Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    258

    Evil uprising, ibis hdr/slr, devinci spartan

    Hey guys,

    Currently riding a knolly chilcotin.

    Looking at possibly another bike in the stable. I got my chilcotin built bit too heavy. It's got a 180mm up front. But I want to keep it like that.

    Looking for something faster? Don't want to sacrifice going down too much.

    Short list:
    - evil uprising. Fantastic reviews. Not so sure about the rear tire clearance issue though
    - ibis hdr/slr? Maybe even wait for the new prototype?
    - devinci spartan? Perhaps too heavy and similar to chilcotin?

    What do you guys think? Anybody ridden any of the above to give a comparo?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    591
    I would wait for the new 650b to get announced, if only for the prices on HDs to drop

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,423
    Some thoughts on geometry for these very different bikes... these are tendencies that I observe from the published geometry numbers. Not the same as first hand experience but hopefully helpful.

    Mojo HDR with 26in wheels and 160 fork. (lots of other options on HDR setup and you also mention the SL-R which is different again).

    Mojo... high BB, short reach, low stack (lowest in shorter travel option)
    Evil... low BB, medium reach (with M/L size option for more reach with medium leg length), low stack (150 fork helps)
    Spartan low BB, long reach, inevitably higher stack with the 650B wheels and 160 fork.

    For me, I have a strong preference around BB height, reach and stack, so these are the comparators that I look at.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    580
    The Evil and the (Alu) Spartan are also significantly heavier frames.

    ~7lbs for the Evil I believe, 8lbs for Alu Spartan, 6.15lbs for carbon Spartan, 6.2lbs for HDR, and 5.2lbs for the SLR.

    Personally, I'd wait and see more about this proto Ibis as it might have the performance of the HDR (or better) with a weight closer to the SLR.

  5. #5
    Rb
    Rb is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,630
    You are basically choosing between 3 completely different bikes.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wilks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,255
    Tom - I would be looking at something 27.5 and in the 140mm travel range so you get some separation. I think the Yeti SB5c looks intriguing. Slack ish head angle and light. Devinci Troy carbon, even a SC Bronson. Spartan too much like a Chilcotin. HDR should be replaced soon with what looks to be a really killer bike. I love my HD but it's close to the chilcotin too. New proto will have bigger wheels, longer reach and be lighter. My XX1 HD with Bos Deville, wtb i23 rims / Hans dampfs and carbon bars is 29.5 lbs. A Bronson or SB5c or T275 could be built to 27lbs pretty easily. All have the same or slacker head angle as a chilcotin with 160mm fork in the steep setting but would be lighter.

  7. #7
    Weapon of Choice
    Reputation: Iceman69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    785
    For what its worth I have my HDr set up with 180 Degree Marzocchi rc3 ti fork, angleset and Xfusion rear shock hlr. Its pretty light as far as I can tell and easy to throw around; it climbs like a bat out of hell, shreds everything going down. I have no reason to spend big bucks for bigger wheels, at least for now. All these bikes are great so best to go out and test ride what you can, buy what feels right for you.

    Super Unknown

  8. #8
    EMR
    EMR is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    52
    I rode a chilcotin all last year and switched to a hdr this year... Switched most of the parts over, both in 26, both large, chil with 40mm stem, hdr 65mm stem, ccdba on chil, fox ctd and ccdbacs on the hdr, chil had carbon havoc cut to 730, hdr has enve dh cut to 740.

    Both great bikes. I live in NH, so I ride a variety of New England single track. If I only had one bike it would probably be the chil... So magical on the decent and will make it to the top without too much effort. I have a 303 for park/DH and originally thought the chil would be used more in this area, but I always grabbed the 303.

    They are both AM bikes, but play on different ends... The chil was too much bike for my type of trail riding.

    Descending... Chil no question. The hdr is good, but as stated, the chil is magical
    Climbing... Tie, but for different reasons... Technical climbing the chil is a goat, hdr can hang, but just not the same. Hdr is better at switch backs and "normal" climbing trails.
    Pedaling... Hdr
    Suspension... Tie, both awesome, just different
    Geometry... The hdr fits me better... I could never really get the chil to fit, I also had a medium first... This new school geometry is the real marketing gimmick in my mind. It makes the bike stable, but I can almost guarantee we will head back to the "old school" in a few years, not all the way, but we'll meet in the middle... Long reach plus, steep seat tubes and slack head angles, make long wheel bases... The hdr is so quick compared to the chil... Not sketchy, quick. I don't need a bike with a longer wheel base than my downhill bike (Just see too many new bikes with huge wheelbases, there is a downside to this movement, I'm not racing, so that plays a factor... Rant over).
    Bb height is the same on both bikes, but the hdr does ride higher in its travel.

    I love all types of riding and the hdr is super versatile. I may try the 650 mode in the future as I only drop **** in the 4-6ft range on this bike. Turn my lyrix into 170 with the ccdbacs and have a 650b with 140 pike and inline would be a sick combo with the 303 for the dirty work.

    At the end of the day, they both brought smiles to my face.

  9. #9
    EMR
    EMR is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    52
    Oh, I dropped two pounds when switching frames. Chil was 32, hdr is 30... Bathroom scale accuracy.

    Ibis is great, but the Ripley took forever to be released... The new proto may not be available for a few months.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman69 View Post
    For what its worth I have my HDr set up with 180 Degree Marzocchi rc3 ti fork, angleset and Xfusion rear shock hlr. Its pretty light as far as I can tell and easy to throw around; it climbs like a bat out of hell, shreds everything going down. I have no reason to spend big bucks for bigger wheels, at least for now. All these bikes are great so best to go out and test ride what you can, buy what feels right for you.
    Sounds like a beast. Do you mind if I ask the weight?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Tom - I would be looking at something 27.5 and in the 140mm travel range so you get some separation. I think the Yeti SB5c looks intriguing. Slack ish head angle and light. Devinci Troy carbon, even a SC Bronson. Spartan too much like a Chilcotin. HDR should be replaced soon with what looks to be a really killer bike. I love my HD but it's close to the chilcotin too. New proto will have bigger wheels, longer reach and be lighter. My XX1 HD with Bos Deville, wtb i23 rims / Hans dampfs and carbon bars is 29.5 lbs. A Bronson or SB5c or T275 could be built to 27lbs pretty easily. All have the same or slacker head angle as a chilcotin with 160mm fork in the steep setting but would be lighter.
    Interesting. I haven't seen anything on the sb5c. I'll look it up.

    Think you're right about the spartan though. Bit too heavy duty.

    Any thoughts on the uprising? It's probably one of the bikes that from what i've read has such a high rating. I'm super curious about it. Also cause I have wheels/fork which I can swap over from other bikes.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by EMR View Post
    I rode a chilcotin all last year and switched to a hdr this year... Switched most of the parts over, both in 26, both large, chil with 40mm stem, hdr 65mm stem, ccdba on chil, fox ctd and ccdbacs on the hdr, chil had carbon havoc cut to 730, hdr has enve dh cut to 740.

    Both great bikes. I live in NH, so I ride a variety of New England single track. If I only had one bike it would probably be the chil... So magical on the decent and will make it to the top without too much effort. I have a 303 for park/DH and originally thought the chil would be used more in this area, but I always grabbed the 303.

    They are both AM bikes, but play on different ends... The chil was too much bike for my type of trail riding.

    Descending... Chil no question. The hdr is good, but as stated, the chil is magical
    Climbing... Tie, but for different reasons... Technical climbing the chil is a goat, hdr can hang, but just not the same. Hdr is better at switch backs and "normal" climbing trails.
    Pedaling... Hdr
    Suspension... Tie, both awesome, just different
    Geometry... The hdr fits me better... I could never really get the chil to fit, I also had a medium first... This new school geometry is the real marketing gimmick in my mind. It makes the bike stable, but I can almost guarantee we will head back to the "old school" in a few years, not all the way, but we'll meet in the middle... Long reach plus, steep seat tubes and slack head angles, make long wheel bases... The hdr is so quick compared to the chil... Not sketchy, quick. I don't need a bike with a longer wheel base than my downhill bike (Just see too many new bikes with huge wheelbases, there is a downside to this movement, I'm not racing, so that plays a factor... Rant over).
    Bb height is the same on both bikes, but the hdr does ride higher in its travel.

    I love all types of riding and the hdr is super versatile. I may try the 650 mode in the future as I only drop **** in the 4-6ft range on this bike. Turn my lyrix into 170 with the ccdbacs and have a 650b with 140 pike and inline would be a sick combo with the 303 for the dirty work.

    At the end of the day, they both brought smiles to my face.
    Great review. That actually helps a lot. Thanks for that!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wilks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,255

    Evil uprising, ibis hdr/slr, devinci spartan

    Pinkbike reviewed SB5c the other day and bike magazine also in their latest print issue. The uprising is quite portly and doesn't have the trendy wheel size but reviews are solid except for the limited tire clearance as you mention.

  14. #14
    Weapon of Choice
    Reputation: Iceman69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    785
    I will try to get actual weight next time at the lbs but my guess would be 30 lbs

    Super Unknown

Similar Threads

  1. Evil Uprising - review
    By Dude! in forum Evil Bikes
    Replies: 1915
    Last Post: 10-08-2017, 08:44 PM
  2. Evil Uprising Tire Thread
    By Calhoun in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-31-2015, 08:02 PM
  3. Evil Uprising - Review - Europe.
    By Stylomat in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 09-19-2014, 12:47 PM
  4. Evil Uprising Shock Settings...
    By woodyak in forum Evil Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 11:42 AM
  5. evil uprising
    By 'size in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-29-2013, 06:51 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •