mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Devinci compared to HD3

not looking for a slag down of either bike...more of a real world riding experience comparison. has anyone owned or been on both? likes, dislikes, similarities? differences?

just curious.

My brother is getting and HD3 and I will be on a spartan this season....just curious to see if others experiences are the same as ours...

will post this on the Ibis thread as well.

thanks.

ps. I will say the HD3 is probably the most beautiful bike out there in my eyes. I love the lines. not that the Spartan is ugly lol..i love it as well..but there is something about that HD3..... anyone else in that boat?

PPS. I hope I am not posting too much.....love talking bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
    not looking for a slag down of either bike...more of a real world riding experience comparison. has anyone owned or been on both? likes, dislikes, similarities? differences?

just curious.

My brother is getting and HD3 and I will be on a spartan this season....just curious to see if others experiences are the same as ours...

will post this on the Ibis thread as well.

thanks.

ps. I will say the HD3 is probably the most beautiful bike out there in my eyes. I love the lines. not that the Spartan is ugly lol..i love it as well..but there is something about that HD3..... anyone else in that boat?

PPS. I hope I am not posting too much.....love talking bikes

Hello, I had the previous Mojo HD, 142X12 version in 160/26 and 140/27.5
    I own a Spartan for 9 months.
    The Mojo HD was a Great looking bike but the Spartan turns better, more neutral and I don't loose the front so often as the Mojo. Rear suspension of Spartan uses only the 70% of the travel (30% sag) and at the same time feels very smooth everywhere even on rocky terain. On the contrary Ibis was using all travel and sometimes was very harsh. Rear braking was better in Ibis, Spartan rear wheel is bouncing a little when unloaded.
    Now, new Ibis HD3 (a friend of mine has one) is longer and more linear than old one but has the same behavour in rear suspension.
    Last edited by vassot; 04-01-2016 at 06:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I own both bikes. I bought the Spartan after riding my HD3 for 4 months. I'm trying bigger and bigger stuff as my confidence grows and having more suspension is giving me the confidence to keep going to the next level. The HD3 came with a Fox Float CTD, which would let you know if you didn't land clean coming off a drop. The Spartan I don't have as much time on, but I built it with a Fox X2 and went to a 170mm Fork. I'm going to have to really up my game to make this bike make me feel like I shouldn't have taken that line or landed like that. It is soooo smooth and stable. I would say the bikes are not in the same class, but I know they compete in EWS against each other. After riding some slacker bikes with more squish I'm selling my HD3. For the riding that I like to do and features that I want to ride I want 65 degree HTA and at least 160mm in the back, but I don't know what or how you ride. They are some of the best bikes you can buy, if you want to ride rough, steep and get air the Spartan would be my choice, if you ride smoother, flowy trails the HD3 might be more playful and fun in that setting.