aka bOb

Devinci Atlas, why not?

I have a new Jet Rdo warranty frame on the way and thinking about selling it just to try something different. I was thinking going 27.5 to get a little more on a playful bike but it just wouldn't be feasible money wise to make the switch. I ride mostly xc with an occasional race for the fun of it but also play in the chunk some and with some gravity runs a few times a year as well. I'm in the midwest so endless climbing is not going to happen except for maybe a yearly vacation. Anyhoo I've been going over the geo numbers and I keep going back to the Atlas, what say you is it worth a try or is there something else out there I might be missing besides the usual? (Ripley, Mach 429, Yeti sb95, Turner Czar, Yeti ASR, Spesh Camber EVO) Oh and test riding any of these is not going to happen.

Thanks.....bOb

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Check this topic; it's got a few considerations about the Atlas you'll want to take into account. Most importantly: sizing and fit.

Devinci Atlas Carbon

I still love mine btw!

Norūwegr
    Banshee Phantom if you don't mind the weight. The flipchips that allow you to change the geometry gives it alot of versability.

To me, the seattube on the Atlas is too slack; but I love Devinci as a brand. If they update the design for next year I'd be all over it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was THIS close picking one up, but wasn't certain of the fit based on numbers alone. That's my only issue with it. Since then, the Salsa Horsethief/Spearfish redesigns basically bracket it. The Transition Smuggler looks comparison worthy as well. I love the idea of it and would have bought it in a second of I knew it would fit. I'd love to rock something welded up on this continent.

aka bOb
    I hear ya, fit wise it doesn't seem so far off from my Jet but the seat tube angle has me thrown for a loop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    And a genuine life time warranty.

aka bOb
    This impressed me.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/I_OMCMgIyuM?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/I_OMCMgIyuM?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Let me know what you end up with. I'll be shopping this coming summer and have many similar bikes on my list, specifically the ripley, yeti, the new 27.5 mach4 and a 5010 along with the atlas. Looking for something that works great around here in wi and the up, and that I can put a beefier fork and wheels on to take out west. Bike shopping in the mid west sucks!!

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by lawnboi View Post
    Bike shopping in the mid west sucks!!
    It sure does and most don't understand how bad it is. Luckily I have all winter because it is time for some fat fun in the snow.

Rohloff
    Devinci's are fairly popular around my neck of the woods. I've heard of nothing but good things about them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Time to get a Devinci forum section NOW.

mtbr member
    I have had my carbon Atlas now for almost a year. I wanted to try out a 29er and also wanted a backup bike for my 26Ē Nomad. I did a bunch of research on 29er geometry and 29ers before deciding on the Atlas. First few months I had it built out more as a XC bike with a Manitou 120 Tower and lighter XC tires ect. , I have since converted it into a light weight AM/trail bike with a Pike 140, dropper seat post and bigger tires ect...
    Itís my first 29er bike and only one I have ridden so donít have any other 29ers to compare it to. I enjoy riding mine almost as much as my Nomad, but that is ďalmostĒ. Itís fairly nimble and playful for having big wheels with its short CS and WB, and itís a lot roomier than the Nomad with a longer TT.
    So I think if you are looking to stay with 29Ē wheels and want a 29er that is playful that can be built out as a XC or light trail bike then yes look at the Atlas.
    With that said, it makes me want to go out and ride it So think I am going to go take it out for a spin here this morning, itís been a few weeks since I have ridden it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    how tall are you and what size atlas frame did you go with ? iam looking to get this frame but the sizing omg , iam coming off a large stumpjumper fsr and iam about 5-11 " with 32 inseam the stumpy fit me fine , but iam concerned that the large atlas may be to reachy ? sucks not having a test bike to try out fit (

aka bOb
    Kinda funny how most every website shows different geometry for the carbon version, hopefully Devinci has it correct on theirs.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Unforgiving View Post
    how tall are you and what size atlas frame did you go with ? iam looking to get this frame but the sizing omg , iam coming off a large stumpjumper fsr and iam about 5-11 " with 32 inseam the stumpy fit me fine , but iam concerned that the large atlas may be to reachy ? sucks not having a test bike to try out fit (
    To me unless I am looking at it wrong the large Atlas looks pretty much inline with the large 2015 Stumpy for effective tt but the Atlas looks shorter in the reach due to the slack seat tube angle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    ya i was thinking that also , iam thinking large the more i think about it

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My buddy picked up an Atlas in AK and fell in love with it. He was riding a Remedy prior and I believe the rear suspension is comparable although I heard that the Devinci suspension resembles the Maestro (Giant)? Anyway everything I've heard tells me that Devinci is nailing the 29er bikes.

mtbr member
    iam about 5-11 " with 32 inseam (
    I'm the same height, and I demoed a medium.... I definitely would go Large for myself. The M would need around a 110 mm stem to fit me... not what I want.

Also, even when I was riding the M with more seatpost exposed, I never really noticed the SA as being weird, but maybe after several rides, I could pick it out. I think the only time the SA might become a problem for some, is if you have long legs and short torso, but I don't know.

I think it will make a great trail bike, that is more playful than many. Price and warranty are pretty hard to beat.
    Last edited by d365; 11-03-2014 at 08:40 AM.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    I'm the same height and inseam as you and went from a large stumpy fsr to a large atlas aluminum. No problem with the fit.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVID J View Post
    I'm the same height and inseam as you and went from a large stumpy fsr to a large atlas aluminum. No problem with the fit.
    What do you think of it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was musing over Devinci for a long time before trying an Atlas XP out (Alum) and completely loved it over a Stumpy FSR or Comparable Trek.
    I too was mostly going for XC type stuff with a bit of rough decents and couldn't be happier with the Atlas. I'm going to have to sell my Niner as well to get it but I feel it's worth it for the price and value.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    What do you think of it?
    I'm really happy with it. I'm in New England and it suits my riding style and terrain well. It's much more flickable in the tight sections of trail tho it does require a bit more attention on the fast down hills. Tracks really well, very responsive to out of the saddle efforts, suspension remains active when braking on down hills. The split pivot works well.

aka bOb
    Cool thanks, I think I am going to go for it. Just need to unload one of these first
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Devinci Atlas, why not?-%24_57.jpg