mtbr member
    Mar 2011

anyone riding a 2016 spartan?

just curious if anyone has the new 2016 spartan?

if so..thoughts? likes? dislikes?...typical trails you are on?

I am going back and forth between a troy and a spartan....things that push me towards the spartan are a better/bigger suspension platform....I am a heavier rider and I also hit the resorts a few times a year. but I wonder if the climbing ability of the spartan is that much lower than the troy...

thoughts??

mtbr member
    I have a Spartan (but not a 2016). It climbs just fine and crawls over technical sections like a tractor or you can power over them xc style. As long as you're not in too much of a hurry to get up the hill (compared to a lighter, shorter travel bike).

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've never been a speedy climber in the first place....I just don't want to become even slower or push more lol. I'm going back and forth between a Troy orbs Spartan. I am hoping to get new bikes for my wife and I....luckily we ride the same sized frame (she's tall I am average lol) so I am considering one of each.....so I can steal her Troy when I go and ride a bit more xc style trails and have the Spartan for the rest of the time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have a 2015 build. As flipnidaho said,it will climb just don't be in any rush to get to the top. I don't think you will be disappointed with either the Spartan nor Troy. I also a a larger guy so that is what pushed me to the Spartan instead of some of the other offerings. My only thought, (not the bikes fault) is Pedal smashing… i am running 175mm cranks.That one is my fault. But on a whole I don't think there is to much else i would change.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Does it come with 175 or 170mm cranks?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I believe it comes with 170mm cranks. 175mm is doable. But on our more crazy climbs, it is very easy to smash a pedal, especially when I start getting sloppy when tired.

mtbr member
    You can also long shock a Troy to get 157 mm of travel and 160mm fork that could strike a balance between the two.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i have considered a 160mm fork on the troy...that may be a great way to go as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    what shock would get Troy to 157mm in rear? 7.785x2.25 or 8.5x2.5?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GFreak View Post
    You can also long shock a Troy to get 157 mm of travel and 160mm fork that could strike a balance between the two.
    On the 2016 model ?

mtbr member
    The Troy is a perfectly capable bike without "long shocking" it. The additional 16.5mm (roughly) will not make it any more capable, but it will throw the geometry out of whack which is a poor trade off IMHO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    hmmm perhaps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    sx build vs RR build?? thoughts??

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you don't want to go with a full custom build i would go with the sx build. Then take the extra $$$$ and put that to upgrades and tuning. IMPO… I am on the top end of 200lbs and for me to get the sag on my Spartan at 30% my air pressure is about all the pump will give. with that being said the bike has never felt harsh, climbs well, and still allows for full on plow thru, or playful antelope like bounding… over all felt fantastic…. Increase the sag to 40% and the bike is will gobble up almost anything you can convince yourself to throw it down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I can't speak for the Troy, i have never even seen one out here. But as you can tell i am really impressed with how the Spartan handles what i have put it through so far.

90% of my riding spots have short, steep,punchy, technical climbs and the same on the downs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sickboy6913 View Post
    I can't speak for the Troy, i have never even seen one out here. But as you can tell i am really impressed with how the Spartan handles what i have put it through so far.

90% of my riding spots have short, steep,punchy, technical climbs and the same on the downs.
    and you don't find it too slack or too heavy for those punchy technical bits?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    slack? no. not really.. it takes a bit more body english on some climbs but it is perfectly manageable . heavy? mine is 30lbs even and i already know how to drop 1-2 lbs….. but it is still perfectly manageable . i could probably loose more weight to climb better than what 2 lbs would do… what ever i might be missing in the easier climbs if i had the troy, i know i make up for in the downs, the flick ability,and the piece of mind that if i hit up Mountain Creek for the day i wouldn't have to second guess my bike and much as my personal skills.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thanks sickboy, great info...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    The Troy is a perfectly capable bike without "long shocking" it. The additional 16.5mm (roughly) will not make it any more capable, but it will throw the geometry out of whack which is a poor trade off IMHO.
    I respectfully disagree, since the i2i length remains the same geometry is not affected. Long shocking the Troy goes a long way especially if you're hitting chunky style trails at speed. The stock Troy uses its travel extremely well although when going fast the rear can get a little unwieldy. A large percentage of us who have owned Troy's in the Pacific NW have long shocked them.

Admittedly I owned a 2014 Troy and I cannot say with 100% certainty that the arch on the seatstay will not contact the seat tube at full compression on the revised 2016 frames.

If you decide to go this direction you would need a 2.25" stroke shock with the same i2i.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I respectively disagree, since the i2i length remains the same geometry is not affected. Long shocking the Troy goes a long way especially if you're hitting chunky style trails at speed. The stock Troy uses its travel extremely well although when going fast the rear can get a little unwieldy. A large percentage of us who have owned Troy's in the Pacific NW have long shocked them.

Admittedly I owned a 2014 Troy and I cannot say with 100% certainty that the arch on the seatstay will not contact the seat tube at full compression on the revised 2016 frames.

what shock length did you go to?

mtbr member
    It would be the same i2i as the stock shock with a 2.25" stroke.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    pics?

mtbr member
    I respectfully disagree, since the i2i length remains the same geometry is not affected.
    You are correct, the geometry is preserved and only the end stroke position changes. This can be limiting in the Low setting with regards to tire choice, correct? Or is there plenty of clearance across all frame sizes regardless of tire size? I still feel that the extra bit of travel gained doesn't really equate to the Troy being any more capable and still miles apart from the Spartan - I've owned both.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    You are correct, the geometry is preserved and only the end stroke position changes. This can be limiting in the Low setting with regards to tire choice, correct? Or is there plenty of clearance across all frame sizes regardless of tire size? I still feel that the extra bit of travel gained doesn't really equate to the Troy being any more capable and still miles apart from the Spartan - I've owned both.
    having owned both...which makes/made you grin like a school girl more?

mtbr member
    I only road my Troy in the low position and didn't have any problems with tire clearance. I did have to be a little bit more careful with pedal strikes but this was not much of a problem for me. I wouldn't say miles from the Spartan but would agree that the Spartan is still better on rowdy dh style trails. A long stroked Troy strikes a balance between a standard shock Troy and Spartan.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    a question on sizing though....I am going back and for on sizing...md or lg. I am 180.5 cm on the dot...which is on the upper end of a md and the lower end of a lg. I am longer bodied and shorter legged.....I prefer a longer cockpit but I worry about the SOH on the lg.

anyone have any real world experience on a md or a lg that is around my height etc....

thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I am 6'0" (183cm) and i run a LG and i find its fit no problem. But I am about average with my proportions. I doubt i am of any real help but the reach on the spartan is a little on the shorter side. The stand over shouldn't be a problem either. the seat tube length is on the linger side for the frame. i have a reverb stealth and the collar is all the way down and i find that it is just perfect at full extension. if i recall it has 125mm of travel

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sickboy6913 View Post
    I am 6'0" (183cm) and i run a LG and i find its fit no problem. But I am about average with my proportions. I doubt i am of any real help but the reach on the spartan is a little on the shorter side. The stand over shouldn't be a problem either. the seat tube length is on the linger side for the frame. i have a reverb stealth and the collar is all the way down and i find that it is just perfect at full extension. if i recall it has 125mm of travel
    interesting. I am hoping to be in some shops soon to try sizing. I did sit on the norco range today...which has a similar sizing as far as top tube length...lg felt great...not stretched out but not compact either. I prefer a shorter stem too....