post
    What has me confused is that it is my understanding that the carbon Troy with XP build weighs in at 30 pounds which is a bit heavier than the Trance 1 (which is alloy)???
    I was right at 29 all stock on a Medium. Was pretty easy to get to what you see below. I had set up stock wheelset tubeless and i9's took a pound off of that. Race Face Next SL 1X should come close to offsetting the switch from stock seatpost to a dropper. Edit: image quality took a hell of hit for upload.....26lbs 5oz.


  21. #21
    hot arse Florida
    Reputation: Karma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    48
    I'm looking at renting one of these 2 bikes, sight unseen in Moab. What does everyone think about sizing on these, I'm just at 6' 173lbs.
    Which one would you choose and what size do you think i would need? The bike shop recommends a Large in both. Appreciate any help.

  22. #22
    gravity fighter
    Reputation: Mikecito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    546
    Large on the Troy should be perfect for you unless you have weird proportions.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    470
    Well, I'd say go with a Large Troy because its bad ass and its something different. Do you want to ride a bike made by the largest bike company in the world or a boutique brand who will answer your calls when you call the office...and then send you Tshirts and stickers. LOL

    All kidding, both great bikes man, but I'm in love with my Troy right now. My riding buddy has a built trance so I have spent some time on it....but he still drools at the sight of my Carbon XP. I catch him all the time.
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  24. #24
    hot arse Florida
    Reputation: Karma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    48
    Haha... was leaning the Troy only because of the TT being a little shorter and something different. Being from Florida, both bikes are a little more travel than we might need over here. Seems like I'm at the very top end of a M on the Giant, the L might be to long for me.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Well, I'd say go with a Large Troy because its bad ass and its something different. Do you want to ride a bike made by the largest bike company in the world or a boutique brand who will answer your calls when you call the office...and then send you Tshirts and stickers. LOL

    All kidding, both great bikes man, but I'm in love with my Troy right now. My riding buddy has a built trance so I have spent some time on it....but he still drools at the sight of my Carbon XP. I catch him all the time.
    Man, they're sending you T shirts! I looked online to find Devinci gear, but came up short. Apparently they just get given away for free.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chuch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    470
    I cant give away my secrets man. LOL Should I post a pic of one so you can get real jealous? LOL You can bet I rubbed in my buddies' faces a bit when that package arrived. To be honest, I am not expecting ANYTHING for free, but I was expecting this type of service (taking a phone call from me to help with an issue) from them after hearing raving reviews from at least two dealers. They've delivered thus far.
    2017 Stumpy 29 FSR Carbon/2016 YT Capra Al

  27. #27
    gravity fighter
    Reputation: Mikecito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    I'm looking at renting one of these 2 bikes, sight unseen in Moab. What does everyone think about sizing on these, I'm just at 6' 173lbs.
    Which one would you choose and what size do you think i would need? The bike shop recommends a Large in both. Appreciate any help.
    Do you have to pick one before you get there and test ride it? If so, that's kind of a drag. Anywhere close to you to try one out first?
    I'm not a fan of bike shop tire kicking, but I sure wouldn't want to commit to a bike blind for an epic place like Moab.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulpwoody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    428
    So Roco....
    did you make a decision?

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    215
    I was looking at the Troy as well and went with the Trance Advanced SX myself. Mostly because I know the boys at that shop more, wanted to support them, and they offered a payment plan. But also because I liked the build and love the stealth black look, more discreet. Looked at quite a few other bikes but for me it ended up boiling down to either the Bronson Carbon X01 or the Trance Advanced SX. If I stuck to my original budget, I would have gone with the Troy, better value and in the right places. The Fox 32 on the Trance 1 and the Evolution 34 on the Trance SX were the major deal breakers, but honestly, the Silver or Gold paint jobs were just not my flavour. I vote Troy unless you have the budget for an Advanced SX, T275 Carbon, Knolly Warden, Tracer 275, Bronson SPX or higher, Pivot Mach 6, SB66...so many great bikes but at closer to the $3000 mark, the Troy seems like the best buy. Especially since it comes with a Lifetime Warranty and the Alu. bikes are made in CANADA.

Similar Threads

  1. 2014 Devinci Troy quick review
    By Carraig042 in forum 27.5
    Replies: 1574
    Last Post: 4 Weeks Ago, 11:36 PM
  2. New Devinci Troy - Bike Pics
    By GFreak in forum 27.5
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 08-21-2016, 05:24 PM
  3. devinci troy?
    By RosedaleReaper in forum Devinci
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 03-14-2016, 05:55 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2013, 10:02 AM
  5. 2011 Giant Anthem x2, Giant Trance x2 or Scott Spark 50?
    By dk13 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 03:13 PM

Members who have read this thread: 8

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •