I am a Nomad

Devinci Spartan carbon RS vs. Turner RFX V4 GX build???

I know it's another vs. thread, and opinions will be biased, but I am looking for a new 650B bike for the upcoming season, and I have narrowed it (for now) to these two bikes.
    I am avid rider, intermediate to advanced skills and riding aggressively mostly single-track trails with limestone rocks (embedded and loose), roots, drops, step-downs, etc. Also looking to do the odd enduro event, but mostly weekend warrior.
    I like charging over everything and don't care, mostly about line selection, sort of speak. Weight fully kitted is about 200-210lbs.
    Builds are quite similar and so is price.
    So for this type of riding which of these two bike would you choose and why?

DEVINCI
    OR
    http://turnerbikes.com/bike/models/turner/rfx-v4-0

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

~~~~~~~~
    Few Spartans around here, still waiting for a friends RFX to appear. At your weight the lower leverage ratio of the Spartan is something to consider. Also Devinci warranty. I feel like the Spartan is under forked with the Pike. Seat tube on the Spartan is also more forward than Turners. I like to compare wheelbase lengths so keep in mind the seat tube position shortens up the Spartan cockpit. Suspension performance is quite different between the two bikes, not only due to shock size/leverage ratio but also in regards to pedal feedback/chain growth.

Parts spec wise there are a few differences, some personal preference, RC vs RCT3 pike, HR2's vs. Nobby nics, not sure what those DT 483 rims are, 481's have a 30 mm inner, those DT 1900's are 20mm, doesn't seem like a good match for a modern 6 inch travel bike.

I am a Nomad
    Thanks for the suggestions airwreck. Keep'em coming.
    DT Swiss 483d rims are 22.5 internal 27.5mm external diameter. I thought initially that they were OEM versions of the XM481 but no, they are completely different.
    Thinking that I may have to go to size XL for the Spartan to have good reach, since it is quite short...
    My previous Specialized Enduro 650B had 443 reach in Large and Spartan 432mm hmmm...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Have you test ridden? I felt good on a L Spartan and typically ride L bikes.

Can't help you much with choice. I demo'd the Spartan and loved it (ended up with a Troy - didn't need the Spartan travel). I was impressed with it's climbing ability and that's coming off of a Mach 429. The RFX gets pretty great reviews though.

Price wise, the Devinci seems to get the nod. Yes they are "similar" but we're still talking almost $600. I'd be building a different wheelset on either of them and that difference would be enough to pay for it.

~~~~~~~~
    Check those wheelbases before upsizing, some people are appreciating long but I've tried and upsized Spartan and I rather keep mine "playful". Also still ride my 26" dh bike so want to keep fit and handling between the two bikes similar. I will admit that Devinci could have done a better job with the seat tube placement but those are the compromises of trying to fit bigger wheels, more travel, short stays etc. The more upright position (climbing) is fine with me, not looking for that stretched out road bike feel. Also people are calling the rfx short too. My crew will be have a nice sampling of the current crop of cool bikes, Spartans, Evils, RFX etc. and I'm sure some swapping will be happening.

Justin Vander Pol
    I love my Spartan, but hard to compare bikes without a test ride. I personally like FSR/Horst or split pivot better than mini link like DW or VPP, but that's just a personal preference thing, partly due to shorter chain stays. I like the stiffness, low maintenance and simple/consistent feel and it doesn't bottom out too much at 30% sag. Less aggressive riders might not use all their travel. It also feels playful and I can manual over rocks/roots/sticks nicely. With a lightish wheel set this thing is awesome on tough tech climbs and long grinds. It's a fun bike.

At 6'2" I feel good on large spartan, but once again personal pref as I don't like long bikes.

Downsides are press fit BB which is stupid, and I'm no fan of internal cable routing. Paint also scratches easy on the carbon, so tape it up with protector film. These complaints are common to many carbon bikes.

I agree with airwreck that Pike is less capable than this frame, 36 steps it up a notch. I was surprised how much I like the Monarch shock, it's really quite impressive.