locked - time out
    Nov 2015

Atlas 29 feedback.

Hello I am looking for a FS 29 race bike. I found some bike called a Devinci Atlas. Man it sounds exactly what I need on paper. I ride a rigid SS but need an endurance race bike. Was looking at the spearfish,horsethief,anthem,genius,spark, fuel,czar etc. You get the point. This bike sounds like it climbs like crazy and that's my biggest let down with FS bikes. I hate bobbing up and down trying to rip a climb. I can descend on any bike. This is just a bonus.

Is the Atlas 29 racy enough? Or is it a slow turning tank that climbs well and that's it? Trying to find the balance of fast handling and suspension. Not all slacked out cadillacing along like a camber or something.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LaneDetroitCity; 01-31-2016 at 08:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The Atlas would make a great xc race bike, it is neither slow turning or a tank.
    I think Devinci made a mistake by dropping the Atlas/29ers from its current que, this bike was ahead of its time imo, look at the market and the new boom in short and slack 29ers coming out.
    Only positive is for us, I got a great deal on my frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The Atlas would be a great endurance race bike. Even my alloy frame in size XL is only 6.8 pounds with shock, axle, and seat collar, which is pretty competitive for as burly as it is. The rear suspension is more efficient and not as active as say a FSR bike. There is enough room in the rear triangle for up to 2.4" tires, at least with my 1x drivetrain.

Of course, the bike has very short chainstays, and was ahead of it's time in that regard 2-3 years ago. There are many more short CS bikes now. Where the Atlas remains different is in it's very short wheelbase, which is due to the relatively short front center (in addition to the short CS). In this regard, it will not feel like a Cadillac at all. However, the BB is very low, which makes it more stable than the other numbers might suggest.

I highly recommend a fork of at least 120-130mm, to slacken the HTA and extend the front center for the descents, and raise the BB to a more reasonable height. Unfortunately, this will also slacken the STA more. To counter this, slide the seat all the way forward on a zero offset seatpost. I'm actually going to try my dual position 150/120 Pike to see how it performs with a slack (68 degree) HTA and a little longer front center. I'm going to use a Thompson offset seatpost to get the saddle further forward, which is like having a steeper STA. I'm also going to use a 10mm longer stem (70 vs 60mm) to gain back some effective reach and keep the seat ergos and weight balance the same. I measured a BB drop of 37mm with a 120mm fork. A 150mm fork will decrease the drop to ~26mm, which is still a fair amount. Devinci actually had a model (RX I believe) with a 140mm fork, so the frame can handle it.

If I was a Devinci engineer, I'd bring this bike back with a little slacker HTA, a lot steeper STA, and a 30mm longer front center. The Hendrix is pretty close, with the right STA/HTA, but that frame is a lot heavier (8 pounds IIRC) and they might have gone too far with the 85mm longer front center!! Apparently, the manufactures think we all want trail bikes with downhill wheelbases now, or riders aren't skilled enough to maintain control without them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I really like the Atlos, climbs better then my pyga oneten29!
    Is also way lighter and better suited for marathon riding.

The pyga is better DH....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I race an Atlas in 100 mile races and XC. It's great for your intended purposes. I have my chip in the XC position and a 120 fork. Mine is 24lbs, and it just works. I'd try to find a NOS soon, or cross your fingers the cryptic rumors of a follow-up are true.

With Boost being forced upon us, I think my dream of a newer version allowing low q-factor cranks is not going to happen. Does spending mental bandwidth worrying about 3mm per side of q-factor mean I have 1st World Problems?

locked - time out
    Nov 2015
    Is yours the carbon? Thank you.

Thank you also to other responders. I have been meaning to respond in detail with some follow up questions. I'm confident it's exactly what I need running a 120 RS1. Just ordered that on clearance now the frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Is yours the carbon? Thank you.

Mine is. I'm going to put one of the RWC bearing shock hardware kits on the top tonight. If the hype about increasing small bump compliance is true, I will be ridiculously happy.

Norđwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by euro-trash View Post
    If the hype about increasing small bump compliance is true, I will be ridiculously happy.
    There's a night and day difference in the smoothness of the suspension with the RWC imho.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have one in carbon and it climbs great but I would not say it climbs like crazy. If you are coming off a rigid bike you will have to get use to a squishy, regardless of what it is.
    I would not call it a xc bike but i would not call it a trail bike either.
    More of a tweeter bike. Putting a 120 mm fork on it slacks it out a bit instead of making it more xc. It has a pretty short top tube so you might have to run a pretty long stem to get xc geo.
    Regardless, I really like the bike.