Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Bring out the Devinci Spartan!!

Wes over at Motorangutan just got this:

Bring out the Devinci Spartan!!-spartan.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Awesome, can't wait to get one. Wish I was in the first batch. I also think they should do a limited run of the alltricks paint

mtbr member
    Here's mine. I have a couple of weeks on it and it's a ripper!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hey do you have any feedback yet for the ones that are thinking of getting one?? i want to change my Specialized Enduro for this Devinci Spartan but havent seen any real test reviews out there, thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've been taking out the XP build of this bike because my Dixon is waiting on a fork warranty. Holy balls this thing soars! I want this bike; what torture! The suspension is the best performer of anything I've tried, been demoing late model Santa Cruz, Giant, and Ibis. Pick your feature, preload the suspension, and fly 2x the distance of my Dixon, which is no slouch. I would love to try one with carbon wheels and front triangle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab View Post
    I've been taking out the XP build of this bike because my Dixon is waiting on a fork warranty. Holy balls this thing soars! I want this bike; what torture! The suspension is the best performer of anything I've tried, been demoing late model Santa Cruz, Giant, and Ibis. Pick your feature, preload the suspension, and fly 2x the distance of my Dixon, which is no slouch. I would love to try one with carbon wheels and front triangle.
    Thanks for the information! Just what I was looking for! Did you feel the bike a little heavy uphill? I'm looking to replace my 2013 specialized enduro comp 26 for this Spartan, what are your impressions up and down hill? How does it behaves in sharp turns?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The XP build is not light, ~34lbs in large, and I can feel it on extended climbs. I think this can be mitigated by swapping the Super Gravity HDs and the Jalco wheels. No doubt the Jalcos are anchors, though they do feel pretty stiff.

I have been a snob in the past about travel adjust forks, but I use the dual position air on this bike, and feel it is justified.

The back end doesn't track as close as the Dixon on tech climbs, and I feel like I can't thread through stuff as precisely, but you can tractor over stuff a little better due to greater small bump sensitivity, probably even more so if I got the gearing I like.

Pedaling is excellent in the big ring, though I do notice feedback in the little ring. I don't care, as I'm a 1x guy, and would rip that front derailleur off as soon as it's mine. Fire road climbs I use the compression switch on the Monarch and it eliminates the small amount of bob in full open.

I think the smartest route to making this a trail bike would be to go the XP build and swap out crankset for a 1x and change wheels immediately, ride the HDs till the side knobs die (6 weeks max), then put on something more reasonable and shreddy like XR4s.

Cornering is predictable. I've been getting the suspension dialed, so I can't say I've pushed it to the max. It's really easy to find the balance point in any given situation. I can get more over the front than I can on the Dixon in turns. Not sure if the suspension is in Hi or Lo mode.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The XP build is not light, ~34lbs in large, and I can feel it on extended climbs. I think this can be mitigated by swapping the Super Gravity HDs and the Jalco wheels. No doubt the Jalcos are anchors, though they do feel pretty stiff.

I have been a snob in the past about travel adjust forks, but I use the dual position air on this bike, and feel it is justified.

The back end doesn't track as close as the Dixon on tech climbs, and I feel like I can't thread through stuff as precisely, but you can tractor over stuff a little better due to greater small bump sensitivity, probably even more so if I got the gearing I like.

Pedaling is excellent in the big ring, though I do notice feedback in the little ring. I don't care, as I'm a 1x guy, and would rip that front derailleur off as soon as it's mine. Fire road climbs I use the compression switch on the Monarch and it eliminates the small amount of bob in full open.

I think the smartest route to making this a trail bike would be to go the XP build and swap out crankset for a 1x and change wheels immediately, ride the HDs till the side knobs die (6 weeks max), then put on something more reasonable and shreddy like XR4s.

Cornering is predictable. I've been getting the suspension dialed, so I can't say I've pushed it to the max. It's really easy to find the balance point in any given situation. I can get more over the front than I can on the Dixon in turns. Not sure if the suspension is in Hi or Lo mode.

Woww nice review I want to buy the RC model but changing the fork for a Pike dual position and the shock for a Cane Creek DB air CS, I think this will make the bike a little heavier but do you think the dual position in the fork will help a lot when climbing? I want to leave the rest as it comes, do you think this bike is a little heavy for enduro racing? I'm more like a rider that goes up hill to enjoy downhills, I'm not willing to do xc with the bike. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Here's a little info I posted on another site:

Sure thing, I'm happy to share what I've experienced so far.

For reference I'm coming off of a Yeti SB66 Carbon. I rode a SB66 (first alloy, then carbon) for about two and a half years and it was an amazing bike, so the switch to the Devinci was mostly just for a change of pace.

Compared to the Yeti, the geo is pretty close with a few tweaks that I consider improvements - mostly the steeper seat tube angle. The reach on the medium is almost identical, the chainstay length is the same, the head angle is a wee bit slacker and as a result the front center is slightly longer. The steeper seat tube is apparent when climbing and it climbs very well. I've ridden it with the shock "open" about 95% of the time so far and don't really feel the need for a platform unless it's a road or dirt road climb. It pedals great all around too, no complaints there. The Pike and the Monarch feel similar and balanced. I'm riding it in the low/slack position and it rails. The BB is 337mm (spot on to Devinci's numbers)which is nice and low for a 165mm bike. Jumps great too. So far, so good. I'll comment further after I've got more time on it.

In my experience Specialized bikes rely heavily on the damper (via platform/lockout) to minimize unwanted suspension movement. The Spartan does not. It pedals fine with the shock wide open and I'd only use the low speed compression switch for long, smooth road climbs. Also, all models (Xp/RC/RR) have a Dual Position Pike on them. Mine is 30lbs even and the wheels are the best place to upgrade if you want to drop some weight/improve performance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey, Dogboy, thanks for your input. Are you riding a large? Do you happen to know how much your wheelset weighs?

One thing I'm not so excited about is the cable routing. There are two sets of bosses on the down tube, one top one bottom. The top bosses can hold three cables. Everything gets lumped together in a nerve bundle, so if you want to mess with one cable you have to mess with all of them; the quick clips won't work. The rear derailleur cable feeds under the chainstay, rather than through it on my Dixon. I can see pluses and minuses to this, as it sucks trying to push the housing through the partial internal routing on my Dixon.

mtbr member
    Hey, Dogboy, thanks for your input. Are you riding a large? Do you happen to know how much your wheelset weighs?

One thing I'm not so excited about is the cable routing. There are two sets of bosses on the down tube, one top one bottom. The top bosses can hold three cables. Everything gets lumped together in a nerve bundle, so if you want to mess with one cable you have to mess with all of them; the quick clips won't work. The rear derailleur cable feeds under the chainstay, rather than through it on my Dixon. I can see pluses and minuses to this, as it sucks trying to push the housing through the partial internal routing on my Dixon.
    I'm on a medium (5'9.5" tall for reference). The wheels are Industry Nine Torch Enduros and weigh 1680g for the pair. I'm pretty pleased with the cable routing. I'd much rather have them on top of the down tube rather than underneath - the front derailleur cable is the one underneath. I agree about the chainstay cable routing. I like the routing through the chainstay, but the difference in dropout design dictates running it externally. I will say that so far the cable isn't showing any signs of abuse with the routing below the chainstay and I've ridden some really rough trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Re: Bring out the Devinci Spartan!!

Got my large yesterday. I'm transferring XTR 1x bits from a dead yeti so the build should be in the 30lbs range depending on what I do with wheels/tyres.

In the Uk I wasn't able to buy frame-only so I have an Xp build kit to dispose of.

Not at all sure on wheel options. I settled on Crossmax Sx on my yeti. Crossmax enduro wts is of no interest. All my friends seem to be going down the LB carbon route. Think I ride a bit too heavy for them. Currently looking at wildcard option of Syntace W30/W35.

One question about the reverb stealth cabling. There seems to be a big hole in the front of the seat tube all set to funnel mud and water inside the frame. Is this normal? Do people use any sort of grommet?

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by petercarm View Post
    One question about the reverb stealth cabling. There seems to be a big hole in the front of the seat tube all set to funnel mud and water inside the frame. Is this normal? Do people use any sort of grommet?

I'm not using a grommet but I'm sure you could fab something up. To be honest I don't see how much is going to get in on the front side of the seat tube. Sure there is going to be muck coming off the front tire, but the downtube is so wide I can't see much of anything getting past it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    I'm not using a grommet but I'm sure you could fab something up. To be honest I don't see how much is going to get in on the front side of the seat tube. Sure there is going to be muck coming off the front tire, but the downtube is so wide I can't see much of anything getting past it.
    I suppose I've always reckoned UK riding can be guaranteed to get mud in the parts other countries can't reach. Oh well. I was used to tipping my Yeti SB-66A upside down to get water out of the seattube. I guess there will be new rituals with the Spartan. I may try a Shimano Di2 grommet; probably too small but cheap and available so worth a try. Secondary concern is vibration and the frame taking chunks out of the hose or vice versa.

Wheels sorted. Syntace W30s were in stock and they are on their way. A bit lighter than I'd maybe prefer but they took my fancy. I may think again about the HD Super Gravity on the back. 150mm Reverb Stealth is coming with a RH remote (that I'll run upside down on the left).

I think my initial build is now all lined up. Pictures will follow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Pictures will follow.
    The build is probably a little to light in the wheels (Syntace W30=1580g) and rear Hans Dampf (2.25 Evo). Comes in at 28.8lbs without pedals

Bring out the Devinci Spartan!!-uploadfromtaptalk1405067355976.jpg
    Bring out the Devinci Spartan!!-uploadfromtaptalk1405067408229.jpg
    Bring out the Devinci Spartan!!-uploadfromtaptalk1405067316827.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Which build did you get. I have the XP and would like to get the weight down. Looking at wheels and tires. I can't find the weight on the jalco wheels. Would this be the best to lighten up the weight. Thought?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Gagnon4325 View Post
    Which build did you get. I have the XP and would like to get the weight down. Looking at wheels and tires. I can't find the weight on the jalco wheels. Would this be the best to lighten up the weight. Thought?
    I transferred a load of components from my old 26er and added the light wheels, so my build isn't anything like the official builds. The Jalcos are pretty heavy but also think about whether you need Super Gravity casings on the tyres.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks. I am looking at wheels and def going to lighten it up. I just need to figure out where to go with it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Sweet looking bike. I really enjoy riding mine but just need to lighten it up a little.

mtbr member
    Great write up & pics guys!

Now that folks might have a little more ride time on this bike, can you guys elaborate a little more on its climbing capabilities?

This bike is at the top of my list right now! To me the geo is spot on! I like the fact that this bike is aggressive but not over the top DH long and slack (Nomad/Reign...). Im sure Id mostly be riding this bike in high mode for trail rides where Id be pedaling up to smash every down along the way, but I love that you can adjust geo for the longer DH rides. I already have a park bike for lift assisted riding and all around DH, so I dont need my daily driver to fill those shoes. I dont race (only on Strava) but I do ride hard and aggressive and dont mind a compromise in climbing for a benefit on the downs. Living in SoCal, I will be climbing this bike pretty much on every ride.

So...How well does the Spartan climb in high mode? How well does it handle steep, technical, extended climbs? Hows the low BB in low mode, pedal strikes? Hows the pedal bob? Ive never ridden a Devinci or a Split Pivot for that matter. On the downs do you notice any excessive brake jack? Im going to becoming off an Iron Horse DW 6point. Been on this bike for almost 7 years and need something different. Im on the shorter side of 510 and would be considering a medium. My 6point is a medium but sized small with a 22 top tube and a 25mm setback post. Ive always felt cramped on the bike. For guys riding a Med and similar height; how do you find the sizing of the frame? I need a longer sized frame but I dont think Id need to jump frame sizes, any thing will feel bigger than my 6point.
    Lastly, can any one compare the ride characteristics of the split pivot to a DW link, or even a VPP. And maybe, has anyone been on both the new Nomad and the Spartan and can compare? Sorry to inundate this thread with all these questions, just super stoked on this bike and trying to dig up a little more info. Anything will be appreciated!

Carbon frames should start rolling out in October! Heres a stock pic to keep the stoke alive!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bring out the Devinci Spartan!!-2015-spartan_carbon_sx____.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The climbing is fine and then some. On a steep (1 minute) pitch that I had set a previous Strava best with my SB-66, I smashed it today. The secret is to get it set up soft enough so there is traction and bump swallowing. Up until this weekend I'd been running it too stiff to get the best out of the climbing.

The same setup also let me improve a Strava KOM time I hold on another technical trail. I had a few changes in setup... and hit the KOM time four runs in a row.

I'm riding in the high setting all the time. I'm on 175 cranks and low is too low for general use. If I really wanted it, the change in geo is very quick (less than a minute).

DW link bikes are different for every design. I've had a few goes on a too small Mojo HD and liked it. The geo on the Spartan is much better suited to me though. This is my second split pivot and I think it is a really good system. Simple and effective. Reliable.

I'm on a large.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Quote Originally Posted by pulpwoody View Post
    Wes over at Motorangutan just got this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spartan.jpg 
Views:	5357 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	900583
    Man I love fresh cardboard but throw a fresh hot black frame like that on top then OMG!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp
    '9x Spec' Hardrock Cromo rigid

mtbr member
    The climbing is fine and then some. On a steep (1 minute) pitch that I had set a previous Strava best with my SB-66, I smashed it today. The secret is to get it set up soft enough so there is traction and bump swallowing. Up until this weekend I'd been running it too stiff to get the best out of the climbing.

The same setup also let me improve a Strava KOM time I hold on another technical trail. I had a few changes in setup... and hit the KOM time four runs in a row.

I'm riding in the high setting all the time. I'm on 175 cranks and low is too low for general use. If I really wanted it, the change in geo is very quick (less than a minute).

DW link bikes are different for every design. I've had a few goes on a too small Mojo HD and liked it. The geo on the Spartan is much better suited to me though. This is my second split pivot and I think it is a really good system. Simple and effective. Reliable.

I'm on a large.
    Good stuff petercarm! Thats exactly what I want to hear!!!

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    So many good (enduro) things so limited resource to spend to try it. Devinci Spartan is definitely there with others like pivot Mach6, Intense T275, new NomadC, Knolly Warden and yet to come Ibis and Yeti SB6c. They are all high on the list with wide range of pricing as we'll.
    How's the Spartan stack up among others is anyone have ridden some of them?
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    I've got about 2 1/2 months on mine now and just under 50,000 feet of climbing. It climbs very well whether it's a techy, rocky climb or a long, smooth grind on a forest service road. I hardly ever use the compression switch on the Monarch, but I have used it on some smoother climbs and it does firm up the ride. Of course it absolutely slays on the descents. I ran it in the low setting for the first couple of months and switched it to the high setting a couple of weeks ago on a road trip to some particularly rocky trails in PA and WV. I'm running 170mm cranks and you have to be mindful of your pedals, but having a rear hub with good engagement helps when you need to ratchet through a section. I'm around 5'9"/5'10" and find the medium to be perfect for all-around riding. If I was using the bike exclusively for aggressive/park riding I might consider a large with a 35mm stem, but I think the medium is right for my use. Like petercarm I'm coming off of a Yeti SB66 carbon (also a medium, similar fit) which was an exceptionally good bike and the Spartan compares favorably with the main difference being slightly lower, slightly slacker, and with a little steeper seat tube angle which helps with your climbing position. All in all extremely pleased with the Spartan.
    Last edited by Dogboy; 08-20-2014 at 04:15 AM.

mtbr member
    I've got about 2 1/2 months on mine now and just under 50,000 feet of climbing. It climbs very well whether it's a techy, rocky climb or a long, smooth grind on a forest service road. I hardly ever use the compression switch on the Monarch, but I have used it on some smother climbs and it does firm up the ride. Of course it absolutely slays on the descents. I ran it in the low setting for the first couple of months and switched it to the high setting a couple of weeks ago on a road trip to some particularly rocky trails in PA and WV. I'm running 170mm cranks and you have to be mindful of your pedals, but having a rear hub with good engagement helps when you need to ratchet through a section. I'm around 5'9"/5'10" and find the medium to be perfect for all-around riding. If I was using the bike exclusively for aggressive/park riding I might consider a large with a 35mm stem, but I think the medium is right for my use. Like petercarm I'm coming off of a Yeti SB66 carbon (also a medium, similar fit) which was an exceptionally good bike and the Spartan compares favorably with the main difference being slightly lower, slightly slacker, and with a little steeper seat tube angle which helps with your climbing position. All in all extremely pleased with the Spartan.
    Thanks for the sharing your update Dogboy! The more I hear about this bike, the more fired up I am to get one!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Have mine on order. Medium Spartan carbon in the Enduro colours. should arrive in the country in December

cant wait for it to arrive!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by PSimpson7 View Post
    Have mine on order. Medium Spartan carbon in the Enduro colours. should arrive in the country in December

cant wait for it to arrive!
    Sweet! That's going to feel like a long wait!

Can anyone recall what size crank arms come with the stock builds? Preferably size med... Devinci website doesn't specify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator Z View Post
    Sweet! That's going to feel like a long wait!

Can anyone recall what size crank arms come with the stock builds? Preferably size med... Devinci website doesn't specify.

My medium came with 170mm cranks.

mtbr member

My medium came with 170mm cranks.
    Awesome, thanks! That's what I was hoping for.

dmo
    mtbr member
    I'm looking into getting a Spartan, either small or medium. I'm 5'6" , should I get the sm or med?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo View Post
    I'm looking into getting a Spartan, either small or medium. I'm 5'6" , should I get the sm or med?
    I am 5'6" and went with the small. I am running a 50 stem on it now but may try a 60. I did not get the chance to ride a medium but the numbers on the small where really close to the numbers on the hardtail I built that I had been riding the most.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSOXBHK View Post
    I am 5'6" and went with the small. I am running a 50 stem on it now but may try a 60. I did not get the chance to ride a medium but the numbers on the small where really close to the numbers on the hardtail I built that I had been riding the most.
    curious to see how you like the small as i'm similar height and ride a med mojo hd but found a med on a tracer too big. the wheelbases on the 27.5 are getting so long i would prefer the more agile feel of the small. I dont like to feel cramped though and usually i run a setback post on my mojo because i have a long torso.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Curious, for those who are on a Spartan, if you'd ridden/demo'ed or considered a Nomad as well, I'd very much appreciate your thoughts on why you chose the Spartan. I'm looking at a situation where I could pick up similar builds from shops I would equally be interested in supporting and I'm having a hard time making a decision. I've been on both, they feel good to me, but I wasn't able to compare them in succession so it's hard to say.

Seems to me that the carbon Nomad X1/SLX is about 2.5 pounds lighter (+/- for different standard tires), and about $600 more expensive (but with better hubs/rims) than the carbon Spartan. Of course the Spartan also has the nifty suspention flips...

Again, I'd love to hear if you had considered both and how you ended up picking the Spartan (or maybe you didn't).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polishtea View Post
    Curious, for those who are on a Spartan, if you'd ridden/demo'ed or considered a Nomad as well, I'd very much appreciate your thoughts on why you chose the Spartan. I'm looking at a situation where I could pick up similar builds from shops I would equally be interested in supporting and I'm having a hard time making a decision. I've been on both, they feel good to me, but I wasn't able to compare them in succession so it's hard to say.

Seems to me that the carbon Nomad X1/SLX is about 2.5 pounds lighter (+/- for different standard tires), and about $600 more expensive (but with better hubs/rims) than the carbon Spartan. Of course the Spartan also has the nifty suspention flips...

Again, I'd love to hear if you had considered both and how you ended up picking the Spartan (or maybe you didn't).
    I'm in a similar situation where i would like to hear the pluses and minuses of both. I like the shorter wheelbase (on paper) of the Spartan and the fact that it is a very boutique type frame that i am unlikely to see on the trails. On the other hand the 1lb weight diff between the frames puts me more in the Nomad camp...having ridden a vp free for several years i feel its kind of like a lightweight version of that- but that long wheelbase has got me worried it wont be that manueverable. How tall are you? my other problem is i am on the cusp of the med but slightly big for the small frame size. i also have a long torso which means i need a longer toptube...so yea interested to hear how this plays out. will be demoing a nomad prolly in the next two weeks-

mtbr member
    Polishtea and nighthops - I don't have any time on a V3 Nomad, but I did have a V2 carbon Nomad and have been riding a Spartan since early-June. I've also ridden lots of other bikes in the travel range of these bikes. The Nomad was released about the same time as the Spartan and I was considering one of those as well. For me the main draw to the Nomad was unquestionably the weight - at the time there was only the alloy Spartan. Now that there is a Carbon Spartan option the comparison is more even, though the Spartan is still likely a little heavier. I really, really like the way Devinci Split Pivot bikes ride. They have a lively feel with a nice progressive spring curve and no really funky quirks. I've owned a Dixon and a few Wilsons and they've all been awesome. The Spartan is very much in line with my previous Devinci bikes with regards to ride quality. As far as geometry goes the Nomad and Spartan are really close. The reach is almost identical for a given size as is the chainstay length. The head angle is a bit slacker on the Nomad and that's where the additional wheelbase length on the Nomad comes from. Regarding manueverability, the fact that the chainstays are about the length means that the two bikes are going turn about the same. I've found that longer stays make a bigger difference than front-center length when it comes to turning. All that said I wouldn't hesitate to ride either bike. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Sounds like you're saying, in my case at least, that the decision can be made on which I value more, about $600 or about 2 pounds of bike.

Somehow that doesn't make it easier...

mtbr member
    Sounds like you're saying, in my case at least, that the decision can be made on which I value more, about $600 or about 2 pounds of bike.

Somehow that doesn't make it easier...
    I can guarantee you that a Nomad V3 and Carbon Spartan with identical builds will not be 2 pounds different - shouldn't be over a half pound apart. My alloy Spartan frame isn't 2 pounds heavier than a Nomad V3.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    hm, looks like my specs I jotted down were wrong, yeah it is a lot closer than that. So from the looks of it, it's JUST the chain stays that are aluminum on the carbon spartan.

Other than the somewhat subjective viewpoint that the nomad's vpp might be a better climbing system, they seem nearly the same. And the Devinci's frame paint job is by far and way the better look...

mtbr member
    The build is probably a little to light in the wheels (Syntace W30=1580g) and rear Hans Dampf (2.25 Evo). Comes in at 28.8lbs without pedals

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405067355976.jpg 
Views:	1323 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	907330

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405067408229.jpg 
Views:	4527 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	907331

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405067316827.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	907329

How are you liking your Syntace W30's? I have pretty much settled on getting the W35's for my next build. Just need to decide on the frame and the Spartan definitely has my interest. Spartan, SB6c or the Uprising? Too many great choices these days and that's a good thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    How are you liking your Syntace W30's? I have pretty much settled on getting the W35's for my next build. Just need to decide on the frame and the Spartan definitely has my interest. Spartan, SB6c or the Uprising? Too many great choices these days and that's a good thing.
    The W30s are excellent. I'd have gone with W35s but the W30s were in stock for immediate purchase. Even the W30s support big tyres very well and I run pressures just above 20psi. The front tensions were spot on. I build wheels myself and I felt the rear tensions were a little bit off. However Syntace threadlock the nipples and the tensions have stayed consistent in use and I have not attempted to retension.

Just like everybody says, the freehub is louder than any other. Makes me pedal rather than freewheel when going through quiet villages.

Running single ply tyres on an uplift day I have managed to dent the rear rim when I pinch flatted. W35s should be more resistant but tyre choice was wrong for the day.

I've not attempted tubeless yet but was planning to give gorilla tape a go.

The hubs are excellent. Same sort of quality as DT240s with a little bit of extra Syntace obsessive engineering. I got the front hub that adapts to 20mm axles. This was an important point for me. Even if the rims eventually fail (after appropriate abuse), the hubs will have a long life with my pick of replacement rim.

mtbr member
    The W30s are excellent. I'd have gone with W35s but the W30s were in stock for immediate purchase. Even the W30s support big tyres very well and I run pressures just above 20psi. The front tensions were spot on. I build wheels myself and I felt the rear tensions were a little bit off. However Syntace threadlock the nipples and the tensions have stayed consistent in use and I have not attempted to retension.

Just like everybody says, the freehub is louder than any other. Makes me pedal rather than freewheel when going through quiet villages.

Running single ply tyres on an uplift day I have managed to dent the rear rim when I pinch flatted. W35s should be more resistant but tyre choice was wrong for the day.

I've not attempted tubeless yet but was planning to give gorilla tape a go.

The hubs are excellent. Same sort of quality as DT240s with a little bit of extra Syntace obsessive engineering. I got the front hub that adapts to 20mm axles. This was an important point for me. Even if the rims eventually fail (after appropriate abuse), the hubs will have a long life with my pick of replacement rim.
    Thanks for the review. Syntace seems to be the best kept secret for quality components.

The Spartan really is intriguing. Seems like the perfect trail bike for the Alps.

mtbr member
    You know I may just get this bike just for the simple fact that every time I lower the seat and get ready to drop in I get to yell.....

Name:  this-is-sparta.jpg
Views: 3854
Size:  86.1 KB

HOOOO

mtbr member
    Anyone try a 170 fork? I'm thinking a 180 Fox 36 lowered to 170 would be pretty sweet on the Spartan. Unless RS comes out with a new Lyrik. I wouldn't mind a rc3evo TI zoke but I think white would clash with the multi colored frame, plus the Evo is heavy.

This thread needs more photos.

Bring out the Devinci Spartan!!-1635240-kyjcgakh6t12-original.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Mine cant be far away now! I will upload pics when I get it!

In terms of 170/180mm forks I have got a set of Formula 35's on order. I went for the 160mm version but they also do a 170/180mm version.

I shied away from running more than 160, but only really as I ran 180 floats on my V2 Rune which with no lock out etc were pretty hard work at times!

the 170-180mm Formula 35's only weigh 1795grams, and are available in black with black stanchions

ThirtyFive 27.5" Formula

Could be worth a look?! I will let you know how mine go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    Anyone try a 170 fork? I'm thinking a 180 Fox 36 lowered to 170 would be pretty sweet on the Spartan. Unless RS comes out with a new Lyrik. I wouldn't mind a rc3evo TI zoke but I think white would clash with the multi colored frame, plus the Evo is heavy.

This thread needs more photos.
    I'm running a 170mm 36 on mine, stellar fork so far. Not a big change in the stance of the bike since the A-C is only 7mm or so more than the 160mm Pike. A wee bit slacker (like 65.5 in the low setting) and the BB is still nice and low. Pairs up nicely with the DB Air CS too. A couple of pics

mtbr member
    I'm running a 170mm 36 on mine, stellar fork so far. Not a big change in the stance of the bike since the A-C is only 7mm or so more than the 160mm Pike. A wee bit slacker (like 65.5 in the low setting) and the BB is still nice and low. Pairs up nicely with the DB Air CS too. A couple of pics

Sweet. How are you liking the fox compared to the pike? Is it a 2015?
    I read a review somewhere that said the Spartan straddles the line between poppy and plough. It will erase a rockgarden but still fly in the air as soon as you want it too. Planted but still able to pop over to a new line. Can anyone confirm this? Im guessing from the above photo it flys pretty well.

I am a Nomad
    Swissam, did you manage to get a test ride of the Spartan? What is you review of this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tp806 View Post
    Swissam, did you manage to get a test ride of the Spartan? What is you review of this?
    No not yet. I've been too busy plus I'm going to wait until the snow melts to test it on some real trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thank you for the great review and comments. We will be ordering a new Spartan 27.5 Carbon Frame in First Quarter of FY '15. We will keep you posted.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Sparta!!

Stoked !! Just got my frame!! Now to get started on the build!!

Shout out to fanatic bike in Bellingham!! Shipped the frame to Alaska with a quickness!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bring out the Devinci Spartan!!-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    How durable is the carbon version of spartancross it comes with life time warranty?-
    Has anyone tried Db online with spartan?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Quote Originally Posted by rave81 View Post
    How durable is the carbon version of spartancross it comes with life time warranty?-
    Has anyone tried Db online with spartan?
    I wouldn't have any doubts about the durability but just remember that warranties cover manufacturing faults and material faults.

Durability comes into play just in the general rough and tumble of mountain biking. Anybody can be unlucky but technically (and actually) the warranty does not cover you and instead you are reliant on crash replacement policy. I've not yet broken one of my Devincis (Dixon al, Spartan Al, Leo SL) so I have no idea of how the crash replacement policy would be exercised via your dealer.

Maybe it is better to focus on the first part... the product is strong, well-built and rides great. The carbon is not much more expensive than the aluminium. I'd happily ride a carbon and in the unlikely case of bad luck I'd take my sob story back to the dealer and expect to pay a discounted price for a crash replacement.

mtbr member
    A sweet video of the Spartan under Ian Morrison (Whistler ripper)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Picked my New Spartan on Friday. Carbon Size XL, X01, Pike, Ibis Wheels. Broke her in on Saturday on some pretty agressive trails that would overwhelm the Troy that I am coming off of, it obviously shined on them.
    Overall it is quite a bit stiffer, slacker, and has more of a DH bike feel than the Troy. The M/M tune on the Debonair feels spot on, where the Debonair I put on the Troy required a retune to a L/M. I was suprised how well it climbed, possibly better for technical climbing than the Troy, but the extra weight of the frame certainly will be a detrimant on long grinds.

Pretty stoked so far, the only worries I have is that this bike will be overkill on the less agressive trails around here that I love like SST at Galbraith, but the more rowdy stuff is going to be a blast..

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    When did you order yours? Or if anyone else wants to chime in on thier ordered to delivered time.

I put in an order for a carbon Spartan in early November (might have been just before halloween actually), and they said likely end of December, now they're saying maybe by the end of January.

I've watched two people wait over 9 months for Norcos and I'm getting a little anxious!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    When did you order yours? Or if anyone else wants to chime in on thier ordered to delivered time.

I put in an order for a carbon Spartan in early November (might have been just before halloween actually), and they said likely end of December, now they're saying maybe by the end of January.

I've watched two people wait over 9 months for Norcos and I'm getting a little anxious!
    Ordered late summer(Aug/Sep). Received in December. Fanatik Bike Co

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

spartan order

Where did you order it from? I got my size M carbon spartan in less than a week, i ordered it in the beginning of december from Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham Wa - Your source for bikes from Intense, Devinci, Evil, Banshee, Norco, Ibis and more!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Regionally local shop in Oregon, one of the few places that carried the brand and are fans of the trail system I help build.

mtbr member
    Regionally local shop in Oregon, one of the few places that carried the brand and are fans of the trail system I help build.
    Crow's Feet Commons?

mtbr member
    Posted my first impressions ride review on my trail blog.

Deception de·cep·tion: 2015 Devinci Spartan Carbon : First Ride Impressions

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    sweet, thanks for sharing your input. I cant wait to get mine!

So what was the weight out of the box with the jalcos'etc?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by sb1616ne View Post
    sweet, thanks for sharing your input. I cant wait to get mine!

So what was the weight out of the box with the jalcos'etc?
    Just guessing that it's a tad over 32.

I'll add my second ride impressions soon - lots of climbing today and some good fast downhills with drops. Tech climbs with steep switchbacks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Really loving this bike so far. Climbed 1500' to get to this summit. I expected a worse climber than it was.

So where the hell did you guys put these?

mtbr member
    I think most of that goes on the chain stays.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by calvus View Post

So where the hell did you guys put these?

Yeah they go on the Chain/Seat Stays.
    Here are some pics from my bike I just picked up:

mtbr member
    ^That is where there were on the demo I rode. My frameset and XP build kit are in the back of my truck right now. I am curious to know if these protectors are attached or loose...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hunrugger View Post
    ^That is where there were on the demo I rode. My frameset and XP build kit are in the back of my truck right now. I am curious to know if these protectors are attached or loose...
    They should come loose with any build or frameset.
    Mine were installed by the bike shop before picking it up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My frameset has finally arrived!

And the forks...

This is as far as I have got so far. Wheels and tyres wont be the final ones but they fit so I can build it using them.

mtbr member
    Nice. As of 7pm tonight...aside from being on borrowed wheels mine is done! Well, I need to "fit and finish" it...determine my stack and further cut the fork, possibly trim cables.

I will do a proper photoshoot when my wheels arrive this week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks Nisti. Appreciate the pics. Kinda feel like a dumbass after looking at them again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by calvus View Post
    Thanks Nisti. Appreciate the pics. Kinda feel like a dumbass after looking at them again.
    No worries, I would've wondered the same thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    A few things I need to remedy on my Carbon Spartan after a few rides.

I am thinking the Debonair could use a Low compression tune. I guess they come with the medium tune for pedalling, but it's a little harsh and dead feeling to me. I have the Low tune DH piston in the Debonair is was running on my Troy. I will swap that out and see how it goes.

The steat stay yoke that wraps around the rear tire is a major mud catcher. Need to rig up a fender that.

The Aluminum down tube/stealth cable protector is heavy and a mud catcher as well. I tried to cut up an old moto fender to replace it but it came out ugly. Not sure what to do here. I'll stick some moto foam in there if I keep running it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ^^true story. Post pics with your rigging.

Couldnt take the FD anymore and threw on this 30t. Will see how the long forest road climbs go.

So clean

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nice morning in the woods. In the high altitudes the sun was beaming through the fog and cutting spears of light through the woods. No real justice with photo.

mtbr member
    Video of the Spartan Carbon handling some of the biggest stuff Austin has to offer. Might not look like much, but there are several 4-6 footers with one being closer to 8. This was only my second ride on it...after being limited to my HT 29er for a year...it'll take a little time, but I'll get my air legs back.

I had some good technical climbing footage that shows there's not much sacrifice in that dept, but who wants to watch that...

Watch in HD!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    rugger, was that a single trail in that video? I don't think I've ridden that stuff.

mtbr member
    Anita, sent you a PM.

I also wanted to add that the Spartan truly does climb well. I rode at Emma Long this week and cleaned sections I have rarely cleaned before. I've ridden Emma on everything from a cheap old Giant Rincon, C-Dale Gemini (7"), Titus Motolite, Chumba XCL, Schwin Homegrown Ltd, Salsa El Mariachi, about the only thing I haven't ridden there is a full sus 29er. The climbs at Emma are not long, but they are very chunky, full of stair steps - most of which are spaced horribly for any wheel size, many are very loose, often have multiple turns.

The Spartan allowed me to keep my momentum going up - roll over anything in front of me while the rear absorbed the hits and kept traction - almost gently pushing me over obstacles. I honestly expected to be sacrificing technical climbing by getting the Spartan, I am very pleasantly surprised that is not the case.

As expected hauling a$$ on the few fast downhill sections the Spartan is simply bada$$ and confidence inspiring.

Examples of Emma (photo credit MrMentallo):

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sounds awesome. Just the kind of bike I'm looking for, longer travel but still can climb the technical stuff that we have around here well. I'm just waiting until I have a clear weekend with good weather to do a demo.

Have you been riding it in the low or high position? Also, what length cranks are you running? I usually run 175s but I'm considering 170s on this next bike for clearance when pedaling through rocks and such.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just got back from a week of shredding in Sedona and Phoenix area.I had been riding the bike in the low position on my local PNW trails, but Sedona has tons of technical little climbs, so day 2 of the trip I swapped it to the high position, (whihc is super easy) and left it there for the rest of the trip. The Steeper SA and higher BB made it climb like a goat, at a bit of a sacrifice on the downs, with the steeper HA.
    I got to say the more I ride this bike the more I am impressed when things get fast and rowdy, it's so composed and intuatitive it's eery.

mtbr member
    Size question.. @ 6' would L or XL be the way to go?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    FWIW I am 6' with long arms and legs. In a parking lot test the XL felt like it fit me better

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am 6'2" on an Xl with a 50mm stem. At 6'0" the XL would probably fit great with a 35mm stem if you like a longer top tube and wheelbase

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita Handle View Post
    Sounds awesome. Just the kind of bike I'm looking for, longer travel but still can climb the technical stuff that we have around here well. I'm just waiting until I have a clear weekend with good weather to do a demo.

Have you been riding it in the low or high position? Also, what length cranks are you running? I usually run 175s but I'm considering 170s on this next bike for clearance when pedaling through rocks and such.
    I'm running it in the factory setting, which is LOW. I have 175mm cranks. I strike some rocks, but not a big deal. I was considering 170s, but I've always run 175s.

It will be interested to see the trade off when(if) I switch it to the HIGH setting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm 5'10 should I go m or l size?
    any known issues with Spartan frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am 5'8 and have a medium with a 30mm stem. seems spot on for me.

Quality of the carbon frame version I have seems very high. No issues so far but I have only had mine a month. very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    What the weight of the carbon version?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    What the weight of the carbon version?
    6.6 pounds according to the Devinci website.

8 pounds for the alloy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita Handle View Post
    6.6 pounds according to the Devinci website.

8 pounds for the alloy.
    What about complete bike with xx1?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    What about complete bike with xx1?
    Well, don't think they have a model with xx1. The RR model is 29.2 pounds.

mtbr member
    I just got to ride one of these this week here in Utah and I must say, this bike impressed me more than I expected it to. Enough so, that I bought a friends lightly used AL one. This was right after buying and spending some time on a YT Capra Pro. I love both bikes and will be doing back to backs for a while on these before I deem one king over the other but first impressions are that, although both are great climbers for the travel they have, the Spartan seems to have a little better climbing geometry and climbs as efficiently without the pedaling platform engaged whereas on the YT I feel like I need to flip the climbing platform switch (and keep in mind the YT is lighter and a higher end build than the Spartan). The Spartan seems to also react more efficiently when standing up on sprinting climbs to eek out that little extra oompf when needed. On descending, their both fast but the YT seems almost too slack for tighter corners if it's not a super steep trail (I have yet to get the Spartain on something really steep but the YT kills in that kind of terrain). Even with the Spartan in the slack mode it feels snappier around the corners than the YT. I hate to say it, because it's a beautiful bike, but there's a chance I might sell the YT. The verdict is still out though and in the meantime, I'll ride them both. For what it's worth, if anyone is looking for a med Spartan in the Alloy version then I'm actually thinking I might upgrade to the carbon frame so if someone wants a deal on the frame then hit me up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Anyone here using an angleset to slacken the bike? Seems like it would lessen the BB drop and keep the chain stay shorter? Is that even possible with this frame?

mtbr member

She's complete now...

The only changes I expect to make are tires once the Nobby Nic's wear out (I typically run a Hans Dampf in the front)... Thanks to Uncle Cliffy for the info on Slik Graphics for the fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Love my Spartan!

Switched from Hans Dampf to Minion DHF front and rear, and a Vivid Air R2C. I'd like to replace the Jalco's with some carbon, but for now these will do the trick. I absolutely love this bike! Fantastic traction on the climbs, pedals fine without a lockout. It doesn't feel quite as supportive when climbing or hammering out of the saddle as my Mojo HDR, but then on the way down it feels like I have more traction. Descending, it's awesome. Super active but feels bottomless and composed on the big hits. I really dig the geometry and the stiffness and the way this bike handles corners, it's got that kind of feel where the faster you go, the harder you lean it, the better it feels.
    Last edited by AustinC; 06-20-2015 at 03:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Here is mine now its finally finished:

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

vivid air

Quote Originally Posted by AustinC View Post
    Switched from Hans Dampf to Minion DHF front and rear, and a Vivid Air R2C. I'd like to replace the Jalco's with some carbon, but for now these will do the trick. I absolutely love this bike! Fantastic traction on the climbs, pedals fine without a lockout. It doesn't feel quite as supportive when climbing or hammering out of the saddle as my Mojo HDR, but then on the way down it feels like I have more traction. Descending, it's awesome. Super active but feels bottomless and composed on the big hits. I really dig the geometry and the stiffness and the way this bike handles corners, it's got that kind of feel where the faster you go, the harder you lean it, the better it feels.

Set the player to 1080p for best viewing:

how are you liking the vivid air on the spartan? iv been contemplating getting a vivid air for the spartan with some offset bushings to slacken it a bit further for bike park riding. So far the bike is amazing! great for big alaska hike a bike epics!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I went a couple months between riding the bike with the Monarch and with the Vivid on it, so unfortunately I can't really comment on how much improvement there is between the two. I will say I'm super happy with the Vivid Air. My thinking was the only downside is it's a little heavier and has no lockout lever. I never use the lockout anyway since it's a DW suspension design and the bike pedals great without it. And of course the Vivid gives more tuning options to get it set up just right.

mtbr member
    ^^That Devinci is a work of art! Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I finished putting mine together on Monday night and hit the trails last night. Need to tweak tire pressure and fork/shock but the fit felt really good and it climbed and descended very well.
    The rainbow paint scheme is absolutely stunning in the sun. I got multiple compliments on it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Any deals to be had for frame only or is everyone paying full msrp?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast