Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

devinci dixon

80K views 184 replies 58 participants last post by  ChaseMe 
#1 ·
does anyone have one or test it?

I?m really interested in buying one, but I have no feedback from some one that as allready ride it.

Thanks

#82 ·
Hey all, what sort of rear sag are you running on your dixon? I'm running 26-275% which is about 20psi below my riding weight. I never use full travel but at the same time I don't feel like it's ramping up nicely on bigger hits. I was considering trying a monarch or vivid btw, right I have the RP23 kashima.

#83 ·
That's pretty much what I ride, maybe a little more sag, like 27.5-30%. I have an RP2 and I also set it pretty close to 20 psi below my riding weight. I don't do big drops or jumps however.

I find it's really sensitive when you get close to that sweet spot.

#85 ·
Went to the Outerbike event in Moab and sampled a Dixon Carbon SL and I must say it was my favorite bike of the 11 I rode, with the Santa Cruz Blur TRc and Mach 4 also top bikes (also rode the Ibis Mojo HD, SL-R, Mach 5.7, Firebird, Nomad, Tracer 275, Jekyll, and Trance X 29er).

I just happened to ride the Dixon as my first bike on friday and loved it instantly, it's just a real "playful" and fun bike to ride in that kind of terrain. I was manualing that bike over everything. Really seems to reward aggressive riding. And just to make sure that my first test impression wasn't biased due to being fresh, I rode it again Sunday and still loved the thing.

My only gripe was the Fox 32 CTD fork is mediocre, and the tire rubs on the chainstay during hard cornering or climbing (Hans Dampf 2.3).

I'm seriously considering this as my next bike, although lack of dealers around here is also a problem...

#86 ·
Went to the Outerbike event in Moab and sampled a Dixon Carbon SL and I must say it was my favorite bike of the 11 I rode, with the Santa Cruz Blur TRc and Mach 4 also top bikes (also rode the Ibis Mojo HD, SL-R, Mach 5.7, Firebird, Nomad, Tracer 275, Jekyll, and Trance X 29er).

I just happened to ride the Dixon as my first bike on friday and loved it instantly, it's just a real "playful" and fun bike to ride in that kind of terrain. I was manualing that bike over everything. Really seems to reward aggressive riding. And just to make sure that my first test impression wasn't biased due to being fresh, I rode it again Sunday and still loved the thing.

My only gripe was the Fox 32 CTD fork is mediocre, and the tire rubs on the chainstay during hard cornering or climbing (Hans Dampf 2.3).

I'm seriously considering this as my next bike, although lack of dealers around here is also a problem...
Impressive considering some of the other bike you rode. Love the Dixon but won't consider it now until Devinci makes it a 650B. Then we will see. Same with the Pivot 5.7 which I kind of lust for but only in 650B if/when.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the other bikes you rode and how they rate/ride or did you post in individual forums?

#88 ·
Excellent, thanks for those quick reviews. BTW I've badgered Devinci to build a 650B Dixon. I hope they do.

Sounds like we like similar conditions (I'm a long time enduro/trail guy in rock infested New England) and I think 150mm is the max I would go for an all day do it all bike. Hell, I have guys smoking me on 100mm hardtails...in the rocks no less. Arrrggg!

Sounds like you really need to retest a properly set up 5.7C as soooo many rave about that bike
Retest a Mojo HD in 140 mode (converts to 650B in that state) and you might like it better?
Test a Carbine 275 for sure. Fantastic reviews so far. Your thoughts are what I imagined for the Tracer 275
2013 Rocky Altitude. LOVE LOVE LOVE this bike on paper and can't wait to try. You should check out one of those also. 150mm travel
2013 Norco Sight. Awesome bike comes in 26" and 650B versions. 140mm travel

#89 ·
Mark recommended I try the Mojo HD in the 140 setting and I am planning on doing this soon. I do like the idea of being able to run it that way and having a 160mm setup if I do a shuttle ride or something.

Couldn't get on a Carbine although it was on my list. Going to demo a RM Altitude in a couple weeks as they are going to be in Prescott with the demo rigs. Also haven't had a chance to ride a Norco but I would certainly give one of those a shot.

#91 ·
You could probably fit on one or the other depending on you riding position preference.

Personally, I'm 5'10" and got a large frame. The extra inch on the top tube was the main factor in my decision. I wanted to be able to ride the bike with a 50 to 70mm stem without feeling too cramped. I find the longer wheel base also provides a bit of extra stability which I like.

#97 ·
I am also planning to drop the Float from 160 to 150. :)
Right on. I think you will find the bike very balanced with the Float36 set to 150mm. I also have a Dixon and SB66. They are both fantastic bikes, but quite different. The longer TT (for a given size) is nice on the Yeti and allows a shorter stem without going up a frame size larger than I would normally use. The Yeti also pedals noticeably better, but the Dixon is a bit more progressive and as mentioned, a bit lighter. The weight of the SB has never been an issue as the suspension works so efficiently and I'm still on original bearings at just under a year of use. Enjoy the Dixon, it's a great bike!

#98 ·
I finally rode the bike today. I enjoyed it but I thought the ride was a bit harsh. Certainly some suspension tune-up to do. However I was wondering what shock do you use on your Dixon? I had a RS Monarch RC3 and thought it was really smooth on the Canfield One. The eye-to-eye is not the same so I cannot transfer the shock but would consider getting one to replace the RP2 XV. Any thoughts?

#101 ·
If I'm not mistaken, only read this and not experienced, the ride of the Dixon is not set up to be butter-smooth. It's more of an efficiant setup, and might be why you feel it abit harsh. Your weight also should be considered. For me I think it's going to feel more smooth, but I'm over 200lbs.
I'd consider getting the RP2 PUSHed to your liking. Sould be a better investment than a new shock.
If you want to try the RS, the suspension tune for your CF probably wont be the same as the Dixon. Check what tune (A-E) you have on your Monarch, and check with Devinci to see how it would fit. They use Monarch on 2013 Carbon frames. Here is a chart over the different Monarch tunes: https://foto.mtb-forum.it/data//950/tune.jpg
You'd probably need new mounting hardware as well.

#104 ·
Careful with the Monarch tune even with what Devinci recommends. I'm on the learning curve here with this shock which is on my 2011 Jamis Dakar B2. I have the MM tune, weigh 185lbs geared up and cannot get full travel from the shock even with 40% sag. I've lowered the internal IFP pressure to 200psi (200-300 per RS) and it rides better but still can't get the last 10mm of shock stroke. If you do a search you'll find plenty of talk about the firm setting of these shocks. A guy who has lots of experience with these told me he always orders the Monarch in a low tune and works from there. Not sure how this relates to the Monarch Plus or Vivid Air but food for thought.

Dixon is a good efficient pedlar with other good #'s. Where's the 650B version?

Scroll to the bottom of this link for the Dixon linkagedesign.blogspot.com.es/2010_08_01_archive.html - Translator

#105 ·
I purchased my Dixon from a Devinci employee. He was using a Monarch RT3 but he sold the bike with the stock RP2. When I inquired about the RT3 tuning, after my previous post, he told me it should be LL therefore low rebound and low compression tune. I checked the web and pictures of the new 2013 Carbon Dixon where the shock is visible seem to confirm the LL tune as the default.

I have asked to purchased a Monarch RT3 in LL tune but my bike shop could not order one. They all seem to come in MM tune at the moment, at least in Canada from either Norco or Lambert. Therefore it would be an extra to have it modified for LL tune.

I guess I'll stick with the RP2 until I can find a used RT3 already LL tuned.

#106 ·
Not sure you can even order a LL tune Monarch. They usually come LM (low compression, medium rebound). LL would seem to make some sense though since the other thing people have complained about the Monarch is the rebound being to slow even at the fastest setting.

Would love to hear how the 2013 Dixon rides with that LL shock tune. Bet it's sweet.

#107 ·
Now according to that chart above my Jamis Dakar which has a rising rate design with a 200 x 50 shock and a leverage ratio of 2.56 (Jamis calls it 2.6) it would clearly fall in the "B" tune area. I presume that's M and what's on the bike now. To stiff IMO. Needs a LL or LM. I'd happily take a LL and since the bike is still under warranty and I've already had a bunch of discussions with Jamis about the issue I may ask for this. The chart makes no mention of a rebound setting either. Other riders with the same bike as mine have experienced the same travel issue including 1 test reviewer who was jumping the bike 3' to flat with 30% sag and couldn't get full travel. Jamis sent him a Fox shock.

#108 ·
What size rear tyre are most people using on this bike? I have a 2012 Dixon RC and the stock Kenda Nevegal 2.35 buzzes the stays when cornering. I trial fitted a Nobby Nic 2.35 which is an even tighter fit.
Looks like I'll need to fit a 2.25 to get enough clearance, which seems a little wrong on a bike like this.

So what size rear are you running, and does it rub on the stays?

#111 ·
Anyone out there resprayed their Dixon? My 2011 Dixon's paint is looking worse for wear and is really the only poor part of this bike. I did want to just strip the paint and make it a "Raw" finish but apparently Devinci don't recommend this as the aluminium will corrode?

So anyone out there have a custom colour?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.