Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

devinci dixon

80K views 184 replies 58 participants last post by  ChaseMe 
#1 ·
does anyone have one or test it?

I?m really interested in buying one, but I have no feedback from some one that as allready ride it.

Thanks

#2 ·
Just got one

I just got one but have only had a short (20min) ride, so I can't say much yet. I was impressed by how well it climbed, and it seemed to feel good. Now, full disclosure: I am coming from a completely rigid bike, and have not been biking for a number of years, so I have no experience with full suspension.

I also had trouble finding any reviews or anything, but the best I have found is this one:
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-devinci-dixon-sl-bike-11-40503/

Hope it helps!

#3 ·
Thanks a lot

I'm buying a dixon to replace my morewood mbuzi, that is a real great bike, but not the best climber in the world, but I steal want a bike that descends really well, because I'm doing mega avalanche this year...so I need a bike with good suspension and decent angles...

yeah I've read the review in bike radar, but says nothing special, and they say that the one test was a production model, and they say that there was thing they wold change in the prodution bike.

#4 · (Edited)
Found another review, buts its in Italian, so you need to translate it...

http://www.tri-ride.net/tests/tests-bikes/devinci-dixon-2011-tested/

As for me, I took mine for a ride, and I like it. As I said before, it seems to climb well, although I will lower my stem a bit, as the front end was lifting at times. I also have it set on the LO setting, so I am going to try the HI and see how much that changes things.

EDIT: I can't tell exactly what this Tri-Ride site is, so not sure how trustworthy their review is...

#7 ·
Sorry for the delay, but I had parts being held up in the mail and I only managed to get everything installed today. The bike rides great around the park, but i'll only know how well it works in the trails tomorrow. Some of the parts are transferred from my previous bike, a 5spot, but most parts ended up being new despite me wanting a budget build..oh well, it's all for the better.

Frame: Dixon RC Medium size (18inch I think)
Fork: 2010 Rockshox Revelation team 150mm dual air tapered steerer.
Shock : RP23 with boost valve (came with the bike..probably will ditch it soon once I get my hands on an Xfusion shock)
Headset: FSA (Came with the frame)
Stem : Point One Racing 70mm.
Handlebar : Syntace Vector Carbon 680mm 12degree sweep (love this bar!!)
Grips: ESI chunky grip
Shifters : M970 XTR rear, mated to the M988 brakes via the I-spec mount.
Brakes : M988 XTR trail brake levers maded to M775 XT brake calipers, goodridge hoses. (XT calipers from previous bike, but the XT levers were abit corroded so I swapped them).
Brake Rotors : BRAKING, 180mm fr/ 160mm rr.
Rear Derailleur : Saint M810 Midcage
Front chainguide : Ethirteen XCX-ST.
Crankset : XTR 970 cranks, Ethirteen single ring 32t, BrandX chainring bolts, XT BB.
Pedals: Syncros AM clipless pedals (These are ridiculously lightweight, 310grams a pair)
Saddle: Kore T-beam
Seatpost : SDG aluminum I-beam
Seatpost clamp : QR, came with the bike (waiting for CRC to have stock of the white gusset clamp)
Wheelset: Hope Pro2, DT comp straight gauge spokes, brass nipples, Stans Flow rims, ducttape for rim tape, CST tubes and Intense 2.25CC tires.
Chainstay protector : cSixx chainstay protector. It's really nice and thick, and after abit of trimming looks like it came stock for the bike!

Whole thing weighs a hair under 28lb without the mudguard which I'm going to mount on. I'm a happy man. =)

Attachments

#8 ·
@Tinier, do you mind me asking how tall you are? I may be picking up a Dixon Frameset, but will be unable to ride it before I get it. I normally ride mediums, but it seems the Dixon may be a little big by the geometry. I'm 5'8", with a ~29" inseam. My biggest concern is that I have enough seatpost showing for a dropper post.
Cheers!

#9 ·
I'm roughly 5'8" (178cm tall) and my inseam should be about the same as yours. I have about 23cm of seatpost exposed to where the saddle rails are. Below is a picture of my friend's medium Dixon RC, he's about 5'10" and he has a KS adjustable seatpost with 100mm travel on it. He has a 36float RLC on his bike.

Attachments

#20 ·
Cheers. Built.

Only one short blast so far but initial impression is light, agile, stunning attention to detail on frame, very high build quality, bottomless travel and very aggressive. Build weight is 31lbs with gravity dropper, DH Bars and front tyre and a generally very tough build. Should be an immense ride for the mountains of Scotland.

#22 ·
Tried one this weekend... I was curious to try an AM bike and I didn't really like it much. I didn't like how it climbed and was not a fan of the Nevegal's either (maxxis fan here). But it was pretty good in descents, felt in control. It was ok, but it's not something I would buy personally.

Then right after I tried a Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 and got blown away and wanted to bring one home. :D

#24 · (Edited)
Why you say that? I'm not working for them at all. I just enjoyed the hell of a ride.

Anyway it was demo day setups. The Rocky Mountain one was much better. Bikes were more solid & they had my size. I'm not saying I didn't like the Devinci, I didn't like All-mountain bike.
I'm a XC rider, and when I fell on the Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 which is a XC bike with a AM flavour, it became an instant favorite. Riding experience was much better on the RM.
Still, I could only test Kona, Devinci and Rocky mountain so far (there were Giant's). I would like to be able to test out Cannondale & Specialized too but they are too cool for demo days. :p

#25 ·
Here's mine:

IMG_2331

Tires have been swapped out, since this photo was taken, to the new Conti Rubber Queen 2.2 UST w/ black chili, and the current weight comes in just under 31.5lbs. I built this bike up be able to handle some hard riding. Full parts list and review to come but I have enough time on the bike to say with confidence that I do not regret the purchase at all. The bike as setup rides great, both up and down.

#32 ·
Look at my pic above. That's how it came from the factory. My bike measured out to a 66 degree head angle, which with my Fox 36 at 160mm, is spot on for the slack setting. Looking at the chip, the way I see it looks like if you flip it around it would push the seat stays down and back relative to the shock linkage. This would steepen the head angle and raise the bottom bracket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.