CDC
    CDC
    Jul 2006

Devinci Troy RC or Stumpjumper FSR

I'm stuck on the big decision. Can't decide between the Devinci Troy RC or the Stumpjumper Carbon (large frame size). Test rode both bikes and they are pretty awesome and each bike has attributes that are slightly different. Riding typical New England terrain. Having a hard time making the final decision. Any thoughts? Both run the Pike fork but don't know much about the Devinci's rear monarch shock RT3 pr the Jalco rims ( roval traverse on the stumpy)

Need some input. Thanks

mtbr member
    The Monarch is a good shock and is better than the Fox IMO. The Jalco wheels are solid, but just on the heavier side of things. I have the Troy and love it, go with the one feels better for you!

- Brett
    Visit my Youtube channel for lots of DH and XC videos!
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

mtbr member
    Troy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Troy. Easy decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDC
    CDC
    Jul 2006
    What do you think of the Sram GuideR brakes compared to the stumpy (i think XT)? trying to figure out the build specs. Thanks for the input

mtbr member
    The guides have had very positive reviews thus far. I have not used them personally as I am partial to Hope brakes.

-Brett
    Visit my Youtube channel for lots of DH and XC videos!
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon
    2011 Spec Demo 8
    GoPro HD Hero

CDC
    CDC
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the input. Going to check out the Troy RC this weekend. SLX all around. ..DTswiss 1900 wheels...looks pretty nice. Gonna test tide the stumpy as well ...same day. Should be a good comparison!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I test rode the 2014 Troy XP and it was an awesome bike. However the new 2016 stumpy looks pretty sweet. The roval rims are wider and will give better support for wide tires. The Horst-Link suspension on the stumpy is a true 4-bar and a superior design compared to the single-pivot (split-pivot) on the troy. The stumpy also has 10mm more travel. However, as others mentioned, test ride both and buy the one that feels better!

mtbr member
    Troy, I am being very biased since I own one. Best bike I have owned.
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon

CDC
    CDC
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for all the info. The Troy was a super nice ride, however was a little bummed to see no dropper post on the carbon RC. Seems like for the money that it should be included. The stumpjumper was good however my left foot would hit the rear seat stay every no and then, felt like that rear was a little wider than the troy. The stumpjumper has either super $$ 6k version or the more budget $3800 version. Nothing in between for direct price comparison. Each rode the trails similarly but I felt that I could flick the Troy easier. Some fun test rides! not a bad way to spend the weekend

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDC View Post
    Thanks for all the info. The Troy was a super nice ride, however was a little bummed to see no dropper post on the carbon RC. Seems like for the money that it should be included. The stumpjumper was good however my left foot would hit the rear seat stay every no and then, felt like that rear was a little wider than the troy. The stumpjumper has either super $$ 6k version or the more budget $3800 version. Nothing in between for direct price comparison. Each rode the trails similarly but I felt that I could flick the Troy easier. Some fun test rides! not a bad way to spend the weekend
    Dropper posts are a dime a dozen these days. I just sold the old one off of my Troy for $175!!!! Jeeze. Out of all the bikes I rode, and I rode lots of them, this bike was the best for a couple of reasons. One, it climbed incredibly well. Two, the suspension was dead simple and three, lifetime warranty. Actually, there more reason than that, but that's a good start.

check this out:
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon XP NIB w/PIKE - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    Having ridden both as well, and my shop sells both... my 2 cents.

The Troy has 430mm chain stays vs 420mm stumpy jumper stays. This made the Stumpy feel alot more poppy and playful vs the Troy being a little more business-like on the descents. I appreciated the new school cockpit of the stumpy, but they were similar in this way. I think the build kit is nicer on the stumpy. I like having a command post on my enduro vs the reverb. The CP IR is smooth and very low maintenance vs the fact I had like 4 reverbs in one year alone! Overall, I just preferred the way the Stumpy felt.

on to the specs:

Forks: Both Pike RC's depending on which model you get. So awesome.

Shocks: I would much rather the Monarch on the Troy... I am not a Float fan, but the Fox Float felt pretty good on the Stumpy.

Drive Train: You are jammed with a 2x10 SLX drivetrain on the troy until you you spend $5700+ where as you get X1 at $4300 on the elite stumpy. Even on the lower models you get an X9 drivetrain which is better suited to 42t cog conversions.

Brakes: Deore or Guide on both... cant go wrong.

Customer Service: Both are good, but Specialized will be easier to deal with and have frame parts for a longer amount of time. Both have life time warranties on at least the front triangle.

It is really up to you... both are sweet.
    2016 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2016 Specialized Fat Boy Trail

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Carraig042 View Post
    The guides have had very positive reviews thus far. I have not used them personally as I am partial to Hope brakes.

-Brett
    I have Guide R's on my Enduro... they are like having Shimano brakes with more modulation. I am sold.
    2016 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2016 Specialized Fat Boy Trail

CDC
    CDC
    Jul 2006
    Update: I ended up with 2015 Devinci Troy. They dealer rep was dropping some prices to make room for the new 2016 which will be released soon. I rode both the Stumpy and the Troy on the same trails and the Troy was better on the bermed out sections, downhills and lifting it off anything. The stumpy was better up the hills (more fine tuned rear end suspension). But at the end of the day, the stumpy was 3800 and had a Revelation front fork and std Fox rear shock. For only 300 more i was able to nab the Troy with the Pike and the monarch. Full SLX drivetrain and brakes as well. Good deals...but better riding. Happy to be on a new bike. The stumpy is a great ride, but the troy packed some serious smiles for the buck. Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDC View Post
    Update: I ended up with 2015 Devinci Troy. They dealer rep was dropping some prices to make room for the new 2016 which will be released soon. I rode both the Stumpy and the Troy on the same trails and the Troy was better on the bermed out sections, downhills and lifting it off anything. The stumpy was better up the hills (more fine tuned rear end suspension). But at the end of the day, the stumpy was 3800 and had a Revelation front fork and std Fox rear shock. For only 300 more i was able to nab the Troy with the Pike and the monarch. Full SLX drivetrain and brakes as well. Good deals...but better riding. Happy to be on a new bike. The stumpy is a great ride, but the troy packed some serious smiles for the buck. Happy riding!

good pick. I would have went the same way. The only thing I wish you could get on the Devinci's is a Solo air pike instead of the Dual air.
    Too Many .