mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm 26 2013 Specialized Enduro Comp or 2015 Devinci Spartan

Hello Everyone, i have a 2013 Specialized Enduro Comp and im looking to change it for a 2015 Devinci Spartan (RC) but with a Rock Shox Pike dual position and a Cane Creek DBCS, does anyone have any feedback about this devinci spartan, for what i have seen it looks like its a kick ass bike but havent seen any test reviews about it, can anyone compare that enduro with the devinci spartan as described?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I just ordered the Spartan XP. Should have it today or tomorrow. I'm coming off a 2013 Trance X 29er. Can't really comment on your specific question ... but I should be able to give you some feedback on how the Spartan rides in like a weeks time. At least initial thoughts if you're still considering the bike.

For me, I wanted to move to a more versatile all mountain platform, but without completely losing the bigger wheel advantages. The Trance was an awesome bike for general trail riding, and for climbs, but suffered on any real technical downhills, and was a bit BIG once airborne. I was running through the travel quickly on serious stuff, and hence control.

My choices for a more "all mountain" rig were the Santa Cruz Bronson and the Devinci Spartan. I demoed the Bronson, and it was markedly better at the techy downhill stuff, while still climbing quite well. I got a better deal on the Spartan, so I couldn't pass it up. I've ridden more Rock Shox forks than Fox, and I find RS to be more forgiving in overall feedback... small bump and big hit compliance. Considering the Spartan comes with a Pike and RC3 Plus at this price point, I couldn't really pass that up. I'll only be switching to a 1x wolf tooth, and ditching the front derailleur completely. Hopefully that will help get me closer to 30 lbs.

I'll respond back once I've had some time on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thank you for the feedback, looking forward to your review on how the bike rides, regards!

Quote Originally Posted by mmcdonou View Post
    I just ordered the Spartan XP. Should have it today or tomorrow. I'm coming off a 2013 Trance X 29er. Can't really comment on your specific question ... but I should be able to give you some feedback on how the Spartan rides in like a weeks time. At least initial thoughts if you're still considering the bike.

For me, I wanted to move to a more versatile all mountain platform, but without completely losing the bigger wheel advantages. The Trance was an awesome bike for general trail riding, and for climbs, but suffered on any real technical downhills, and was a bit BIG once airborne. I was running through the travel quickly on serious stuff, and hence control.

My choices for a more "all mountain" rig were the Santa Cruz Bronson and the Devinci Spartan. I demoed the Bronson, and it was markedly better at the techy downhill stuff, while still climbing quite well. I got a better deal on the Spartan, so I couldn't pass it up. I've ridden more Rock Shox forks than Fox, and I find RS to be more forgiving in overall feedback... small bump and big hit compliance. Considering the Spartan comes with a Pike and RC3 Plus at this price point, I couldn't really pass that up. I'll only be switching to a 1x wolf tooth, and ditching the front derailleur completely. Hopefully that will help get me closer to 30 lbs.

I'll respond back once I've had some time on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by carloscid View Post
    Thank you for the feedback, looking forward to your review on how the bike rides, regards!

So, I've had 3-4 rides on the Spartan after getting it built. I'll try to give you first impressions.

Coming from a 29er with 120mm of travel, this bike has an obviously different look and feel to it right out the box. In a positive way. For one, the bike is beautiful. Love the matted black and silver/white paint job. The Pike is just sick. The updated Monarch RC3 appears super beefy, and looks equally sweet. As for the frame, it looks like you could take into battle. A lot of TLC went into designing that frame. Guess this is why it's on the heavier side on paper.

As for weight, the XP package is listed as 33lbs on paper. I immediately removed the front shifter and derailleur. Put on a 32t 1x. Figured I may have cut close to 1 lb by doing this. Bike feels right around 30-32 lbs... but I don't have a scale to weight, so just guessing.

Now to the ride. I started it out on a fairly flat but rooty trail. I was very interested in this test to see how a bit hitting fork would handle all the small bumps. I was shocked how smooth the Pike is on roots. That was the SOLE advantage (for me) to having the 29er on these kinds of trails. the 29er shined on the XC stuff with a bunch of roots. Would breeze through them. I was pretty nervous that even the 27.5 wheels would give back a bunch of feedback, and coupled with the beefy fork, would piss me off on all the in-between XC type of riding that the average rider like myself is gong to hit everyday that I ride. Not so.... I would argue that with the (still slightly bigger wheels) and the Pike, roots are on par or slightly better than my 29er at times.

I then hit a few climbs and downhill sections that wind around. To the climbs first. As per the reviews I read, this bike climbs reasonably well given 160mm of travel. I don't feel that I can give a fair assessment here yet because both days that I rode were like 100% humidity, and I was personally just drained of energy that I normally have. So the climbs and overall ride was like riding through sand at times simply due to the weather. Having said that, the bike didn't really feel all that heavy to me compared to what I'm used to on my Trance. I'll get back to you on the climbs as I get more time on the bike. I can kinda see where you might want to switch the rear shock to climb mode to get an ideal setup, but we'll see.

Moving onto general trail riding with berms and switchback at speed. The bike is now in it's element here. Complete fun. Very snappy and quick. A blast to ride through anything remotely technical.

I rode some extended DH sections yesterday that had some nasty roots/rocks. Wow, does this bike love that stuff. Just eats it up. The Pike just shines on tight techy stuff. Never felt out of control (like on the Trance in these conditions).

Lastly... and I wanted to save this for last. Both trails that I rode have some decent sized jumps and drops. I've tackled a few of them on the Trance, but never felt horribly comfortable on the 29er with bigger jumps... so I often would just steer around these features. I'll go as far as saying that I was terrified of a few jumps on these trails before. On the Spartan, for some reason I just felt super confident, and that the bike was just meant for this stuff. I hit literally every one of the jumps that I faced on both trails. All I can say is that my jaw hit the floor as I had so much fun on these jumps. The bike has amazing control on jumps, and you feel like you're landing on a cloud after each one. I've literally become a more confident rider and I feel a better rider with this bike. It's that much fun.

Anyways, hope this info helps. I'll probably be posting some more reviews as I get more rides in. Especially on the climbing as strangely enjoy the challenge of a climb before you're presented with a super fun downhill section.

Good luck with your decision.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I love my Spartan, put a 30t on the front 1x and it makes it much better on the climbs. I am surprised at how well it handles even with the slack angle. I have not flipped the chip yet, so not sure how that improves things. Have a little trouble with the bracket height being low, but flipping the chip should help. It rails in turns and totally agree with the above , like a cloud when landing.. I want to climb , just to descend..

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I would like to add that I've had a chance to do some nice climbs on the Spartan, and I'm happy to say that is breezes up hills. I suspect that the active pedaling of the split pivot is to thank for this. I just has crazy traction going up hills.. very efficient pedaling platform in all area's. My wife was riding her 29er Anthem, and switched with me a few times. She immediately noticed the difference, and was stating how much better of a climber the Spartan was. She just sold her Anthem, and bought a Troy yesterday